This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sound Sultan (born Olanrewaju Fasasi on November 27, 1976) is a Nigerian rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, comedian and recording artist. He is regarded as one of the pacesetters of modern hip hop music in Nigeria.
|Birth name||Olanrewaju Fasasi|
|Also known as||Sound Sultan|
|Born||November 27, 1976|
Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
|Genres||R&B, hip hop, reggae, Afrobeat|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, rapper, comedian, actor, musician, record producer, executive producer, basketball club co -owner|
|Associated acts||2face Idibia, Wyclef Jean, WizKid, Sarkodie, Banky W, M.I, Faze, Plantashun Boyz, BlackFace Naija|
In 1991, he had taken an interest in music, miming at school parties and writing his own lyrics. He attributes his early influence to his elder brother Baba Dee who studied theatre arts, and received most of his early stage experience through Baba Dee. He started learning how to play the guitar after his secondary school education and was in a band by 1999.
Sound Sultan's career in show business started in the 1990s, when he hosted shows to raise money for studio sessions.
By 1999, he had won numerous local talent-hunt shows. He released his first single "Jagbajantis" in 2000, which was a hit in Nigeria. After independently releasing other singles and featuring in hit songs of other artists, he was signed by Kennis Music.
Under Kennis Music, he released four albums. By 2007, his contract with the label expired and he partnered with Baba Dee to start Naija Ninjas, a parent organization for a record label, production outfit and clothing line. After starting as a rapper, he has worked in different musical genres from R&B to Afrobeat, soul and Nigerian Fuji music. He has said that artists shouldn't be judged on the genre in which they perform, that the important thing is the message conveyed in the music.
Under Naija Ninjas, he released Back From The Future (2010) and signed artists such as Karma Da Rapper, Young GreyC, Shawn and Blacka.
Sound Sultan began a working relationship with Wyclef Jean when featured alongside 2face Idibia and Faze on "Proud to be African" from Wyclef's Welcome to Haiti: Creole 101 album. They have collaborated on two other projects: "King of My Country" (2009) and "People Bad" (2012).
In 2015, Sound Sultan released the rap single "Remember" after a long absence from the music scene.
After the fallout of the African Basketball League, Sound Sultan joined forces with the organizers of the Continental Basketball League to become a team owner of Lagos City Stars (the 2017 champions) and a facilitator of the league entertainment.
- Kpseeeeeeew (2001)
- Textbook (2004)
- Naija 007 (2007)
- SS4 (2008)
- Back to The future (2010)
- Me, My Mouth and Eye (2012)
- Out of The Box (2016)
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Who Is Sound Sultan? Here's Everything You Need To Know About Him". BuzzNigeria - Famous People, Celebrity Bios, Updates and Trendy News. August 1, 2018. Retrieved March 27, 2021.
- "Mathematics (Jagbajantis) | AMDB Music". AMDB Music. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- "Kennis:Yesterday, today and Kelly Hansome". Punchng.com. June 15, 2012. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- Nkechi Opurum (August 26, 2012). "Sound Sultan features Wyclef on track | Daily Times Nigeria". Dailytimes.com.ng. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "Sound Sultan, Goldie Made Un Ambassadors". nigeriafilms.com. March 24, 2012. Archived from the original on April 8, 2014. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "Fresh Music: Sound Sultan – Remember". ExclusivelyNaija. Ifode Concepts. July 25, 2015. Archived from the original on September 26, 2015. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- "Music News: Bridal | The Indie Music Press Release Board | Honorebel - Upcoming Releases (Reggae)". Retrieved June 23, 2020.
- "Celebrity Wedding Update: Sound Sultan | Tosin Sido | Sokleva Hughes of Rooftop MCs". Bella Naija. October 8, 2009. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "Meet Sound Sultan's Beautiful Wife And Children You All Didn't Know (PHOTOS)". AKPRAISE'S BLOG. March 26, 2015. Archived from the original on September 25, 2015. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Oyeleye, Stephen. "Sound Sultan – Naija Jungle". GbeduJamzng. Retrieved June 12, 2018.