This article's "Career" section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2021)
John Calvin Maxwell (born February 20, 1947) is an American author, speaker, and pastor who has written many books, primarily focusing on leadership. Titles include The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader. His books have sold millions of copies, with some on the New York Times Best Seller List.
John C. Maxwell
|Born||February 20, 1947|
Garden City, Michigan, United States
|Occupation||Author, professional speaker, pastor|
Maxwell was born in Garden City, Michigan in 1947. An evangelical Christian, he followed his father into the ministry. He completed a bachelor's degree at Circleville Bible College in 1969, a Master of Divinity degree at Azusa Pacific University, and a Doctor of Ministry degree at Fuller Theological Seminary. He currently resides in South Florida with his wife, Margaret. He is an ordained minister in the Wesleyan Church.
Since the 1970s, Maxwell has led churches in Indiana, Ohio, California, and Florida. After serving as senior pastor for 14 years, he left Skyline Church in 1995. In 2004 he returned to congregational ministry at Christ Fellowship in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, where he is currently a teaching pastor. On November 16, 2008, he began serving as a guest pastor at Crystal Cathedral in Orange County, California. His mentor, Robert H. Schuller, had a variety of noted evangelical pastors preach at his megachurch after his son, Robert A. Schuller, resigned as senior pastor in 2008. Maxwell returned to preach at the Crystal Cathedral several times and his messages were broadcast on the Hour of Power television program.
Maxwell is a leadership expert, speaker, and author. He is the founder of INJOY, Maximum Impact, The John Maxwell Team, ISS and EQUIP. EQUIP is an international leadership development organization working to help leaders, involved with leaders from more than 80 nations. Its mission is "to see effective Christian leaders fulfill the Great Commission in every nation".
Maxwell speaks annually to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and organizations as diverse as the United States Military Academy at West Point and the National Football League. A New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Business Week best-selling author, he was one of 25 authors named to Amazon.com's 10th Anniversary Hall of Fame. Three of his books, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, Developing the Leader Within You, and The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, have each sold over a million copies.
In 2007 Maxwell was inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa at Concordia University Irvine. Maxwell has a building named after him and his family at Indiana Wesleyan University, the Maxwell Center for Business and Leadership, as a result of his influence on the Wesleyan Church, the owner of the university. In 2015, he was inducted into the IWU Society of World Changers, where he was honored with an honorary doctorate degree.
Maxwell was a keynote speaker at National Agents Alliance NAA Leadership Conference several times, most recently in 2010. Maxwell was the keynote speaker for the Symmetry Financial Group's National Conference in February 2018. In 2012 he was awarded the Golden Gavel by Toastmasters International.
Leadership training in GuatemalaEdit
In July 2013, Maxwell's organization trained 24,000 leaders in Guatemala. Several "John Maxwell Team" members took part in the week long leadership training sessions. In March 2022, Maxwell visited a Christian "Conference for Life and the Family" in Guatemala-City, supported by Guatemala's president, Alejandro Giammattei. During a meeting with employers, he praised Guatemalan Attorney General, Maria Consuelo Porras, calling her "a rockstar" and a "leader of leaders".
- See List of books by John C. Maxwell for a more complete list
- There's No Such Thing as Business Ethics (There's Only ONE RULE for Making Decisions), Warner Business Books 2003
- The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth, Center Street – 2012
- The 5 Levels of Leadership, Center Street – 2011
- Everyone Communicates, Few Connect: What the Most Effective People Do Differently, Thomas Nelson –2010
- Put Your Dream to the Test, Thomas Nelson – March, 2009
- Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading, Thomas Nelson – March 2008
- The 360° Leader, Thomas Nelson, January 2006 – One of Executive Book Summaries 30 Best Business Books in 2003
- Winning With People, Thomas Nelson, December 2004 – One of Executive Book Summaries 30 Best Business Books in 2005
- 25 Ways to win with People companion to Winning With People
- Today Matters, Warner Books, April 2004
- Thinking For a Change, Warner Business Books, March 2003
- Your Road Map for Success, Thomas Nelson, March 2002 (Orig.titled: The Success Journey, Thomas Nelson, 1997)
- The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork, Thomas Nelson, August 2001
- Failing Forward–Turning Your Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success, Thomas Nelson, 2000
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, Thomas Nelson, 1998
- Developing the Leaders Around You, Thomas Nelson, 1995 (Repackaged 2003)
- Developing the Leader Within You, Thomas Nelson, 1993 (Repackaged 2001)
- Be a People Person, Cook Communications (Originally Chariot-Victor Books, 1989)
- Be All You Can Be, Cook Communications (Originally Chariot-Victor Books, 1987)
- Make Today Count, Center Street, First Center Street Edition: June 2008
- How Successful People Think (originally published as Thinking for a Change), Center Street, First Center Street Edition: June 2009
- Intentional Living: Choosing a Life That Matters, Center Street, 2015
- Developing the Leader Within You 2.0, HarperCollins, 2018
- "Hardcover Business Bestsellers", New York Times (2006-05-06).
- "Hardcover Business Bestsellers", New York Times (1999-04-11).
- "Detailes del libro que Nicanor le regaló a Fernando Lugo", Ultima Hora (2008-04-28): "John C. Maxwell is a recognized international lecturer on leadership, born in Garden City, Michigan, the United States in 1947.... He has authored over 70 books, which have sold more than 19 million copies. He is the founder of Injoy Stewardship Services and EQUIP, an international non-profit organization which stands for "Encouraging Qualities Underdeveloped in People" [translated from Spanish].
- "iwusojourn.com". www.iwusojourn.com. Archived from the original on 2017-01-07. Retrieved 2016-08-31.
- "Top 50 Leadership and Management Experts". Inc. Magazine. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "EQUIP, Johns Creek, Georgia". ChristianVolunteering.com. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Jacket notes, inside back flap "The Difference Maker". He is also the recipient of the Go Giver Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011
- "IWU Inducts John Maxwell as 12th World Changer".
- "John Maxwell LOVES Andy Albright & NAA!". youtube.com. Archived from the original on 2021-12-14. Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- "John Maxwell to Serve as Keynote Speaker for Symmetry Financial Group's National Conference". PRWeb. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Golden Gavel Award". Toastmasters International. Archived from the original on May 21, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Local Businessman Conducts Transformational Leadership Training with the John Maxwell Team in Guatemala". DallasNews.com. Archived from the original on October 28, 2013. Retrieved July 3, 2013.
- "Congreso por la Vida y la Familia de un Estado fundamentalista". 7 March 2022.
- "John C. Maxwell, en evento de la CIG, llama "líder" a Consuelo Porras". 5 March 2022.