Saraswatichandra (TV series)
Saraswatichandra is an Indian soap opera and romantic drama produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, written by Ved Raj and Abhijit Sinha, and based on Govardhanram Tripathi's novel of the same name. It aired on Star Plus from 25 February 2013 to 20 September 2014. It is dubbed into Malayalam as Swayamvaram.
|Based on||Saraswatichandra by Govardhanram Tripathi|
|Written by||Ved Raj |
|Directed by||Arvind Babbal|
Arshad Khan /< Rajesh vedant
|Theme music composer||Aadil-Prashant|
|Opening theme||"Kuch Na Kahe" by Shreya Ghoshal and Javed Ali|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of episodes||444|
Comall Sunjoy W.
|Running time||Approx. 22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||SLB productions (2013)|
Sphere Origins (2014)
|Original network||STAR Plus|
|Original release||25 February 2013 –|
20 September 2014
Saraswatichandra narrates the story of a young, cultured aristocrat, Saraswatichandra 'Saras' Vyas, whose mother, Saraswati, committed suicide when he was a child. His father, Laxminandan Vyas, a businessman in Dubai then married Gumaan,an evil and selfish woman who bore him a son, Danny, a kind and selfless boy.
Laxminandan arranges Saras' wedding with Kumud Desai, the well-educated daughter of his best friend, Vidyachatur Desai. However, Saras, introverted since the death of his mother, refuses to marry and writes to Kumud to inform her. Having wholeheartedly accepted the marriage proposal, she challenges Saras to personally tell her father about his rejection. Saras leaves Dubai, the place where he had grown up, and comes to Ratnanagri, Kumud's village in Ahemdabad district who was also Laxminandan's village.However, as time goes on,Saras begins getting along with Kumud's family and adjusts to their ways.He eventually falls in love with Kumud and a short-lived romance follows.
However, on his return to Dubai,Saras finds a letter written by his mother, which a jealous Gumaan had secretly slipped into his things, revealing to Saras that the reason his mother committed suicide was that she found out that Laxminandan and Gumaan were having an affair.This shatters Saras who disowns his father and leaves his house. He then decides not to marry Kumud because he believes that, since he is no longer the son of a rich man, he will be unable to support her.
To save her family's reputation, a heartbroken Kumud agrees to marry Pramadan Dharmadhikari, the son of a political family. However, after the wedding, Kumud finds out that Pramad is an alcoholic who was forced to marry her and he refuses to accept her as his wife. Although Kumud is mistreated by Pramad, she decides to stay with him and change him into a better person.
Kumud is unaware that Saras has realised his mistake and wanted to stop her wedding with Pramad but before he could do so, thugs beat him and leave him for dead. Alak, Pramad's sister finds Saras and brings him to her family mansion. He regains his health and on finding Kumud there and learning about the pain Pramad has been inflicting on her, he promises himself that he will change Pramad's ways and unite him with Kumud.
Buddhidhan Dharmadhikari, who despises the deplorable lifestyle of his son, Pramad, appoints Saras as his secretary. This causes Pramad to be jealous of Saras because he thinks his father loves Saras more than him.
Upon learning why Saras refused to marry her, Kumud forgives him and asks him to leave her house as she cannot see his constant humiliations from Pramad. Saras tells Kumud he won't go out of her life until he unites her with Pramad.
Pramad pretends to be a changed man promising Kumud a new life, but attempts to kill her with help of Kalika, maid of the Dharmadhikari house who loves Pramad. She is rescued by Saras. Kumud then separates from Pramad and returns home.Kumud's younger cousin brother Yash and Kalika are married.Kalika married Yash to take revenge on Kumud. Pramad plans to kidnap Kumud but mistakenly Kumud's sister Kusum gets kidnapped.Goons try to molest Kusum, but Saras saves her from them.Saras and Kumud still love each other but Kusum develops feelings for Saras and wants to marry him.Kusum agrees to marry Mohan to sacrifice her love for Kumud.Danny who is fallen in love with Kusum misunderstood that Kusum also loves him.Danny tells Saras that he loves kusum.Saras and Kumud learn that Kusum loves Saras. Kusum's marriage is called off when Pramad secretly sends mms of Kusum's kidnapping to Mohan's family.A heartbroken Kumud decides to sacrifice her love and convinces her family to agree to Kusum and Saras' wedding.An unwilling Saras agrees but plots to have Danny marry Kusum.Danny comes to know that Kusum loves Saras and becomes angry with Saras and decides to leave Ratnanagri but he is stopped by Kumud.Initially angry,Kusum gradually recognises Danny's love for her and reciprocates his feelings.Pramad is diagnosed with terminal liver cirrhosis and travels abroad for treatment, abandoning Kumud.After her divorce with Pramad,Kumud and Saras are finally married.Kumud invites Laxminadan on her and Saras' marriage. After marriage, while returning to Dubai,Laxminandan meets with an accident and goes into coma.Actually this accident was planned by Kabir.Kabir pretends to be nice to and helps Desai and the Vyas family.Further on, it is revealed that Kabir is Saras's younger brother, who was thought to have died in infancy, is alive and has been working for Gumaan to help her separate Danny and Kusum and Saras and Danny.Actually Gumaan had replaced Kabir with a stillborn baby at the time of his birth to separate Laxminandan and Saraswati. Gumaan had given Kabir to maid to kill him but Gumaan's elder sister Menka saved Kabir and raised him to get Gumaan's property.Laxminandan blamed Saraswati for their child's death.This prompted Saraswati's suicide.Gumaan's elder sister Menka saved Kabir.Kumud goes to chandni bazar where Gumaan used to dance.Kumud gets kidnapped in C handni bazar but is saved by Saras. finds out about Gumaan's this truth.Menka reveals this truth to Saras and Kumud.Menka tells them that Kabir is Saras's younger brother Actually Kabir is pretending to be working for Gumaan because he wanted to take revenge from Gumaan and kill her in London.Gumaan learns of Kabir's true identity. Gumaan kidnaps Kabir in London and Saras and Kumud go to London to save Kabir.Gumaan plans to separate Danny and Kusum by creating misunderstanding between them with help of Kalika. Soon the family learns the truth when Kalika reveals the truth about Gumaan and Danny breaks his ties with Gumaan. Yash divorces Kalika and throws kalika out of the Desai house.Gumaan tries to kill Saras,Kumud, and Kabir.They are saved and return to Ratnanagri. Laxminandan awakens from his coma and breaks his ties with Gumaan after coming to know about her truth when Vidyachatur reveals the truth about Gumaan to him.Gumaan is finally arrested and Kabir happily adjusts to his family and reconciles with his father, as does Saras.He also discovers love with Kusum's bubbly friend from Mumbai,Anushka, and gets engaged to her.Saras and Kumud shift to Mumbai for six months for a business project and rent a house.Their landlord Prashant falls in love with Kumud and to get Kumud in his life kidnaps Saras with the help of his friend Mahesh and tries to kill Saras and he also kidnaps Kumud.It is revealed that he also murdered his ex-girlfriend Pooja who was look alike of Kumud and buried in the same house.Saras Kumud with help of Danny,Kabir, Anushka find Pooja's skeleton and save Saras and Kumud.Prashant and Mahesh are arrested. Saras, Kumud, Danny,Kabir and Anushka return to Ratnanagri.During Kabir and Anushka's wedding rituals a boy named Rohit goes to the Desai house pretending to be Anushka's cousin. But he went there to kill Saras and Kumud.He had kidnapped Anushka's younger brother Avinash and blackmails Anushka to support him. On the day of Kabir and Anushka's marriage Saras meets with an accident while saving Kumud and is admitted to hospital.Anushka helps himbecause of his threat.Actually Rohit had planned this accident to kill Kumud.Anushka tells Kabir of this.Kabir is angry with Anushka and breaks his engagement because Anushka hid this truth.Actually Gumaan had sent Rohit to kill Saras and Kumud Kabir and Danny go to save Avinash and get him back. Kabir forgives Anushka.Gumaan feigns mental illness to get out of jail and is transferred to a mental asylum.Gumaan learns that Saraswati is alive and in the same asylum. Gumaan writes a letter to Kumud to inform about Saraswati.Kumud finds Saras' long-lost mother Saraswati who never died, but lost her memory and was imprisoned in that mental asylum.Gumaan takes advantage of her mental health to take revenge. With the help of Kumud,Saraswati regains her memory and mental health, and reunites with her family.Gumaan is again arrested. The story ends with the birth of Saras and Kumud's first child, a daughter whom they name Sanskriti Saraswatichandra Vyas.
- Jennifer Winget as Kumud Desai– Saras's wife; Vidyachatur and Guniyal's elder daughter, Tash, Kusum, Kumari's elder sister
- Gautam Rode as Saraswatichandra "Saras" Vyas– Kumud's husband; Danny and Kabir's elder brother, Laxminandan and Saraswati's elder son
- Varun Kapoor as Danny Vyas– Saras and Kabir's younger half brother; Laxminandan and Gumaan's son, Kusum's husband (2013-2014)
- Shiny Doshi as Kusum Desai– Kumud and Yash's younger sister; Danny's wife (2013-2014)
- Ashish Kapoor as Kabir Vyas– Saras's younger and Danny's elder half brother, Anushka's husband, Laxminandan and Saraswati's younger son(2014)
- Srishty Rode as Anushka Vyas– Kabir's wife (2014)
- Anshul Trivedi as Pramadan Dharmadhikari, Kumud's ex-husband (2013)
- Chetan Pandit as Laxminandan Vyas– Saras, Kabir and Danny's father, Vidyachatur's best friend, Saraswati and Gumaan's husband(2013–14)
- Monica Bedi as Gumaan Kaur– Saras and Kabir's step-mother,Danny's mother, Laxminandan's second wife(2013–14)
- Yatin Karyekar / Aliraza Namdar as Vidyachatur Desai– Kumud and Kusum's father, Laxminandan's best friend, Guniyal's husband(2013–14)
- Alpana Buch as Guniyal Devi Desai– Kumud and Kusum's mother, Vidyachatur's wife (2013–14)
- Ragini Shah as Dugba– Vidyachtur's younger sister, Kumari's mother,Sahastrar's wife,Saraswati's best friend (2013–14)
- Vinita Mahesh as Kumari– Dugba and Sahastrar's daughter
- Mehul Kajaria as Gyanchatur Desai– Vidyachatur's younger brother (2013–14)
- Mansi Jain as Chandrika Kaur Desai– Gyanchatur's wife (2013–14)
- Surya Kanth / Winy Tripathi as Yash Desai– Vidyachatur Gyanchatur's elder brother's son,Vidyachatur and Gyanchatur's nephew,Kalika's ex-husband (2013–14)
- Soni Singh as Kalika Desai– Yash's ex-wife (2013–14)
- Sonia Shah as Menaka– Gumaan's elder sister
- Sai Ballal as Buddhi Dhan Dharmadhikari– Pramad and Alak's father,Saubhagyawati Devi's husband (2013)
- Pratichi Mishra as Saubhagyavati Devi Dharmadhikari– Pramad and Alak's mother,Buddhidhan's wife (2013)
- Vahbbiz Dorabjee as Alak Kishori Dharmadhikari– Pramad's sister,Indresh's wife(2013)
- Vijay Badlani as Indresh– Alak's husband
- Shahrukh Sadri as Murakh Das– Kalika's father, Dharmadhikari house's servant
- Maleeka R Ghai as Saraswati Vyas– Saras and Kabir's mother,Danny's stepmother, Laxminandan's first wife (2014)
- Rahul Ram as Prashant, Saras and Kumud's landlord in Mumbai
- Mithil Jain as Sub-Inspector Umesh Solanki– Kumari's ex-lover
- as Sahastrar, Dugba's husband– Kumari's father
- Smita Shetty as Sunder Baa– vidyachatur and Gyanchatur's elder brother wife,Yash's mother
- Varun Sharma as Mohan– Kusum's ex-fiancé
- Shivani Gosain as Sunanda– Ghuman's friend turned rival
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2013||Gold Awards||Best Actor||Gautam Rode||Nominated|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actress Drama||Jennifer Winget||Won|||
|Best Actress - Popular||Jennifer Winget||Nominated|
|Best Actor - Popular||Gautam Rode||Nominated|
|2014||Gold Awards||Best Actor||Gautam Rode||Won|||
|Indian Telly Awards||Best Actor in a Lead Role||Gautam Rode||Won|||
|Best Actress (Jury)||Jennifer Winget||Won|
- Albania: TV Klan (17.04.2016-03.04.2017) as Saravatiçandra.
- Argentina: El Trece (2016).
- Bulgaria: bTV, bTV Lady (2015).
- Chile: TVN (2017).
- Costa Rica: Teletica (2017).
- Ethiopia: Kana TV (2016).
- Ghana: Adom TV (2019).
- Indonesia: Trans 7 & ANTV (2015).
- Japan: LaLa TV & BS Niteele (upcoming).
- Mexico: Imagen Televisión (2018).
- Panama: TVN (Panama) (2016).
- Peru: Panamericana (2017).
- MENA: MBC Bollywood (2015)
- Slovakia: TV Doma (2016).
- Somalia: MCTV (2018) as Dareen Iyo Dulqaad.
- South Korea: DRAMACube & AsiaN (upcoming).
- Sri Lanka: TV One (2016), Sirasa TV (2017)
- Turkey: Kanal 7 (9 February 2017) as İki Yabancı.
- Vietnam: TodayTV (2016).
- United States:PasionesTV(2018)
- "Saraswatichandra to go off air, Gautam Rode tweets last day pics with Jennifer Winget and crew". daily.bhaskar.com. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "Varun Kapoor to enter Saraswatichandra". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "I have never worked so hard in my life: Shiny Doshi". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Ashish Kapoor to play Gautam Rode's brother in Saraswatichandra". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Saras to die in Star Plus' Saraswatichandra!". Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Vijay Badlani back; Shahrukh Sadri in Saraswatichandra". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Never felt sidelined by Jennifer Winget in 'Saraswatichandra': Monica Bedi". The Indian Express. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Bhansali turns to TV, with Saraswatichandra". Rediff. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Mehul Kajaria in Bhansali's Saraswati Chandra". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Vahbbiz Dorabjee in 'Saraswatichandra'". dna. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Indian Television Academy Awards". awardsbyindianshows.weebly.com. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Narayan, Girija (20 May 2014). "Zee Gold Awards 2014 Complete List Of Winners". filmibeat. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "Gautam Rode claims Indian Telly Award - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "Сияйна луна в България".
- "Saras & Kumud - Imagen Televisión" (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Telenovela Indická nevesta prichádza na DOMA" (in Slovak). Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Saraswatichandra / İki Yabancı".