Jane Zhang (simplified Chinese: 张靓颖; traditional Chinese: 張靚穎; pinyin: Zhāng Liàngyǐng; born October 11, 1984), is a Chinese singer-songwriter. Known for her signature whistle register, she was dubbed the "Dolphin Princess". Zhang debuted her singing career by winning the third place at the Chinese singing contest Super Girl in 2005. The next year she signed with the Huayi Music. Her 2006 debut studio album, The One , sold more than one million albums in China. Zhang's second studio album, Update, was released in 2007. Buoyed by the success of pop single "We said", Update became one of the best-selling album of 2007 in China. In 2008, she released a song with Andrea Bocelli titled "One World,One Dream", The song for Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. After signing with Universal Music Group in 2009, Zhang released her fourth studio album, Believe In Jane (2010), yielded the successful single "If This Is Love". Her fifth studio album, Reform (2011), sold eighty thousand copies within one month in China. which was ultimately certified Double platinum by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). Her live album, Listen To JaneZ Live, was released in 2012 and achieved number one in the Chinese music charts. In 2014, She signed with the Sony Music Entertainment and released her sixth studio album, The Seventh Sense (2014), incorporated songs of genres such as r&b and pop. Zhang's English song, "Dust My Shoulders Off", was released in 2016. The song became background music of HULU in the US. In 2014, Zhang became one of the juries at the 38th Montreal World Film Festival.In November 2017, she was invited to perform at Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. She was the first Asian singer to perform songs that made her top ten on the iTunes Instant List. In 2018, the World Tour Concert of "Jane's Secret" was held and the show ranked 45th in the United States in single-event mobilization;In November, she traveled with the Ministry of Culture to North Korea to sing songs for the DPRK's head of state on behalf of Chinese artists. In 2019, she released her first full English album Past Progressive at the same time all over the world.
October 11, 1984
Jane Zhang has received many awards, including eight Beijing Pop Music Awards for Best Female Singer, two China Gold Record Awards, and a MTV Europe Music Award, and has been included in the annual Forbes China celebrity lists from 2006–2013. In 2016, Chengdu government documents announced her annual output value of 1.1 billion yuan.
1984–2005: Early years and career beginningsEdit
Zhang was born in Chengdu, Sichuan, China on October 11, 1984. Her father was a driver in a transport company, while her mother was a shop assistant in a department store and is working in a transport company. At the age of 15, her father died and her mother was laid off. She then shouldered the burdens of the family, and went to sing regularly in a local bar Music House. In 2005, she won third place in the Chinese singing contest Super Girl. She then signed a recording deal with Huayi Music.
2006–2009: Huayi MusicEdit
After Zhang signed with Huayi, her first extended plays Jane, Love was released in January 2006. The extended plays has sold more than 500,000 copies in China. In September 2006, she sang the theme song "Only for Love" for the Chinese film The Banquet. The song features Chinese pianist Lang Lang, and was nominated a Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Song. In April 2006, Zhang sang with Bob Hawke at the Boao Forum for Asia. In October 2006, her first studio album The One was released. The album was produced by American record producer Craig Williams and Reid Hyams.
In March 2007, she performed in a concert held in Pasadena, California with Japanese musician Kitarō and American musician Gavin Christopher. In July 2007, Zhang recorded the theme song "Light the Passion, Share the Dream" for the 2008 Summer Olympics touch relay with Wang Leehom, Stefanie Sun, and Wang Feng. In the same month, Zhang held a one-off concert in Beijing to promote her second studio album Update. In August 2007, her second studio album Update was officially released. In December 2007, she released her second extended plays Dear Jane.
In May 2008, Zhang paid a visit to Japan as a Chinese youth representative and sang "impression of the West Lake" for the top leaders of China and Japan at the Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet. In October 2008, Zhang recorded the theme song "Painted Heart" for the Chinese film Painted Skin. The song won a Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Song in the next year. In December 2008, she provided a guest vocals on Taiwanese singer Wang Leehom's "Another Heaven", which appears on Wang's album Heart Beat. In January 2009, Zhang released her third studio album Jane@Music. In May 2009, she made her American television debut on the Oprah Winfrey Show.
2009–2014: Universal Music & Show City TimesEdit
In February 2010, her fourth studio album Believe in Jane was released. In May 2010, she recorded the Chinese version of the theme song "Wavin' Flag" for the 2010 FIFA World Cup with K'naan and Hong Kong singer Jacky Cheung. In August 2010, she embarked on her first concert tour Believe in Jane Tour, reaching Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, and Chengdu. In October 2010, she performed on Asia Song Festival in Seoul, South Korea.
2014–2018: Sony Music & Show City TimesEdit
In January 2015, she took part in the season three of the Chinese television program I Am a Singer. In July 2015, Zhang released song "Fighting Shadows" for Terminator Genisys. The song is Zhang's first English-language single in the US and Big Sean's musical feature-film debut. In July 2016, Zhang sang "808" at the Tomorrowland Music Festival. In October 2016, she released the single "Dust My Shoulders Off".
In November 2018, Zhang visited Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) as a member of the Chinese delegation of literary and art workers. She also participated in cultural performances and cooperated with North Korean artists.
In August 27, 2018, Jane Zhang release announcement of expiration of contract with Show City Times. In November 2018, she continued to be the dream mentor of Zhejiang Satellite TV music program "Voice of Dream (Season 3)". In the same month, she visited DPRK and participated in the performance of friendly exchanges between China and DPRK. Kim Jong-un, the supreme leader of DPRK, came on stage after the performance to shake hands with major actors such as Jane Zhang. On April 27, 2019, Zhang released her seventh studio album Past Progressive (Chinese: 过去进行时), which is also her first full English album. The album has a production cycle of up to five years.
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On July 4, 2015, Zhang announced her boyfriend was Michael Feng Ke, the CEO of her management company Show City Times, in her concert. On October 8, 2016, they announced their marriage and wedding in Italy on November 9.
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Notes|
|2016||Sound Of My Dream||梦想的声音||Judge|
|2017||Sound Of My Dream 2||梦想的声音2||Judge|
|2018||Sound Of My Dream 3||梦想的声音3||Judge|
- Celebrate Tour (2009)
- Believe in Jane Tour (2010)
- Personal Look Tour (2011–2012)
- Bang the World Tour (2015)
- Jane's Secret World Tour (2018)
- Goldkorn, Jeremy (2005-08-24). "The final week of TV sensation Super Voice Girls". Danwei.org. Retrieved 2007-07-29.
- "Super Girl Jane Zhang Goes to America to Record New Album". China.org. 2006-07-19. Retrieved 2007-07-20.
- "揭秘热门奥运歌曲：谭盾的《拥抱爱的梦想》_影音娱乐_新浪网". ent.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- 1477. "张靓颖献出"第一次" 出任蒙特利尔电影节评委--文化--人民网". culture.people.com.cn. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- 张靓颖童年父母离异 15岁到酒吧卖唱挣钱 (in Chinese). QQ.com. Retrieved 2007-11-19.
- 张靓颖童年照曝光 母女俩每月仅靠100元生活 (in Chinese). SZ News. 2007-09-04. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- Marcom, Ben; Goldkorn, Jeremy (2005-08-24). "The final week of TV sensation Super Voice Girls". Danwei.com. Retrieved 2007-07-29.
- "问鼎两大排行榜最佳 张靓颖新专辑交出圆满答卷_音乐红人华语_娱乐_腾讯网". ent.qq.com. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Zhang Liang Ying to release debut album". CRIENGLISH. Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- "Ye yan (awards)". Imbd.com. Retrieved 2007-09-17.
- "张靓颖与霍克同台献技_新闻中心_新浪网". news.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- "Zhang Liangying Releases Debut Album on Her Birthday". China.org.cn. 2006-09-22. Retrieved 2007-09-14.
- "Super Girl Jane Zhang Goes to America". CRIENGLISH.com. 2006-07-19. Archived from the original on August 13, 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Jane Zhang's North American Concert Begins". JaneZhang.com. 2007-03-28. Archived from the original on March 22, 2009. Retrieved 2007-07-20.
- chinanews. "中国青年代表团成员张靓颖今晚献艺日本首相官邸". www.chinanews.com. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "The World's Got Talent". The Oprah Winfrey Show. 2009-05-09. Archived from the original on 2009-05-14. Retrieved 2009-05-12.
- "She's no plain Jane". .chinadaily.com.cn. 2010-08-22. Archived from the original on 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- Jacki, Zhang, Jane Zhang and K’Naan sing world cup coke anthem first ever to celebrate coke birthday
- "40,000 Fans Attend 7th Asia Song Festival in Seoul | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online". Mb.com.ph. 2010-10-25. Archived from the original on November 25, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- "外交部慰问团登舰慰问海军护航官兵". www.gov.cn. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "张靓颖 愿为音乐尝试不擅长的时尚_文体娱新闻_新京报电子报". epaper.bjnews.com.cn. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- Report, Electronic Urban (2015-06-17). "Jane Zhang and Big Sean Record Original Song for 'Terminator Genisys' | EURweb". EURweb. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- "张靓颖登比利时国际电音节 嗨爆新歌《808》_娱乐_腾讯网". ent.qq.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- "Jane Zhang – Dust My Shoulders Off (Official Video)". YouTube. October 28, 2016. Retrieved October 29, 2016.
- Kelli Boyle. "Who Is Jane Zhang? The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Performer Is A Chinese Singer". Elite Daily.
- "Jane Zhang makes history with performance on Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, releases new single, "Work For It"". Vents Magazine. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- "Chinese delegation of literary and art workers to visit DPRK - Xinhua | English.news.cn". www.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "中国文艺工作者代表团抵达朝鲜访问_图片频道_新华网". www.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "张靓颖演唱会告白 被曝曾插足冯轲婚姻". 163.com. 2015-07-05.
- "张靓颖被曝结婚 已有部分亲友收到请帖周笔畅李宇春或重聚". cnr.cn. 2016-10-08.
- "Past Progressive". Spotify.