Iran–Iraq football rivalry
|Other names||Iran vs Iraq|
|First meeting||1 June 1962|
(57 years ago)
|Latest meeting||Iran 0–0 Iraq|
2019 AFC Asian Cup
(16 January 2019)
|Most wins||Iran (15)|
|Top scorer||Ali Daei (4)|
|Largest victory||Iran 4–0 Iraq|
1964 Olympic qualification
(2 January 1964)
The most recent matches between the two teams were the quarter-final of the 2015 AFC Asian Cup where Iraq knocked Iran out on penalties (Iran who were hoping for their first title in nearly 40 years were knocked out at the quarter-final stage for the third time in a row, whereas 2007 Asian Cup champions Iraq reached the semi-final for the second time in the past three editions of the tournament), and a friendly match in March 2017 hosted in Iran, where Iraq won the game by one goal to end Iran's two-year unbeaten streak.
The rivalry is not such a football-inspired ill-feeling between the two, but more of geography, religion and history. Iran and Iraq are neighbouring countries, sharing a long history. In contemporary era, especially during the reign of Saddam Hussein, the two countries had bad relations and fought the Iran–Iraq War for 8 years.
In 2001, for the first time in decades, an Iran-Iraq match was not held at a neutral venue.
Major tournament matchesEdit
|Kalani 34', 70', 78'|
|Daei 90' (pen.)||Report||Fawzi 37'
|Emad Mohammed 20'||Report||Karimi 30'
|Mahmoud 13'||Report[permanent dead link]||Rezaei 42'
Ismail 116' (pen.)
|Matches held in Iran||12|
|Matches held in neutral venue||14|
|Matches held in Iraq||2|
- Duerden, John. "Asia awaits neighbourly rivalry". ESPN. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- Montague, James (January 13, 2011). "Pitch Warfare: Iran face Iraq in soccer grudge match". CNN. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- "Iran-Iraq classic rivalry". Iran Daily (4924). November 5, 2014. p. 11.
- Montague, James (January 22, 2015). "Iran vs Iraq: Quarter-final clash reignites decades-old rivalry". The Malay Mail. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Panahi, Majeed (7 August 2014). "Iran – International Matches". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- Courtney, Barrie (21 January 2011). "Iraq – List of International Matches". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved November 21, 2014.