This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
Jeongjong of Goryeo (923 – 13 April 949) (r. 945–949) was the third monarch of the Goryeo dynasty of Korea. He was the third son of King Taejo, the founder of the kingdom and was born more than a decade before Goryeo was formally established.
|Jeongjong of Goryeo|
Wang Yo (왕요)
|King of Goryeo|
|Predecessor||Hyejong of Goryeo|
|Successor||Gwangjong of Goryeo|
Gaegyeong, State of Goryeo, Three Kingdoms of Korea
|Died||13 April 949 (aged 25–26)|
Jeseok-won, Gaegyeong, Kingdom of Goryeo
|Queen Consort||Queen Mungong|
|House||House of Wang|
|Father||Taejo of Goryeo|
|Revised Romanization||Wang Yo|
|Revised Romanization||Munmyeong Daewang|
Jeongjong rose to the throne after his half-brother King Hyejong died, and set to reducing the power of various royal in-laws, including Wang Gyu and Pak Sul-hui. However, lacking the support of the Gaegyeong elites, he was unable to substantially strengthen the throne.
In 946, he spent 70,000 sacks of grain from the royal storehouses to support Buddhism in the country. In 947, he had the fortress of Pyongyang constructed as the country's Western Capital. He sought to move the capital from Gaegyeong to Pyongyang, but was not successful. Jeongjong became paranoid however that people inside the palace were conspiring to kill him and he then started to go insane. After four years of his reign, he died just after he signed a royal decree to make his brother, the fourth prince Wang So (known as Gwangjong), king instead of his son.
- Father: Taejo of Goryeo (고려 태조)
- Mother: Queen Sinmyeong (신명왕후)
- Grandfather: Yu Geung-dal (유긍달)
- Consorts and their Respective Issue(s):
In popular cultureEdit
- Portrayed by Kim Young-chan in the 2000-2002 KBS1 TV series Taejo Wang Geon
- Portrayed by Choi Jae-sung in the 2002–2003 KBS TV series The Dawn of the Empire.
- Portrayed by Ryu Seung-soo in the 2015 MBC TV series Shine or Go Crazy.
- Portrayed by Hong Jong-hyun in the 2016 SBS TV series Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo.
- Portrayed by Kim Min-jae and Lee Dong-wook in the 2017 TVN TV series Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.