Jogayya Indian Kannada-language film starring actor Shivrajkumar and directed by Prem. This is the 100th film of Kannada actor Shivrajkumar and the shooting began on his 49th birthday. It was produced under the banner of Prem Pictures. Rakshita Prem, who is the wife of the director Prem, is the producer of this film. It is the sequel to the 2005 blockbuster film Jogi. The film was released on 19 August 2011 in more than 245 theaters across Karnataka to mixed reviews from critics.
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Rakshita Prem|
Sumit Kaur Atwal
|Music by||V. Harikrishna|
|Box office||₹22 crores (Music, Satellite and Distribution Rights) |
₹5.5 crores (first week screening)
The movie starts with Dr. Rajkumar and Parvathamma Rajkumar blessing Shivarajkumar (as Madesha), explaining value of birth, prayers of baby and that of parents for birth. The movie takes place almost 3 years after the incidents from the first movie.
A group of police officers capture and torture Madesha's accomplices to reveal his current location. The police department comes to a conclusion that he has moved to Dubai. Upon release they meet Bhubaiyya and verbally abuse Madesha for his betrayal. The story shifts to Mumbai where Madesha works as a servant in the house of Vidya and her father. He changes his name to Mahadeva so as to forget his past. Vidya's marriage is fixed with an astrologer from Karnataka who seems to vaguely recognise Madesha. This causes him to remember the events which caused him to leave his native.
Following his mother's death Madesha continues to live the life of a goon. He has a change of mind after getting humiliated by a doctor and mocked by his friends. Knowing that once entering into the crime world will not give a second chance in life, he leaves the place without informing anyone.
Madesha decides to leave Mumbai as he is troubled by the presence of Vidya's fiance. His fellow mates in Mumbai kill a gangster who had destroyed their lives and secretly moves to a coastal region from where they plan to go to Dubai. Madesha who spots them at the beach joins them. But before leaving the coast, they are cornered by Karnataka police officers who arrest Madesha and take him to Karnataka. While taking him to court Madesha finds that Bhubaiyya has been killed in an accident. This shatters him. While at the court, he sees several people awaiting his death. He is puzzled and equally heartbroken.
Vidya who recognises her true love for Madesha calls off her wedding despite the warning from her fiance that Madesha will die in six months and moves to Karnataka to save him. She meets an advocate and with her help they prove the innocence of Madesha. Once released from the prison, Madesha assembles his former gang and resumes his criminal activities. After escaping an attempt on his life, he meets an old man who has a clear explanation regarding Madesha's earlier predicament.
When Madesha left Bangalore, the mafia decides to meet a new gangster who will allow them to evacuate people, take their lands, introduce drugs etc. something which Madesha was against. Appanna who aspires to be the next Jogi(the title given to Madesha) volunteers to help them. He spreads terror and kills innocent people by claiming to be on behalf of Jogi thereby making Madesha a scapegoat. Sensing danger the old man goes in search of Madesha and eventually finds him in Mumbai. With the help of his friend who is the commissioner of police the old man manages to bring back Jogi. Bhubaiyya was killed by Appanna.
These revelations startle Madesha who sets out to be that gangster who helps people. He murders those mafia leaders who framed him and goes in search of Appanna. He solves the problems of people thereby gaining their support. He gets a new title of Jogayya (Ayya is a term of respect). Having enough of the gang wars, the Chief minister of Karnataka asks the police officials to prepare a list and encounter the goons. Appanna's mother seeks the help of Jogi to save her son. In spite of having a burning desire to kill Appanna for destroying his life, Jogi decides to help the mother. However Appanna is killed by the police. Jogi murders the criminal brothers of Naidu using a police gun who backs the government. An enraged Naidu withdraws his support given to the government resulting in the party losing majority and conduction of elections. Jogi decides to stand as a candidate. He is met by Vidya's father who reveals about her love for him. He goes in search of Vidya only to betrayed and brutally hacked by his Mumbai mates who had recently visited him.
He manages to survive due to his love for Vidya. Those who hacked Jogi are murdered by his friends. He sees the people who gathered around to see him. It is here revealed that the idea of murdering Naidu's brothers and the mafia leaders were given by the common men who were inspired by Jogi's good deeds. Jogi reconsider his decision to contest in election and reunites with Vidya. The people inspired by Jogi's speech swears to elect only those candidates who are eligible and capable.
The film was launched on 12 July 2010 in an event attended by South Indian film stars like Ambareesh, Chiranjeevi, Vijay and Surya. The songs of the film have been lavishly picturized. It is reported that the song shooting of odale has cost Prem ₹2.7 crores. In Haridwar, 300 sadhus (saints) were used for shooting this song which uses 3D technology. The film has been shot in Bengaluru, Mysore, Mumbai, Haridwar, Hrishikesh & other holy places of North India.
Due to the huge success of the film Jogi in 2005, there has been a tremendous interest generated for Jogayya in 2011. Although the film was scheduled to be released on 19 August, tickets of first three days were issued one week in advance. Within a few hours after initiating booking, all 3 days' tickets were sold out in the BKT region (Bengaluru, Kolar and Tumkur) of Karnataka. Black tickets being sold at exorbitant rates of up to ₹3,000 per ticket was reported. The movie has started seeing empty halls since the eighth week and has subsequently been replaced.
The Tmes of India rated 3.3 out of 5 and stating about "Shivarajkumar the hero, walks away with equal honours in the romantic sequences too, lighting up dull sequences in the movie. While Sumit Kaur has done justice to his role, Payana Ravishankar proves lively with dialogue delivery and body language. Pooja Gandhi impresses all in her role as a lawyer".
The film's music album was released on 19 May 2011. Jogayya has eight songs (including a theme) composed by V. Harikrishna and Ashwini Recording Company has bought the music rights of the film. More than 100,000 CDs and cassettes were sold within 5 days of music release, which is a record in Kannada Film Industry. Over 60,000 records were sold on the first day of market launch.
|1.||"Kuri Kolinaa"||Kailash Kher, Shreya Ghoshal, Vijay Prakash|
|2.||"Gangeye Avana"||Shankar Mahadevan|
|3.||"Thagalaakkonde"||Upendra, Priya Himesh|
|4.||"Jogaiah Baa"||Shreya Ghoshal|
|5.||"Yaru Kaanadooru"||Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal|
|6.||"Hetthavalalla Avalu"||Sonu Nigam|
|7.||"Odole"||Prem, Shreya Ghoshal|
|8.||"Mother Theme" (Instrumental)|
- "Jogayya on August 19". Sify.com (2011-07-13). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Shivanna's Jogayya releasing in 245 theaters. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-08-18). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Shivaraj Kumar's Jogayya fetches 6 crores from its rights. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-08-16). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Jogayya earns Rs 5.44 at Box Office in first week Archived 5 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Shivrajkumar, 100 not out!. Movies.rediff.com (2010-02-03). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Shivrajkumar, 100 not out! – Rediff.com Movies. Movies.rediff.com (2010-02-03). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- 'Jogi' creating history at box office. Indiaglitz.com (2005-12-06). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- "Jogayya finally releasing on August 19"
- Jogayya – Movie Review: A good family entertainer. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-08-19). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Review: Jogayya fails to live up to expectation. Rediff.com (2011-08-19). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Chiranjeevi, Vijay and Suriya launch Shivanna's Jogayya. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2010-07-13). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Jogayya song 'Odale' features 300 Sadhus from Haridwar. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-06-21). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Jogayya Craze – Will It Beat Jogi? Archived 17 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Grand Launch of "Jogayya – The Legend of the Underworld". Showfizz.com (2010-07-12). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- MSN Entertainment: 'Jogayya' publicity in full zoom. Entertainment.in.msn.com (2011-08-16). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Jogayya tickets sold out at Kapali, Bangalore. Thatskannada.oneindia.in (2011-08-16). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Black market rules Jogayya tickets sales. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-08-17). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Jogayya audio release. Sify.com (2011-05-19). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Jogayya audio CD sale crosses one lakh. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2011-05-23). Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
-  Archived 27 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine