|• Total||140.63 km2 (54.30 sq mi)|
|• Land||131.01 km2 (50.58 sq mi)|
|• Water||9.62 km2 (3.71 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2018)
|• Density||790/km2 (2,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
The municipality is, with its approximately 110,000 inhabitants, the second most populated in Stockholm County.
- Björksättra Peninsula Nature Reserve
- Drevviken Nature Reserve
- Flemingsbergsskogen Nature Reserve
- Gladö Kvarnsjön Nature Reserve
- Gladöskogen Nature Reserve
- Gömmaren Nature Reserve, including the Fullersta kvarn Natura 2000 area.
- Gömsta Äng Nature Reserve
- Korpberget Nature Reserve
- Lissmadalen Nature Reserve
- Lännaskogen Nature Reserve, including Lissma-Kvarnsjö and Lännaskogen Natura 2000 areas.
- Orlången Nature Reserve
- Paradiset Nature Reserve, including Granby and Hanveden Natura 2000 areas.
- Trångsundsskogen Nature Reserve
Huddinge has a total population of roughly 110,000, or 4.5% of the population of Stockholm County. The average age is 36.7 years, but one-third of the population is under 25 years of age. This means that Huddinge has a slightly younger population than both Stockholm County (38.9 years) and the whole country (40.6 years). The population density of the municipality is increasing significantly. Since the 1960s, the population has doubled in size and is currently among the 14 largest municipalities in Sweden. The population of Huddinge passed the one of Gävle in 2008, and the ones of Eskilstuna and Sundsvall as well in 2009.
Source: SCB - Folkmängd efter region och år.
Residents with a foreign backgroundEdit
On the 31st of December 2017 the number of people with a foreign background (persons born outside of Sweden or with two parents born outside of Sweden) was 43 699, or 39.73% of the population (110 003 on the 31st of December 2017). On the 31st of December 2002 the number of residents with a foreign background was (per the same definition) 24 319, or 28.13% of the population (86 457 on the 31st of December 2002). On 31 December 2017 there were 110 003 residents in Huddinge, of which 32 190 people (29.26%) were born in a country other than Sweden. Divided by country in the table below - the Nordic countries as well as the 12 most common countries of birth outside of Sweden for Swedish residents have been included, with other countries of birth bundled together by continent by Statistics Sweden.
|Country of birth|
|2||Asia: Other countries||4,810|
|3||EU: Other countries||3,797|
|5||Africa: Other countries||2,812|
|10||Europe outside of the EU: other countries||1,657|
|13|| Yugoslavia/ Yugoslavia
SFR Yugoslavia/ Serbia and Montenegro
|18||Bosnia and Herzegovina||457|
|26||Unknown country of birth||24|
It is believed that the history of Huddinge goes back at least 1,000 years, to before the Viking Age. When hostile ships approached the community, the inhabitants of Huddinge would climb to high locations and light beacons. Beacons were located around the entirety of Lake Mälaren. Huddinge's coat of arms has its origins in this tradition. The name Huddinge is believed to come from the Uddung's - the first inhabitants in this area, which during the Iron Age lived on the shores of Lake Mälaren nearby Vårby.
Huddinge is served by the Stockholm public transport system. There are two stations on the Stockholm Metro and five on the Stockholm commuter rail system as well as large bus network. Some main line trains call at Flemingsberg.
Huddinge municipality is sub-divided into six districts:
- Flemingsberg (pop. 14,924)
- Segeltorp (pop. 11,870)
- Sjödalen-Fullersta (pop. 22,304)
- Skogås (pop. 13,783)
- Stuvsta-Snättringe (pop. 15,847)
- Trångsund (pop. 9,912)
- Vårby (pop. 10,115), including Masmo
Election to Swedish municipals are held every 4th year on the 3rd Sunday in September. Election 2014 to the 61 seat council resulted in that the centre-right Alliance of 4 parties (m, fp, kd and c) plus two local parties (Huddingepartiet - hp and Drevikenpartiet - dp) stayed in power without own majority. The Red-Green 3 parties (s, mp, v) are in opposition and the far right Sweden Democrats (sd) holds the balance of power but normally wots with the Alliance.
|Polling period||Polling agency||Alliance Parties||Red-Green Parties||Other||Alliance & Local
(m, fp, c, kd, hd, dp)
(s, mp, v)
Kungens Kurva is one of Sweden's largest shopping areas. It hosts, among other things, the largest IKEA store in the world, the largest cinema in the country, and a large shopping centre. In total, it generates a turnover of 6 billion Swedish kronor and has 15 million visitors per year.
The most known sports club in Huddinge is the ice hockey club Huddinge IK, which has fostered a long line of well-known Swedish ice hockey players, such as Michael Nylander, Mattias Norström and Kent Johansson, and used to be a regular runner up in the Swedish second division and the qualifications for the Elitserien. Peter Forsberg also happened to make his debut as a senior player with his original club Modo Hockey, facing Huddinge away.
Split into two municipalitiesEdit
After years of debate a vote is planned was 2008 regarding a split of Huddinge into two different municipalities named in published documents as Huddinge and Huddinge östra ("Huddinge East"). The intention with a split is to make the eastern part of Huddinge its own municipality after years of protests from inhabitants. Due to large protests it was decided in 2007 to hold a vote regarding the split. However it was proposed that only the inhabitants of eastern Huddinge would be allowed to vote. This has caused a major political split of opinions as the political opposition wants to see a vote. At least 60% of the inhabitants of eastern Huddinge must vote yes for the split to be performed.
The referendum ended with a clear no to the split, ending the discussion.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2018" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Korta fakta om Huddinge" (in Swedish). Huddinge Municipality. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
År 2017 hade Huddinge kommun 110 003 invånare ... [In 2017, Huddinge Municipality had 110,003 inhabitants ...]
- "Naturreservat" (in Swedish). Huddinge Municipality. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Huddinge Municipality, Sjöar och vattendrag
- Antal personer efter region, utländsk/svensk bakgrund och år (Read 4 januari 2019)
- Statistiska centralbyrån: Utrikes födda efter län, kommun och födelseland 31 december 2017 (XLS-fil) Läst 4 januari 2019
- IKEA Group Stores - Sweden Archived 2009-04-23 at the Wayback Machine
- Nya kommunerna efter delning - Huddinge kommun Archived 2008-03-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Huddinges invånare kan få folkomrösta om delning Archived 2007-06-26 at the Wayback Machine