2007 South American U-20 Championship
The 2007 South American Youth Championship (Sudamericana sub-20) is a football competition contested by all ten U-20 national football teams of CONMEBOL. The tournament was held in Paraguay between 7 January and 28 January 2007. It was the 23rd time the competition has been held and the fourth to take place in Paraguay. Brazil finished undefeated, winning their ninth trophy.
|2007 Sudamericano Sub-20|
|Dates||January 7 to 28|
|Teams||10 (from 1 confederation)|
|Venue(s)||4 (in 4 host cities)|
|Champions||Brazil (9th title)|
|Goals scored||101 (2.89 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)||Edinson Cavani (7 goals)|
The teams are separated in two groups of five, and each team plays four matches in a pure round-robin stage. The three top competitors advance to a single final group of six, wherein each team plays five matches. The top four teams in the final group qualify to the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, while the top two also qualify for the 2008 Olympic tournament (U-23).
For a list of all the squads in the final tournament, see 2007 South American Youth Championship squads.
The following teams entered the tournament:
First group stageEdit
|Lima 46', 65'
Pato 71', 76'
|Ísmodes 33'||Report||Lucas 9', 90'|
|Report||Larrondo 15', 32'
Vidangossy 40', 66'
|Report||Huerta 37' (o.g.)|
|Medina 9', 70' (pen.)
Vidal 64', 79'
Larrondo 86' (o.g.)
|Luiz Adriano 34'
Campos 75' (pen.), 76' (pen.)
|Benítez 64'||Report||Tchô 87'|
|Abán 56'||Rodríguez 73'|
|Fazio 10'||Mosquera 71'
|Antón 85'||Moreira 55'
Arroyo 73' (pen.)
|Mouche 11', 27', 62'
Di Santo 90'
|Bogado 64' (pen.)||Kagelmacher 3'
Vonder Putten 14'
Medina 53', 60'
|Luiz Adriano 28'
|Vidal 84', 90+4'|
|Acuña 27', 73'
|David Braz 15'
|Medina 15'||Díaz 90+1'|
|Bogado 47' (pen.)
|2007 South American Youth Championship Winners|
Qualifiers for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World CupEdit
Qualifiers for the 2008 Olympic Games of BeijingEdit
- Argentina and Brazil were looking to finish in the top 4 in order to qualify for the World Youth Championship, a competition which the two sides have thoroughly dominated, having won 9 of the 16 World Youth titles between them.
- The hosts Paraguay were also hoping to do well, they had finished in the top two every time they have hosted the event before, but they had a disappointing campaign, finishing fifth, missing out on a place in the World Youth Championship altogether.
- Colombia were the defending champions and the only team other than Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay to have won the tournament on more than one occasion.
- Chile were looking to qualify for the world Youth Championship, they managed to qualify in 2005 with only 5 points from 5 games, this time around they qualified with 6 points from 5 games.
- The club teams that contributed the most players to the tournament are:
- Only two clubs from outside South America contributed more than one player to the tournament: