Prem (film director)
Kiran Kumar (born 22 October 1978), known by his screen name Prem is an Indian film director in Kannada cinema. He is considered one of the star directors in the Kannada film industry. He started his film career from Hello yama doing a small role. Making his debut as director in the 2003 released Kariya, he directed back-to-back three successful films and is popularly addressed as Hatrick Director. He made his acting debut in Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide in the year 2008.
22 October 1978
|Other names||Karan MBA Gowda|
|Occupation||Film director, actor, playback singer, lyricist, Producer|
Rakshita (m. 2007)
|Parent(s)||Rajappa Gowda, Bhagyamma Gowda|
Prem was born as Kiran Kumar on 22 October 1976 in Maddur, in the Mandya district of the Indian State of Karnataka, to Rajappa and Bhagyamma. He is married to actress-turned-producer Rakshita and they have a son named Surya.
Prem started his career as assistant director in few Vishnuvardhan movies for Sunil Kumar Desai. Later, Prem became director in 2003 with Kariya, a gangster romance film starring Darshan in the lead. The film was critically acclaimed and appreciated by the audience. Prem was lauded for his casting of real life big dons to act in his movie. The soundtrack and cinematography was also widely appreciated. Darshan played a gangster struggling to express his love. The same year he directed a light-hearted romantic film Excuse Me with Ajay Rao, Sunil Raoh and Ramya in the lead roles. The film turned out to be a musical hit with many of its songs composed by R. P. Patnaik becoming the chart busters.
In 2005, Prem came up with his biggest blockbuster film Jogi starring Shivarajkumar, Jennifer Kotwal and Arundhati Nag in the lead roles. The film went on to make recording collections at the box-office. The mother-son sentiment theme was widely applauded and was considered as Shivarajkumar's biggest comeback film.
Following three back-to-back super hit films, Prem tried his hands on acting besides directing the film Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide in 2008. The film's pre-release promotions were held with much media attention and the expectations from the film was high rising. Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat made her debut in South Indian films with a special appearance. The film was widely popular for its melodious sound tracks. But the film was huge flop.
Prem next directed the film Raaj the Showman in 2010. The film starred Puneeth Rajkumar and Priyanka Kothari. The film is remembered mostly for its soundtrack by V. Harikrishna and cinematography. The movie was an average grosser at the box office despite the presence of the heavy-weights Puneeth Rajkumar and V. Harikrishna.
Prem, for the first time without himself directing, accepted to play the lead role in the controversial film titled Prem Adda, a remake of the Tamil blockbuster hit Subramaniapuram with music by V.Harikrishna directed by Mahesh Babu. Film made average collection in box office. Under his production house Premdreams he produced DK movie in 2014. Also done acting in the same movie.
|2007||Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2009||Raaj the Showman||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2018||Ambi Ning Vayassaytho||Yes|
|2019||Ek love ya||Filming|
|2003||"Brahma Vishnu Shiva"
|Excuse Me||R. P. Patnaik||Sang with chorus |
Co-sang with Madhukar
Co-sang with Gurukiran and Gururaj Hoskote
"Ee Preethi Yeke"
|Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide||R. P. Patnaik||Co-sang with C. Ashwath and Kalpana|
|2009||"Raajaa Heluvagella"||Raaj the Showman||V. Harikrishna||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|2011||"Odole"||Jogayya||V. Harikrishna||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|2012||"Baadigege"||Prem Adda||V. Harikrishna||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|2013||"Davva Davva"||Jataayu||Vinay Chandra||Solo|
|DK||Arjun Janya||Co-sang with Mamta Sharma|
|2018||"Tick Tick Tick"
"Rana Rana Raavana"
|The Villain||Arjun Janya||Co-sang with Kailash Kher, Vijay Prakash, and Siddharth Basrur|
Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal
|2019||"Amma Amma Ammaa"||Sinnga||Dharma Vish|
- Weekend with Ramesh Season 2 - Episode 1 - December 26, 2015 - Full Episode (in Kannada). Zee Kannada. 26 December 2015. Event occurs at 8:30. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- "Happy Birthday Prem". supergoodmovies.com. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Is prem the highest paid director of sandalwood? he makes sure producers' investment are safe". Filmibeat. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Prem says Salmankhan was all praise for this a list kannada actor and its not sudeep". Filmibeat. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Whenever prem and I collaborate, he experiments on me: Shivrajkumar". Times of India. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "'I follow shivanna and ignore the attacks'". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Director prem returns to acting". Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "I appreciate salman khans love for south indian films: prem". Cinema Express. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Prem's Ek Love Ya shooting begins today". Times of india. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Director Prem grabs attention with catchy title for next". Indian Express. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Sudeep laud prem, the villian is special". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Prem sings sentimental song for Singha". Cinema Express. Retrieved 16 February 2019.