The iPhone 11 is a smartphone designed, developed and marketed by Apple Inc. It is the thirteenth generation lower-priced iPhone, succeeding the iPhone XR. It was unveiled on September 10, 2019, alongside the higher-end iPhone 11 Pro flagship at the Steve Jobs Theater in the Apple Park, Cupertino by Apple CEO Tim Cook. Pre-orders began on September 13, 2019, and the official release on September 20, 2019, one day after the official public release of iOS 13.
A White iPhone 11
|Slogan||Just the right amount of everything.|
|First released||September 20, 2019|
|Availability by region|
|Related||iPhone 11 Pro|
|Dimensions||H: 150.9 mm (5.94 in)|
W: 75.7 mm (2.98 in)
D: 8.3 mm (0.33 in)
|Mass||194 g (6.8 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: iOS 13|
Current: iOS 13.1.3, released October 15, 2019 Current Beta: 13.2
|System on chip||A13 Bionic|
|Modem||Dual SIM with eSIM|
Intel Gigabit-Class LTE, up to 30 LTE bands
|Memory||4 GB LPDDR4X RAM (this information is not confermed by Apple Inc., independent research only)|
|Storage||64, 128 or 256 GB|
|Battery||3.83 V 11.91 Wh (3110 mAh) Li-ion, Fast‑Charge capable with an 18W charger (sold separately)|
|Display||6.06 in (154 mm) Liquid Retina: LED-backlit IPS LCD, 1792×828 px (326 ppi)|
625 cd/m² max. brightness (typical), with dual-ion exchange-strengthened glass and Haptic Touch.
|Rear camera||12 MP (1.4 μm) (1/2.55") Sony Exmor IMX333-Inspired, quad-LED flash, ƒ/1.8 aperture, Optical image stabilization (Wide-angle only) quad-LED flash, autofocus, IR filter, Burst mode, 6-element lens, 4K video recording at 24, 30 or 60 FPS or 1080p at 30 or 60 FPS, Slow-motion video (1080p at 120 FPS or 240 FPS), Time-lapse with stabilization, Panorama (up to 63 megapixels), Portrait Mode, Portrait Lighting, Facial recognition, Digital image stabilization, Optical image stabilization, Stereo audio recording, Night Mode|
|Front camera||12 MP, f/2.2 aperture, burst mode, exposure control, face detection, auto-HDR, auto image stabilization, Retina flash, 4K video recording at 24, 30 or 60 FPS or 1080p HD at 30 or 60 FPS, Slow-motion video (1080p at 120 FPS) Portrait Mode, Portrait Lighting and Animoji|
|Sound||Spatial Audio, Dolby Atmos|
|Connectivity||Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax)|
|Other||FaceTime audio- or video-calling, IP68 IEC standard 60529 (splash, water, and dust resistant), Qi wireless charging, USB-C to Lightning (connector) fast charging|
The prominent changes compared with the iPhone XR are the Apple A13 Bionic chip, and an ultra wide dual camera system. While the iPhone 11 Pro comes with an 18W Lightning to USB-C fast charger, the iPhone 11 comes with the same 5W charger found on previous iPhones, even though both models can utilize this faster charger.
Details regarding the phone were leaked widely before the official release, with complete specifications and renderings of the phone being publicized, many of which turned out to be correct, such as advancements in the camera and the keeping of the 'notch' design from the frontal camera featured since the iPhone X. Official release event invites sent out to press featured layered colored glass elements organized to form the Apple logo, which some reviewers drew similarities to Apple's original logo, suggesting new colors for the phone, and to a patent Apple filed for a new camera design earlier.
The iPhone 11 is available in six colors: purple, yellow, green, black, white, and red. There is a notch at the front for the TrueDepth camera system and speaker, similar to its predecessor, the iPhone XR. There is a bump in the back for the cameras and the flash that is the same size as the iPhone 11 Pro, although the iPhone 11 only has two cameras compared to the Pro's three. Also, the iPhone 11 has a matte rear camera housing and smooth back, while the iPhone 11 Pro has a smooth rear camera housing and matte back. The Apple logo is now centered on the back of the device with no text.
The iPhone 11, along with the iPhone 11 Pro, has Apple's A13 Bionic processor with a third-generation neural engine. It has three internal storage options: 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256GB. It also has 4 GB of RAM. The iPhone 11 has an IP68 water and dust-resistant rating along with dirt and grime, and is waterproof in two meters up to 30 minutes. However, the manufacturer warranty does not cover liquid damage to the phone. Also, like previous iPhones, both phones do not have a headphone jack, and come with wired EarPods with a Lightning connector. iPhone 11 is the first smartphone with built-in ultra-wideband hardware, via its Apple U1 chip.
The resolution of 1792x828 pixels (326 ppi) with a maximum brightness of 625 nits and a 1400:1 contrast ratio. It supports Dolby Vision, HDR10, True-Tone, and wide color gamut. As with the iPhone 11 Pro, XR, XS, and X, the display has a notch at the top for the TrueDepth camera system and the speaker. The display has an oleophobic coating that is fingerprint-resistant. Apple announced in September 2019 that both the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro would show a warning notification if a display was replaced with an unauthorized part. Apple stated that problems with the phone could arise if the wrong parts or procedures were used during the repair process.
The iPhone 11 includes a dual-lens 12MP rear camera array. There is one f/2.4 ultra wide angle lens with a 120 degree field of view and 2x optical zoom out and one f/1.8 wide angle lens. The iPhone 11 supports 4K video at up to 60 fps and 1080p slow motion at up to 240 fps. The phone also features an audio zoom feature which focuses audio on the area that is being zoomed in on, similar to the Pro model. Both of the cameras support video although only the wide angle lenses come with Optical Image Stabilization. It supports a Portrait Mode supporting depth control and an advanced Bokeh effect. The phone also has an automatic Night Mode allowing the camera to take brighter pictures with reduced noise in low light environments. There is also a redesigned camera app that adds new features such as a scroll wheel for choosing between the different lenses and long-pressing the shutter button to take a video. Apple has also announced a new Deep Fusion feature which will take advantage of AI and machine learning for image processing.
|region||iPhone 11 (64 GB)||iPhone 11 (128 GB)||iPhone 11 (256 GB)|
Timeline of iPhone modelsEdit
- Sascha Segan (September 17, 2019). "Confirmed: iPhone 11 Series Phones Have Intel Modems". PCMag.
- "iPhone 11 Pro Models Have Up to 25% Larger Batteries and 4GB of RAM Per Reliable TENAA Filings". Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- Humphries, Matthew (September 18, 2019). "iPhone 11 Battery Sizes Confirmed". PC Magazine. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- "iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max unveiled at Apple event". Apple Inc. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Murphy, Samantha. "iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max unveiled at Apple event". CNN Business. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Apple finally includes a fast charger with the iPhone 11 Pro". Engadget. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "iPhone 11 - Technical Specifications". Apple Inc. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- phones, Gareth Beavis 2019-08-15T21:18:23Z Mobile. "New iPhone 11 release date, price, news and leaks". TechRadar. Retrieved August 17, 2019.
- Griffin, Andrew (August 22, 2019). "Apple is about to launch a huge range of new products – here's what they are". The Independent. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- "iPhone 11: release date, price and leaks for the new iPhone". WhatHiFi. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- Curtis, Sophie (September 2, 2019). "iPhone 11 launch date confirmed as Apple sends out invitation to 'special event'". mirror. Retrieved October 16, 2019.
- Brown, Mike. "iPhone 11: Apple Event Invite May Hint at the Future of Smartphone Cameras". Inverse. Retrieved October 16, 2019.
- "Apple iPhone 11 - Full phone specifications". www.gsmarena.com. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Snell, Jason (September 13, 2019). "The U1 chip in the iPhone 11 is the beginning of an Ultra Wideband revolution". sixcolors.
- "How Apple's U1 Chip Adds Amazing New Capabilites to the iPhone". pocketlint.
- Barrett, Brian (September 12, 2019). "The Biggest iPhone News Is a Tiny New Chip Inside It". Wired.
- Welch, Chris. "Apple's iPhone 11 and 11 Pro will show a warning on your lock screen if they can't verify a replaced screen". The Verge. Retrieved September 26, 2019.
- Evans, Jonny (September 12, 2019). "iPhone 11: What is Deep Fusion and how does it work?". Computerworld. Retrieved September 13, 2019.
- "Apple iPhone 11 - Operation System". 24h. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Compare cheapest country to buy iPhone 11 256GB (USD)". themacindex.com. Retrieved September 24, 2019.
- Apple Inc. (2007-2018). iPhone News - Newsroom Archive. Retrieved September 28, 2018.