Jon Ellis Meacham (//; born May 20, 1969) is executive editor and executive vice president at Random House. He is a contributing editor to Time magazine and editor-at-large of WNET, and a former editor-in-chief of Newsweek. He won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography for American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. Meacham also wrote Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power (2012). Additionally, he is currently a Visiting Professor of Political Science at Vanderbilt University.
Jon Meacham, 2014
|Born||Jon Ellis Meacham
May 20, 1969
Chattanooga, Tennessee, US
|Occupation||Writer, journalist, editor|
|Alma mater||The University of the South, The McCallie School|
|Notable awards||Pulitzer Prize|
|Spouse||Margaret Keith Smythe Meacham|
From May 2010 to April 2011, Meacham was co-host with Alison Stewart of Need to Know on PBS. He is also a frequent guest on MSNBC's Morning Joe and has appeared multiple times on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher.
He is also a frequent contributor panelist on many CNN programs, such as the Don Lemon Tonight and Anderson Cooper 360
- Voices in Our Blood: America's Best on the Civil Rights Movement (editor). New York: Random House. 2001. ISBN 978-0-375-75881-2.
- Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship. New York: Random House. 2003. ISBN 978-0-8129-7282-5.
- American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation. New York: Random House. 2006. ISBN 978-0-8129-7666-3.
- American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House. New York: Random House. 2008. ISBN 978-1-4000-6325-3.[A]
- American Homer: Reflections on Shelby Foote and His Classic The Civil War: A Narrative (editor). New York: Random House. 2011.
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power. New York: Random House. 2012. ISBN 978-1-4000-6766-4.
- Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush. New York: Random House. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4000-6765-7.
- "Profile". Department of Political Science. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Calderone, Michael (April 24, 2009). "Newsweek's Meacham prepares to leave the magazine | The Upshot Yahoo! News". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Jon Meacham (June 15, 2010). "Authors". Newsweek. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Commentary Magazine article". Commentary Magazine article. October 16, 2010. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "2009 Pulitzer Prizes". www.pulitzer.org.
- Gregg, Becca (2010-05-23). "Dickinson College sends graduates into the world". The Sentinel. Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Joe: Donald Trump's hostile takeover of the Republican Party". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Meacham: Bush knew exactly what he was saying". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- Real Time with Bill Maher (2016-01-22), Real Time with Bill Maher: Overtime – January 22, 2016 (HBO), retrieved 2016-06-30
- Real Time with Bill Maher (2015-04-17), Real Time with Bill Maher: Overtime – April 17, 2015 (HBO), retrieved 2016-06-30
- "Ep. 350 April 17, 2015 Real Time With Bill Maher". HBO. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "The 2009 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Biography or Autobiography". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-11-26. With biographical blurb and dustjacket description.
The Legacy of The George H.W. Bush Administration, interview by, Weisberg, Jacob M. February 17, 2016, transcript.
- Official website
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Interview about Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship, Booknotes, February 15, 2004
- Meacham discusses Franklin & Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library
- Jon Meacham at Library of Congress Authorities, with 7 catalog records