Benedict Murray-Bruce, MON (born 18 February 1956) is a Nigerian business magnate and politician. He is the founder of Silverbird Group. A member of the People's Democratic Party, he was elected to the Senate of Nigeria in March 2015 where he currently represents the Bayelsa East constituency, in Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
|Member of the Senate of Nigeria|
May 29, 2015
|Preceded by||Clever Ikisikpo|
17 February 1956 |
Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria
|Education||St. Gregory's College, Lagos|
|Alma mater||University of South Carolina|
|Known for||Silverbird Group|
Early life and educationEdit
Bruce was born in Lagos to Ijaw parents Mullighan and Margaret Murray-Bruce who both hail from Akassa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. He attended Our Lady of Apostles, Yaba, Lagos, where he completed his primary education and St Gregory College, Obalende where he obtained the West African School Certificate before he proceeded to the University of South Carolina in the United States, where he received a bachelor's degree in Marketing in 1979.
Ben has served in various public positions. He served as Director General of Nigerian Television Authority from 1999 to 2003. Prior to starting Silverbird Group, he promoted the Miss Universe Nigeria Pageant in 1983, Miss Intercontinental Pageant, 1986-1994 and to date, he promotes the annual Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria Pageant which he began in 1986. He is currently a Member of the Board of National Arts Theatre, Nigerian Film Corporation, Federal Films Censors Board, National Film Distribution Company and Nigerian Anti- Piracy Action Committee.
In an interview with Connect Nigeria, Ben said he got into show business "by accident". His passion for show business made him and his wife to establish the now defunct Silverbird Magazine in 1980 with a loan from his father. Ben later went into promoting concerts.
In 2011, Ben ran for the governorship of Bayelsa State which was unsuccessful after he was screened out of the gubernatorial race under the umbrella of the People's Democratic Party. On 27 October 2014, Ben later declared his intention to represent Bayelsa East Senatorial District at the National Assembly under the umbrella of the People's Democratic Party which he went on to win.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- "Personality of The Week: Ben Murray Bruce". Silverbird TV. 18 February 2015. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Richard Osunde (13 March 2013). "Ben Murray Bruce". Biography Home. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "Ben Murray-Bruce". Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Florence Amagiya (27 December 2014). "A peep into Ben Bruce business empire". Vanguard Nigeria. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "Ben Murray Bruce". MTVBase Meets. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor, Samuel Oyadongha & Henry Umoru (14 November 2011). "Bayelsa Guber ticket: PDP finally drops Sylva, Alaibe, Bruce". Vanguard Nigeria. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Timothy Enietan-Matthews (28 October 2014). "Ben Murray-Bruce joins race for Senate". DailyPost Nigeria. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- CKN Nigeria (30 March 2015). "Ben Bruce Wins Election Into The Senate". CKN Nigeria. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Richard Akinwumi (29 September 2014). "Jonathan names Nigeria's national flag designer, Akinkunmi, special aide for life". Premium Times. Retrieved 2015-06-18.