Adetokunboh Olufela Durotoye (born in Ibadan, Oyo State on 12 May 1971) is a business consultant, leadership expert, and motivational speaker. Fela is the president of the GEMSTONE Nation Builders Foundation, a non-profit, non-governmental organization targeted at training youths towards transformational leadership and social change. He was the Nigerian presidential candidate of the Alliance for New Nigeria party (ANN) for the 2019 presidential elections.
Adetokunboh Olufela Durotoye
12 May 1971
|Education||Moremi High School|
Obafemi Awolowo University
|Occupation||business consultant, leadership expert, motivational speaker.|
Fela Durotoye was born to Layiwola and Adeline Durotoye, both professors at the University of Ibadan. After his parents moved to Obafemi Awolowo University|University of Ife, Fela attended the Staff Children's School (1974–1981) and graduated to Moremi High School (1981–1986). Durotoye proceeded to earn his Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science with Economics, as well as a Master's Degree in Business Administration (M.B.A) at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. He is an alumnus of John F. Kennedy School of Government Executive Education program of Harvard University.
Fela Durotoye attended the High Impact Leadership for a better society program at the Yale University, he is also a certified leadership coach of the John Maxwell team. In 2015, Fela completed the executive seminar program on strategy, innovation and governance at the Lagos Business school. This was followed by the supernumerary police training program at the Nigerian Police training college where he passed out with a distinction.
Fela Durotoye was a financial analyst at Ventures & Trusts Limited in 1992. He was the head of customer service department at Phillips Consulting Limited in 1998. Fela went on to start V.I.P Consulting Limited in year 2000 which soon became notable in customer and human management in Nigeria. The firm was restructured and switched from a consulting firm to a social enterprise called Visible Impact Limited.
In 2018, Durotoye gave a speech to over 200 entrepreneurs at the inaugural Nigerian American Business Forum in Tampa Florida, where he shared the podium with senior senator Mohammed Shaaba Lafiagi, senator Ben Murray-Bruce, Nigerian Stock Exchange chairman Abimbola Ogunbanjo, Media pioneer Biodun Shobanjo, former governor Peter Obi and technologist Ade Olufeko.
In December 2009, he championed then urban renewal project "Mushin Makeover". The project involved Banky W, Alibaba, Kate Henshaw, Omoni Oboli, Teju Babyface, Sound Sultan, TY Bello, Dj Jimmy Jatt, Omawunmi, Denrele, Dele Momodu, Tosin Bucknor, Stella Damascus, Tee A, Segun Dangote, Ebuka Obi among others, painting and calling for donations of paints for the project. Young professionals donated free paint and were on hand to paint.
Fela mobilized over 2,000 volunteers to paint 296 houses across 7 streets of the Mushin suburb of Lagos at no charge to the owners and resident of the buildings. In the course of the Mushin Makeover project, over 100 unemployed youths were trained by Berger Paints PLC in ‘The Art & Technique of Painting’. The youths went on to earn a living as painters as a result of the Mushin Makeover project.
On February 22, 2018, he made his intention to run for Presidency in the 2019 Nigerian general election under the political party Alliance for New Nigeria. A coalition of 11 aspirants under the umbrella of the Presidential Aspirants Coming Together (PACT) unanimously elected Fela Durotoye as their consensus candidate. On Saturday, September 29, 2018, he emerged as the presidential candidate of the Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN) for the 2019 general elections.
While contesting for office, Fela said "its not easy to run for office", but added that, "the best way to serve his nation's interest is to do so from the nation's highest office". After several months he chose Khadijah Abdullahi-Iya as his running mate. She has been a successful social entrepreneur and would be his vice-President.
On Thursday 24 January 2019, Fela Durotoye took to his twitter handle commending Oby Ezekwesili for leading the frontier of building a formidable coalition and presenting a Consensus Candidate for the 2019 Presidential elections. He further expressed his willingness to support the candidacy of a Consensus candidate chosen from among the frontline alternative candidates, which include Fela Durotoye, Omoyele Sowore & Kingsley Moghalu through a transparent electoral process if he did not emerge as the Consensus candidate in the forthcoming election. Prior to this consensus was a Coalition between the Young progressive party and the Alliance for New Nigeria which was to be known as “The Force”.
Fela is married to Tara Fela-Durotoye, a Nigerian make-up artist, lawyer and CEO of House of Tara. They have three sons, Mobolurin, Demilade & Morolaoluwa. Fela Durotoye is a Christian, together with his whole family.
- Means God enlarge my coast in Yoruba
- "'Varsities need alumni support to survive'". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- "Right leadership as catalyst for Nigeria's rebirth". Retrieved 2018-03-06.
- Ebuzor, Chika. "Fela Durotoye is officially the presidential candidate of ANN". Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Fela Durotoye: I Am Willing to Serve Nigeria If Power Brokers Are Transparent and Honest". Thisdaylive. October 21, 2017. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Fela Durotoye, Chief Executive, Visible Impact | The Future Project". www.thefutureafrica.com. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Fela Durotoye: Proudly Nigerian - iNigerian.com". iNigerian.com. 2008-02-02. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Fela Durotoye:certified leadership coach". Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Fela Durotoye completes executive training programme". Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Fela Durotoye completes police training programme". Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Motivational Speaker, FELA DUROTOYE Storms City People., Talks About How To Create A New NIGERIA | City People Magazine". City People Magazine. 2018-01-22. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Egbemode, Fela Durotoye to speak at RCCG conference". newtelegraphonline.com. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Ohiwerei, Durotoye for Students Fortress Conference – Punch Newspapers". punchng.com. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Obasanjo, Gov. Ahmed, Dabiri-Erewa, others to attend investment forum in U.S." Vanguard News. Vanguard (Nigeria). Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "2019 Presidency: Is Fela Durotoye overreaching himself? - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 2018-03-03. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- Ebuzor, Chika. "5 important things Fela Durotoye wants Nigerians to know about him". Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- "Mushin Makeover TODAY! - BellaNaija". BellaNaija. 2009-12-12. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- "2019 Presidency: Is Fela Durotoye overreaching himself?". The Vanguard. March 3, 2018. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- siteadmin (2018-08-30). "Fela Durotoye Emerges PACT Consensus Presidential Candidate | Sahara Reporters". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Fela Durotoye says running for office is not easy". Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- Polycarp, Nwafor (2018-11-27). "2019 Election: Durotoye picks Khadijah Abdullahi-Iya as running mate". Vanguard News Nigeria. Retrieved 2018-12-23.
- "Fela Durotoye Commends Oby Ezekwesili, expresses commitment to renew search for coalition candidate". Oak TV Newstrack. Oak tv. 24 January 2019. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- "Tara & Fela Durotoye celebrate 17th Wedding Anniversary - BellaNaija". www.bellanaija.com. Retrieved 2018-06-10.