StarPlus is an Indian pay television channel owned by Star India. The network's programming consists of family dramas, comedies, youth-oriented reality shows, shows on crime and television films. It is also distributed internationally by The Walt Disney Company India, subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.
When it was first launched on 21 February 1992, StarPlus was an English-language television channel showing international TV shows from the U.S., the UK and Australia, with Zee TV being the Hindi-language counterpart. However, after Star ended its relationship with Zee TV, Star Plus was transformed into a Hindi-language channel, with Star World becoming the network's English-language counterpart channel.
In 2000, the company's CEO Sameer Nair and programming chief Tarun Katial introduced a number of new shows, which helped to solidify the channel's position as the leader in the Hindi-language television broadcasting area.
It launched in the United States in November 2004.
The channel's high-definition feed was launched on 15 April 2011. It carries the same schedule as the SD feed, but with different commercials. Star Plus HD was set to launch in both the United Kingdom and Ireland by the end of 2011, but it was delayed until 5 July 2012.
On October 6, 2017, ATN Star Plus lost the rights to programming from Star Plus which resulted in it being no longer available in Canada and Exclusive App in Hotstar.
In January 2019, Star Television Network shut down its television operations in the U.S,including Star Plus, due to its promotion of digital counterpart, Hotstar.
- Flegg, Michael (10 September 2001). "India's Star TV Leaps to Top Spot Due to Game Shows, Soap Operas". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 19 September 2001.
- "History Star Plus Global". Star Plus Global. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Star Plus UK to launch HD Channel – http://media247.co.uk/bizasia/newsarchive/2011/02/exclusive_star_5.php
- Star Plus HD UK date confirmed – http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/star-plus-hd-to-launch-in-july-in-uk
- Star TV to shutdown television operations in USA – https://www.bizasialive.com/star-tv-ceases-television-operations-in-usa/