Gabriel Iván Mercado (Spanish pronunciation: [ɡaˈβɾjel meɾˈkaðo]; born 18 March 1987) is an Argentine professional footballer who plays for Spanish club Sevilla FC. Mainly a right back, he could also play as a central defender.
|Full name||Gabriel Iván Mercado|
|Date of birth||18 March 1987|
|Place of birth||Puerto Madryn, Argentina|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11:10, 15 March 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 20 November 2018
He began his career with Racing Club and Estudiantes before joining River Plate in 2012, going on to win six domestic and international tournaments including the 2015 Copa Libertadores. In 2016, he joined Sevilla for €2.5 million.
Born in Puerto Madryn, Chubut, Mercado made his professional debut for Racing Club on 21 February 2007 in a 0–1 home defeat to San Lorenzo. He went to establish himself as a regular member of the Racing first team.
In July 2012, he signed for River Plate.
On 4 August 2016, La Liga side Sevilla FC signed Mercado from River Plate on a three-year deal for a reported fee of €2.5 million, with River retaining 20% of a subsequent transfer fee. He was signed by compatriot manager Jorge Sampaoli to replace former captain Coke.
In May 2018, Mercado was named in Argentina's preliminary 35-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia; later that month, he was included in Jorge Sampaoli's final 23-man squad for the tournament. In the round of 16 match against France on 30 June, Mercado scored in a 4–3 defeat, which saw Argentina eliminated from the competition.
- Statistics accurate as of match played 20 November 2018.
Scores and results list Argentina's goal tally first
|24 March 2016||Estadio Nacional Julio Martínez Prádanos, Santiago, Chile||Chile||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|29 March 2016||Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes, Córdoba, Argentina||Bolivia|
|9 June 2017||Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Australia||Brazil||2017 Superclásico de las Américas|
|30 June 2018||Kazan Arena, Kazan, Russia||France||2018 FIFA World Cup|
- Argentine Primera División: Torneo Final 2014
- Copa Campeonato: 2013–14
- Copa Sudamericana: 2014
- Recopa Sudamericana: 2015
- Copa Libertadores: 2015
- Copa Suruga Bank: 2015
- Copa Argentina: 2016
- "2018 FIFA World Cup Russia: List of players: Argentina" (PDF). FIFA. 10 June 2018. p. 1. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- GABRIEL IVÁN MERCADO
- "Mercado, nuevo jugador de Estudiantes". ESPN Deportes (in Spanish). 6 July 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- "Sevilla sign Argentina right-back Gabriel Mercado to help replace Coke". ESPN FC. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Gabriel Mercado leads Sevilla past Betis; Málaga beat Eibar for first win". ESPN FC. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Revealed: Every World Cup 2018 squad - 23-man & preliminary lists & when will they be announced?". Goal.com. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "Argentina World Cup squad: Paulo Dybala included but Mauro Icardi misses out on 23-man group for Russia". The Independent. 21 May 2018. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- Emlyn Begley (30 June 2018). "France 4-3 Argentina". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- "Gabriel Mercado". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 26 June 2018.