iSmart Shankar is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language science fiction action film written and directed by Puri Jagannadh, who co-produced the film with Charmme Kaur. It stars Ram Pothineni in the titular role along with Satyadev Kancharana, Nabha Natesh, and Nidhhi Agerwal. The film follows a contract killer who helps the police when a slain police officer's memories are transferred to his brain. The film is loosely based on the plot of the 2016 American film Criminal and 2017 British film iBoy. It features music composed by Mani Sharma.
|Directed by||Puri Jagannadh|
|Produced by||Puri Jagannadh|
|Written by||Puri Jagannadh|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Edited by||Junaid Siddiqui|
Puri Jagannadh Touring Talkies
Shankar is a street-wise Hyderabadi contract killer who works under Kaka. Under Mama's orders, he murders a high-profile politician named Kasi Viswanath. Vishwanath's son Devendra and his brother in law Ramamoorthy swear revenge on Shankar. The film opens with Shankar escaping from jail while being chased by the police. He beats up the police and escapes in a truck where he recollects the past.
While extorting money from an apartment builder, he encounters Chandni, a girl just as rough as him who even goes to the extent of slapping Shankar. Impressed, he falls for her, and after a few altercations, she reciprocates. Once Shankar murders Kasi Vishwanath on Kaka's orders, he escapes to Goa with Chandni. However, the police find out his location and track him down. While escaping, Chandni is shot and killed. Shankar is beside himself with grief and swears to kill the person who killed her.
In a parallel storyline, Sara is a neuroscientist who is working on memory transfer and has achieved successful results with rats. Her boyfriend, Arun, is a CBI officer who is trying to crack the case of the murder of Kasi Vishwanath. He believes there is a higher force that planned and killed him.
Shankar finds out that Kaka was ordered to kill him as well and murders Kaka when he plans to escape in Sarah's car. He flees while Sarah calls Arun. Arun catches a guy running, but the guy is killed when a car hits him. Arun's higher-ups are after him to find the killer, and while Arun is about to crack the case, he is shot and killed by goons. The CBI is desperate to know who the murderer is, so with Sarah's help, they transfer Arun's memory to Shankar, knowing full well doing so will remove his past.
Shankar wakes up and experiences shocks and memories that aren't his own. He gets enraged when Sarah reveals the truth to him and realizes that he will forget Chandni in a few days. He experiences brief flashes where he becomes Arun but reverts to being Shankar.
He finds Arun's house and discovers a bag that has all the proof of who the murderer is, then he calls the Commissioner to meet him in the Goa where he tells that the murderer's are Devendra and Ramamurthy after few minutes, Shankar reverts, beating all the cops taking Sara at knife point he escapes and after a few events Arun reverts with the help of Commissioner. he makes a plan to arrest Devendra and Ramamurthy with all the proof in Banras, but as they expose Devendra try to run. Arun follows him, but as Devendra and his men continuously beat Arun in his head, Shankar reverts, and Sara tell him that Devendra is the only person responsible for his Chandni's murder. After a tragic and dramatic fight between Shankar and Devendra, Shankar killed Devendra and completed his vow. Sara and Arun then go to Hong Kong on vacation, where Arun proposes to Sara as he promised her to marry him on 14 February.
In post credit scene, we See while kissing, Sara Arun get shocked in his mind.
- Ram Pothineni as Shankar
- Satyadev Kancharana as Arun
- Nabha Natesh as Chandni
- Nidhhi Agerwal as Dr. Sarah
- Puneet Issar as Chief Minister Kashi Viswanath
- Ashish Vidyarthi as Ramamoorthy, Central Minister
- Sayaji Shinde as Chandrakanth, CBI Officer
- Madhusudhan Rao as Kaaka
- Raj Deepak Shetty as Devendra Viswanath
- Getup Srinu as Shankar's friend
- Gangavva in cameo appearance
- Aziz Naser
- Lekha Prajapati as a festival song in "Bonalu" Song
- Puri Jagannadh as himself in the song "iSmart Theme"
The Hyderabad portion of scheduled filming finished in February. Filming in Goa completed in March. The action scenes of the film were shot in Varanasi during April. Filming completed in mid May.
It is a commercial success. A sequel titled Double iSmart has been announced.
The film was released theatrically on 18 July 2019. The film was also dubbed and released in Hindi on YouTube on 16 February 2020 by Aditya Movies. The Hindi dubbed version crossed more than 200 million views.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||4 July 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music South|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
|1.||"Dimaak Kharaab"||Kasarla Shyam||Keerthana Sharma, Saketh Komanduri||4:40|
|2.||"Zindabad Zindabad"||Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Sarath Santhosh and Ramya Behara||4:40|
|3.||"iSmart Theme"||Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Anurag Kulkarni||4:12|
|4.||"Undipo"||Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Anurag Kulkarni,Ramya Behara||5:09|
|5.||"Bonalu"||Kasarla Shyam||Rahul Sipligunj, Mohana Bhogaraju||5:51|
Firstpost gave 3 out of 5 stars stating, "iSmart Shankar is proof enough that Puri Jagannadh is back with a bang. It might not be his best film, but it’s certainly his most watchable film in years. And Ram is a ball of energy. iSmart Shankar might have its roots in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but Puri Jagannadh gives it his own spin and reimagines it as a quintessential Telugu mass film.".
The Times of India gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating, "In this make-believe world, when rules change by-the-minute, it’s hard to give a damn". Sify gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "iSmart Shankar is aimed at frontbenchers. Despite the idea of transplantation of memories being new, the rest of the story and its treatment are over-the-top and too clichéd. This is a loud mass action-thriller".
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Date of ceremony||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|11 January 2020||Zee Cine Awards Telugu||Best Director||Puri Jagannadh||Won|||
|Best Producer||Charmy Kaur||Won|
|Best Music Director||Mani Sharma||Won|
|Sensational Star of the Year||Ram Pothineni||Won|
|Best Actor (Male)||Ram Pothineni||Nominated|
- Deccan Chronicle estimates the film's budget to be ₹150 million. The Hans India estimates the film's budget to be ₹200 million.
- The Times of India estimates the film worldwide gross to be over ₹750 million. Sakshi Telugu estimates the film worldwide gross to be ₹780 million. Sakshi Post estimates the film worldwide gross to be ₹850 million.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (18 July 2019). "iSmart Shankar movie review and rating by audience: Live updates". www.ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 14 February 2021.
- "Tollywood 2019". Deccan Chronicle. 30 December 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "Ismart Shankar pre-release business report". The Hans India. 16 July 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "iSmart Shankar completes 100 days; Ram, Puri and Charmme reminisce the success - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 June 2020.
- "2019లో భారీ వసూళ్లు రాబట్టిన సినిమాలివే." [Highest grossing films of 2019]. Sakshi (in Telugu). 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "iSmart Shankar Closing Collections: Ram Pothineni Ustad Of Tollywood Box Office". Sakshi. 19 August 2019. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- ""Only inspiration, no copy": Puri Jagannadh clarifies about 'iSmart Shankar' similarities with 'iBoy'". The Times of India. 17 July 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "iSmart Shankar review: A loud, over-the-top mass action-thriller". Sify. 18 July 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "Puri Jagannadh confirms the sequel to 'iSmart Shankar'; Title registered as 'Double iSmart'". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- "ISMART SHANKAR' DONE WITH HYD SCHEDULE, TO GO TO GOA". India Glitz. 28 February 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Neeshita Nyayapati (23 March 2019). "Puri Jagannadh and Ram Pothineni's 'iSmart Shankar' wraps up Goa schedule". Times of India. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "'iSmart Shankar' moves to Varanasi". Telugu Cinema. 30 April 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "'ISMART SHANKAR' WRAPS UP TALKIE PART, LOCKS TEASER DATE". India Glitz. 12 May 2019. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "iSmart Shankar full movie (2020) - Hindi Dubbed Movie - Ram Pothineni, Nidhi Agerwal, Nabha Natesh". YouTube. 16 February 2020. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "iSmart Shankar movie review: Ram's pulsating energy meets its match in Puri Jagannadh's irreverence". Firstpost. 18 July 2019.
- "ISMART SHANKAR MOVIE REVIEW". TimesofIndia.
- "iSmart Shankar review: A loud, over-the-top mass action-thriller". sify.
- "Zee Cine awards Telugu 2020: Samantha Akkineni, Chiranjeevi and Nani win top laurels". Hindustan Times. 12 January 2020. Retrieved 12 January 2020.