This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017)
Isetan (伊勢丹, Isetan) (TYO: 8238 unlisted on March 26, 2008, SGX: I15) is a Japanese department store. Based in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Isetan has branches throughout Japan and South East Asia, including in Jinan, Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Shanghai, Singapore and Tianjin, and formerly in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Kaohsiung, London, and Vienna.
|Founded||1886, Hatagomachi, Kanda (Sotokanda, Chūō), Tokyo, Japan as Iseya Tanji Gofukuten|
|Successor||Isetan Mitsukoshi Ltd.|
|Headquarters||14-1 Shinjuku 3-chōme, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan|
|Parent||Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. (100%)|
Branches in JapanEdit
- Shinjuku flagship store
The Isetan flagship store in Shinjuku is considered to be one of the most influential department stores in Japan. The store is often first with showcasing new trends and new products. In particular, the fashion and food floors are thought to be very trendsetting.
Behind the main store, there is a whole building dedicated to Men's Fashion ("Men's Isetan")
- Niigata Isetan (Chūō-ku, Niigata, operated by Niigata Isetan Mitsukoshi, Ltd.)
- Shizuoka Isetan (Aoi-ku, Shizuoka, operated by Shizuoka Isetan, Ltd.)
- West Japan Railway Isetan Ltd.
- Iwataya (Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, operated by Iwataya Mitsukoshi Ltd.)
- HaMaYa Department Store (Nagasaki)
Branches outside JapanEdit
Branches in Southeast AsiaEdit
- Kuala Lumpur - (Suria KLCC, The Gardens at Mid Valley City, Lot 10 (as ISETAN The Japan Store)),
Selangor - (1 Utama Shopping Centre, Mitsui Outlet Park KLIA (as Isetan Outlet Store))
- Singapore (Shaw House and Centre, NEX, Parkway Parade and Tampines Mall)
Isetan previously opened at Orchard's Wisma Atria, a neighboring shopping mall to Isetan Scotts branch, but closed in March 2015, and converted for rental purposes. Currently the space, leased to Isetan, was filled with Mango, iora, Salon Vim, DRx Medical Aesthetic Clinic, YANN VEYRIE SALON, Franck Muller, Gautier Stylish French Living, Longines, World of Watches, UCHINO MYMY, SCANTEAK, and Sony.
On 6 May 2019, via The Straits Times, Isetan announced that the company will close its loss-making location at Westgate. It has had discussions with mall management on the lease renewal, but both parties did not reach an agreement. Therefore, the company has decided not to renew the lease. It was thus closed down on 8 March 2020.
On 29 February 2020, Japan Food Town, the cluster of Japanese restaurants on the fourth floor of what previously known as Isetan Wisma Atria was shuttered. Prior to closure, some tenants were already moved out. Isetan has already received offers from external parties interested to lease its space.
On 14 March 2020, Isetan and Central Pattana announced that its CentralWorld store will be closed per August 31, 2020 due to expiration of contract. The restaurant zone will be kept open despite Isetan's closure and the Kinokuniya Bookstores is still open as usual.
Branches in ChinaEdit
Closed Branches outside JapanEdit
- hermesauto (6 May 2019). "Isetan not renewing lease of 'loss-making' Westgate store". The Straits Times. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Isetan will not renew lease of 'loss-making' Westgate store". CNA. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- hermesauto (2020-03-06). "Japan Food Town shuttered, lease terminated by landlord Isetan". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2020-03-16.
- "Isetan to Withdraw from Bangkok". nippon.com. 2020-03-15. Retrieved 2020-03-16.
- Kinokuniya Thailand Announcement
ISETAN GROUP (in Japanese)