Taremi playing for Iran at 2019 AFC Asian Cup
|Full name||Mehdi Taremi|
|Date of birth||18 July 1992|
|Place of birth||Bushehr, Iran|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Striker, Winger|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13 April 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 20:18, 24 January 2018 (UTC)
Taremi played for Persepolis between 2014 and 2018. He has been the top scorer of the Persian Gulf Pro League on two occasions (2015–16 and 2016–17). Taremi won his first cap for the Iran national team in 2015.
He joined Shahin Bushehr in the summer of 2010. He played 7 games and scored one goal in all competitions. In the winter of 2012, he was released by Shahin Bushehr to spend his conscription period in a military club, but he failed to join a club and was forced to spend his conscription period in a usual garrison.
He joined Iranjavan in the summer of 2013 and signed a two-year contract until the end of the 2014–15 season and was given the number 9. Taremi scored 12 times in 22 matches in 2013–14, and became the league's second top scorer after Mokhtar Jomehzadeh.
He made his debut in 1–1 draw with Naft Tehran, coming as a substitute for Reza Norouzi in 90th minute. He scored his first goal for the club on 15 August 2014 in a 1–0 victory over Zob Ahan. On 8 April 2015 Taremi scored a penalty in Persepolis 1–0 win in the Asian Champions League over Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr. He scored many goals for the club, and provided quality assists to win the Best Striker Award of the 14th Persian Gulf Pro League at the end of the 2014-15 season.
Taremi missed the first week of the new season due to suspension, but in his first game back on 6 August 2015, he scored in a 2–1 loss to Esteghlal Khuzestan. Taremi scored twice in a 2–0 week five win against Foolad. This was Persepolis' first win of the season and lifted them out of the relegation spot. Taremi's good performances in the month of August earned him the Navad player of the month as voted by fans. On 18 December 2015 Taremi scored a brace against Rah Ahan in Persepolis' 2–0 victory. He ended the first half of the league as top scorer with 9 goals in 12 games.
On 4 April 2016 Taremi scored a brace in a 3–2 victory against Siah Jamegan to keep Persepolis in third place. On 12 April 2016 Taremi was in talks to extend his contract to the end of the 2017–18 season. But, eventually he decided not to renew his contract. On 15 April 2016 Taremi scored a brace in Persepolis' historic 4–2 victory over Esteghlal in the Tehran derby. He became the league's top scorer with 16 goals at the end of the season, unless his team lost title at the last week.
Before the start of the new season, Taremi announced that he would not extend his contract, in order to join to a European team. In July 2016, it was reported that Taremi was linked to Süper Lig team Çaykur Rizespor. The move was cancelled after Taremi returned to Iran and signed a two-year contract with Persepolis. He played his first match for Persepolis in 1–0 win over Saipa, replaced Omid Alishah in 77th minute. He also scored his first goal of the season in week 4 against Saba Qom. He scored a brace in 3–1 away win over Sepahan, in a match known as Iran's El Clasico. At the end of the season, the club celebrated its 10th Iran Pro League title, and Taremi became top scorer for a second consecutive season with 18 goals.
On 8 May 2017, Taremi scored a decisive hat trick against Emirati side Al Wahda in a 4–2 win to help his team qualify for the Round of 16 of the 2017 AFC Champions League. After his good performances, Taremi was linked with Dinamo Zagreb.
He playing 7 games, scoring 4 goals, and during the 2017–18 season, Taremi was banned for four months because of a contract dispute with Turkish club Çaykur Rizespor dating back to June 2016, when the player reached an agreement to join the club and later returned to Persepolis. Persepolis were also banned from signing players for two transfer windows. FIFA ruled in favor of the Turkish club and imposed the ban.
On 8 January 2018, Taremi signed an 18-month contract with the Qatari club Al-Gharafa. He scored his first goal in the first match of 2018 AFC Champions League against UAE's Al Jazira. Taremi first scored goal in Qatar League against Al Kharaitiyat SC on 16 Feb And On 19 February, he scored a brace against Iranian side Tractor Sazi on the second match day of the AFC Champions League.
He played for Iran student's national football team in Turkey tournament and scored 9 goals for the team. He was called up by Ali Reza Mansourian to participate in the team's training camp in Kish Island in 2013.
On 3 September 2015, Taremi scored his first senior goals, a brace, in a 6–0 defeat of Guam in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier. On 23 March 2017, Taremi scored the winning and only goal in Iran's victory against Qatar in the final round of World Cup qualifying. He followed this up with another goal on 28 March 2017, in a decisive 1–0 victory against China. On 12 June 2017, Taremi scored the second goal for Iran in a 2-0 win over Uzbekistan to seal the country's first consecutive qualification to two World Cups. In June 2018, he was named in Iran's final 23-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. With the score tied 1-1 in stoppage time in Iran's group stage match with Portugal, Taremi missed a point-blank shot wide left that would have eliminated Portugal and advanced Iran to the round of 16.
- As of 27 December 2018
- Statistics accurate as of match played 24 January 2019.
- As of 24 January 2019. Iran score listed first, score column indicates score after each Taremi goal.
|1.||3 September 2015||Azadi Stadium, Tehran, Iran||3||Guam||2–0||6–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|3.||8 September 2015||Sree Kanteerava Stadium, Bangalore, India||4||India||3–0||3–0|
|4.||17 November 2015||Guam National Football Stadium, Tamuning, Guam||7||Guam||1–0||6–0|
|6.||7 June 2016||Azadi Stadium, Tehran, Iran||11||Kyrgyzstan||2–0||6–0||Friendly|
|7.||10 November 2016||Shah Alam Stadium, Shah Alam, Malaysia||15||Papua New Guinea||2–0||8–1|
|8.||23 March 2017||Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha, Qatar||17||Qatar||1–0||1–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|9.||28 March 2017||Azadi Stadium, Tehran, Iran||18||China PR||1–0||1–0|
|10.||12 June 2017||19||Uzbekistan||2–0||2–0|
|11.||27 March 2018||UCP Arena, Graz, Austria||25||Algeria||2–0||2–1||Friendly|
|12.||24 December 2018||Abdullah bin Khalifa Stadium, Doha, Qatar||34||Palestine||1–0||1–1|
|13.||31 December 2018||Khalifa International Stadium, Doha, Qatar||35||Qatar||1–0||2–1|
|14.||7 January 2019||Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||36||Yemen||1–0||5–0||2019 AFC Asian Cup|
|16.||24 January 2019||40||China PR||1–0||3–0||2019 AFC Asian Cup|
He is the third and the youngest child of his family. His older brother Mohammad is also a football player. Mehdi has good professional and personal relationships with all national football players but is on especially good terms with Sardar Azmoun, Morteza Pouraliganji and Mohsen Mosalman, the latter being his closest friend and roommate in Persepolis.
- Iranian Footballer of the Year: 2016, 2017
- Persian Gulf Pro League Player of the Season: 2015–16, 2016–17
- Persian Gulf Pro League Top Goalscorer: 2015–16, 2016–17
- Persian Gulf Pro League Best Striker of the Season: 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17
- Persian Gulf Pro League Team of the Season : 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17
- Azadegan League Top Goalscorer (Group B): 2013–14
- "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia – List of Players" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "فوتبالیست بوشهری به تیم پرسپولیس تهران پیوست - Tasnim" (in Persian).
- PTFBU.IR – Biography
- "طارمی با پرسپولیس قرارداد داخلی بست :: ورزش سه". www.varzesh3.com.
- "فوتبالیترین | "طارمی" بهترین بازیکن ماه از نگاه نود شد". footballitarin.com.
- "خبر خوب برای هواداران سرخپوش در آستانه دربی وکیل طارمی".
- "مهدی طارمی با پرسپولیس تمدید کرد". Fararu | فرارو (in Persian).
- "دینامو زاگرب کرواسی از برانکو در مورد طارمی اطلاعات گرفت" (in Persian). 15 June 2017.
- "Iran's Mehdi Taremi banned for four months by FIFA". 23 September 2017.
- "Mehdi Taremi joins Al Gharafa of Qatar". Tehran Times. 8 January 2018.
- "دو بازیکن پرسپولیس در تیم ملی زیر 22 سال" (in Persian).
- "WORLD CUP QUALIFYING - AFC". ESPN FC. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "World Cup 2018: Iran join Brazil in qualifying for next year's tournament". BBC Sport. 13 June 2017.
- "Iran World Cup 2018 squad and team guide". The Telegraph. 10 June 2018. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "Taremi - career statistics".
- "Mehdi Taremi". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman.