List of fatal dog attacks in the United States
Fatal dog attacks in the United States cause the deaths of about 30 to 50 people in the US each year, and the number of deaths from dog attacks appears to be increasing. Around 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year, resulting in the hospitalization of 6,000 to 13,000 people each year in the United States (2005). A 2018 literature review with meta-analysis by breed, focusing on dog bite injuries to the face, head and neck, concluded that "of the cases in which the breed was known, the Pit-bull was responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies followed by mixed breed and then German Shepherds," and that "injuries from Pitbull's and mixed breed dogs were both more frequent and more severe."
Injuries, illnesses, and fatalities resulting from encounters with dogs are a major public health concern worldwide. Dogs not only cause morbidity and mortality as a result of bites, but they may also transmit zoonotic infections, which may also result in illness or death. Dogs are the main source of rabies transmission to humans worldwide. It is estimated that 3% to 18% of dog bite wounds become infected, with occasional cases of meningitis, endocarditis, and septic shock leading to death reported. Children have the greatest risk of death.
Below are lists of fatal dog attacks in the United States reported by the news media, published in scholarly papers, or mentioned through other sources. In the lists below, the breed is assigned by the sources.
Fatalities prior to year 2020Edit
Fatalities in 2020Edit
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 8||Taos Pueblo, New Mexico||Kay Torres||52 years||pack of dogs||Torres was found near an intersection on Tribal Lands, being attacked by a pack of dogs. The caller stated she fended off the dogs with a broom. The FBI reported that an autopsy performed on Torres concluded that she died from an "apparent dog attack" and not, as was rumored on social media, a homicide. Taos Pueblo is an Indian Reservation, with a large population of dogs owned by residents and permitted to roam freely, according to Torres' sister.|
|January 9||Dayton, Ohio||McKenzie Terwell||4 months||pit bull type dog||Around midnight, the father of the infant called 911 after he returned to the home and found his daughter on the floor, unresponsive. The Commander of the Violent Crime Bureau stated that the child had been attacked by the family dog and died from her injuries. The coroner ruled the death an accident and stated the child died from blood loss. The incident is under investigation by the Special Victims Unit.|
|January 10||Rockcastle County, Kentucky||Donald Abner||55 years||pit bull||Police were called to the home after a neighbor called 911. They found Abner in the backyard being attacked by the dog and its owner, Melissa Wolke (38). Wolke was sitting on Abner and punching him in the face while the dog attacked him. Wolke had to be tased to remove her from Abner's body and the police put down the "overly aggressive" dog named Denali. The victim had bite wounds on his head and face. Wolke was charged with murder.|
|January 25||Lafayette, Indiana||Julian Connell||1 month||pit bull mix||The pit bull mix was fighting with a beagle mix in the family home. The teenage son removed the beagle from the room to get it away from the pit bull. The pit bull mix then attacked the baby. The coroner stated that one month old Julian died from multiple sharp, catastrophic injuries to his head and neck. The boy's mother was sentenced to one year in jail after pleading guilty to neglect of a dependent resulting in bodily injury.|
|January 30||Attala County, Mississippi||Harvey Harmon, Jr||76 years||2 pit bulls and 2 mixed breeds||The victim was pulled out of his wheelchair by four dogs and mauled to death in his front yard in the Palestine community. The two pit bulls belonged to Harmon's nephew and the two mixed breeds were strays that "hung around" the area. 3 of the 4 dogs were put down by a veterinarian at the scene, the 4th, one of the strays, escaped.|
|February 10||Oro Grande, California||Sterling Vermeer||5 years||pit bull||The family pit bull, "Thor", killed Sterling in the family home. The 5-year-old was dead by the time the police arrived. A family member called 911 stating that the pit bull attacked the child and would not let go.|
|February 11||Plainfield, Illinois||Devin White||25 years||pit bull||In an unprovoked attack, the family pit bull attacked the victim and 3 other adults (a 52-year-old woman, a 25-year-old woman, and a 19-year-old man). All four victims were taken to the hospital, but White later succumbed to the severe injuries he received when his pit bull mauled him after he tried to stop the attack on the other people in the home.|
|February 18||Knott County, Kentucky||Corey Godsey||13 years||pack of feral dogs||The victim was killed by dogs on a rural hillside. An investigation by state police led to DNA matches with several feral dogs at a nearby mine site.|
|February 23||Crawford County, Georgia||Lee Alvin Bechum||76 years||pit bulls (2) + Labrador-mix (1)||The victim was found dead outside his home with dog bites. Autopsy confirmed the cause was traumatic injuries due to a dog attack. The neighbors were arrested two weeks later and charged with involuntary manslaughter. The three dogs were confiscated.|
|February 27||Shreveport, Louisiana||Geraldine Hamlin||64 years||2 pit bulls||Hamlin was attacked by the two family pit bulls in her home she shared with her son and died as a result of her injuries.|
|March 3||Chipley, Florida||Beverly Jean Dove||60 years||pack of dogs||The victim was attacked by a pack of at least five dogs while walking near the assisted living facility of which she was a resident. The dogs lived on a nearby property and were not stray. All of the dogs were captured by animal control.|
|March 9||Portsmouth, Virginia||Demi Witherspoon||2 years||pit bull||The family dog bit the child's face completely off.|
|April 11||Portland, Oregon||Frederick Shew||70 years||Mastiff||The victim was killed by his own dog after going to bed. The victim's housemate heard a loud noise and when he went to check on it, he found the dog biting and shaking the victim's neck. The housemate was able to wrestle the dog away from the victim; it was too late, however, and the victim died from the bite wounds before paramedics arrived. The dog had a history of aggression and was previously involved with several bite-related incidents. The dog was seized by authorities and was euthanized the next day.|
|April 12||Fort Worth, Texas||Sharon Rene Baldwin||60 years||pit bull||The elderly wheelchair-bound woman was attacked on March 28 by a dog in the household which bit her arm, shoulder and neck. Her death two weeks later was listed as "mauling by canine." The dog was held for two weeks and then euthanized.|
|April 22||Memphis, Tennessee||Doris Arrington||59 years||<unspecified>||The victim was found dead after being attacked, and four dogs covered in blood were discovered at a nearby house. Three people, the owners of the dogs, were indicted and arrested on reckless homicide charges. The dogs had been the subject of several previous aggressive incident complaints and all four were euthanized.|
|May 7||Lyons, Georgia||Nancy Shaw||62 years||<unreleased> (4)||A local doctor was found lying dead in a ditch with her car door open and the engine running. She had been attacked by dogs. Three dogs were found and seized; a fourth had been killed by a neighbor.|
|May 9||Fox Lake, Illinois||Lisa Urso||52 years||French Bulldog mix, possibly a Shorty Bull||The victim was found unresponsive on the back patio of her home with multiple dog bite-related injuries after being attacked by her family dog. The dog had been involved in two previous bite incidents, one of which had required her boyfriend to seek medical attention after the dog bit him.|
|May 28||Mount Vernon, Arkansas||Robert Taylor||9 years||pit bulls (2)||The boy was mauled and killed by the neighbor's pit bulls when he had gone outside to check the mail. The dogs had been aggressive in the past. The dog's owner was arrested on a "felony tampering with physical evidence" charge.|
|May 31||Murray County, Georgia||Skylar Headrick||11 years||Neapolitan Mastiffs (2)||The victim was attacked by the two family dogs and was found deceased by her older sister on the basement floor of her home with injures consistent with dog bites. The victim's family stated that the two dogs were never aggressive towards anyone before. The dogs were surrendered and are no longer with the family.|
|June 1||Stockton, California||Brice Sanders||2 years||pit bull||A toddler was attacked by a dog on May 31 and mauled. He was transported to a hospital and died the following day.|
|June 3||Country Club Hills, Illinois||Kati Amos||70 years||<unspecified> (4)||Police arrived during the attack of four dogs on an elderly woman in a yard. She was taken to hospital and pronounced dead. The dogs belonged to the victim and her relatives. One dog was killed on scene and the other three confiscated.|
|June 11||Hartford, South Dakota||<undisclosed boy>||6 weeks||Belgian Malinois||The infant was bitten several times by the family dog. He was flown to a hospital where he later died. The dog was seized.|
|June 28||Mandeville, Louisiana||Barbara Cook||72 years||pit bull||The victim was killed after being attacked by her daughter's two pit bulls near Mandeville, Louisiana. At the time of the attack, Barbara was babysitting her grandson and put herself between her grandson and the dog in an attempt to protect him.|
|June 29||Hunt County, Texas||Baby Jonah||23 months||pit bull||The toddler had gotten out of his enclosed yard, unnoticed, and was attacked in the street by a neighbor's dog which escaped its four-foot chain link fenced yard. The child was transported to hospital but did not survive his injuries. The dog was seized.|
|July 1||Jeffersonville, Indiana||Donald Ryan||62 years||pit bull||The victim was still being attacked at his home by his own dog when responders arrived. After trying pepper spray, a police officer shot the dog to stop the attack.|
|July 5||Joliet, Illinois||Marley Wilander||1 year||pit bull-mix||The child was attacked in an upstairs bedroom in the middle of the night. The child's family had been visiting the household for a July 4 party and the household dogs had been confined to the basement.|
|July 16||East Providence, Rhode Island||Scarlett Pereira||1 year||pit bull||In an unprovoked attack, the family dog attacked the child when the adults went outside for lunch and placed the child on the ground. Two adults were injured trying to intervene in the attack. Responders were unable to capture the dog, which was loose in the backyard, and later climbed onto the roof and shot it.|
|August 7||Akron, Ohio||<undisclosed baby boy>||7 months||pit bull||The child was attacked by the 7-year old family dog while in the arms of his great-grandmother.|
|August 26||Belleville, Illinois||Stephen Pemberton Sr.||61 years||pit bull (2)||The victim was attacked by two dogs in his home. The two dogs were usually kept in the laundry room when the dogs' owner, the victim's 45-year-old stepson, left the house. The stepson's wife and another adult remained shut in another room during the attack and phoned the dog's owner, who arrived home to find his stepfather dead.|
|August 28||Margate, Florida||Carolyn Varanese||84 years||American Bulldog or pit bull or pit bull-mix||The victim was killed in her home by the dog that her son had adopted only a few weeks earlier. Her son was injured trying to stop the attack. The dog was seized by animal control and euthanized.|
|September 11||McCurtain County, Oklahoma||Undisclosed||70 years||pit bull (2)||An elderly woman was attacked when she was dropped off by her daughter at her other daughter's house. The victim suffered extremely severe facial lacerations and a partially amputated leg. The woman's two daughters were also bitten, and all three women were transported to a hospital. A family member euthanized the dogs.|
|September 29||Gray Court, South Carolina||Jacqueline Robinson||32 years||Pit bull-mix (3)||The victim was killed by three dogs while walking along a lane. The dogs were seized from a nearby property. The dogs' owner was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter and three counts of possessing a dangerous animal.|
|October 8||Moses Lake, Washington||Zachary S. Willis||27 years||pit bull or mix||One man was killed and a woman seriously injured. The dog lived at the home with the victims.|
|October 14||Schofield Barracks, Hawaii||<undisclosed>||3–4 months||<unspecified>||An infant suffered head injuries when attacked at home by a dog, and was pronounced dead at Tripler Army Medical Center. Reports differ on whether the infant was three or four months old.|
|October 19||Nauvoo, Alabama||Ruthie Mae Brown||36 years||<unspecified> (5+)||The victim was killed by a pack of dogs while walking down Jagger Road. Two of the animals were turned in by their owner, while three others were captured. The pack was familiar to people who lived in the area, and a witness stated the victim was attacked by seven or eight dogs.|
|October 23||Tulsa, Oklahoma||Curtis Wickham||26 years||pit bull (3)||Three pit bulls attacked Curtis Wickham after he got into a fight with the dogs' owner, Benjamin Spence. Wickham died from his injuries at the hospital. Police arrested Spence after prosecutors charged him with second degree murder for ordering his dogs to attack Wickham.|
|October 26||Hampton, Virginia||<undisclosed>||<undisclosed>(infant)||German Shepherd||A German Shepherd killed an infant while the baby was sleeping in their parents' bedroom. The baby's father woke during the attack and killed the dog immediately after.|
|November 17–18||Bascom, Florida||Donald Allen Sr.||65 years||pack of dogs||A pack of dogs killed the victim at some time during the night of November 17–18 while he was walking along an isolated dirt road. Law enforcement authorities later released trail camera photos of the dog pack believed to be responsible for the killing.|
|December 11||Battle Lake, Minnesota||Deon Bush||14 years||German Shepherd||The victim was killed when he went outside in the back yard to care for a male dog his family kept for breeding purposes. The dog was euthanized at the family's request.|
|December 17||Joliet, Illinois||Erick J. Quinn||46 years||pit bull||The victim was killed when he tried to calm the five-year-old dog, which had become agitated when two women in the home Quinn was visiting began arguing about money.|
|December 20||Tallahassee, Florida||<undisclosed female>||<undisclosed>||Pit bull||The victim was trying to stop two pit bulls from fighting when she was attacked by a third pit bull. There were four adult pit bulls and nine three-week-old pit bull puppies living at the home.|
Fatalities in 2021Edit
|Date||Location||Victim's name||Victim's age||Category of dog||Circumstances|
|January 20||Brunson, South Carolina||Cameron Hatfield||6 years||Pit bull||Hatfield was killed at home by the dog, which was later seized and euthanized by animal control authorities. The victim's mother had recently taken the dog in as a stray and was trying to find a new home for it.|
|February 10||Kearney, Nebraska||<undisclosed female>||1 month||American Bulldog||The victim died of blunt force and cranial trauma inflicted by the dog, which was later euthanized.|
|February 15||Porter, Texas||Deann Stephenson||59 years||Pack of 4 dogs||Stephenson was killed while walking to the store when the dogs attacked her after escaping through an open gate from a landscaping company's fenced-in property. The dogs' owner was cited for failure to provide proof of rabies vaccinations and for failing to contain them. Animal control authorities euthanized the dogs after the owner surrendered them.|
|March 16||Carteret, New Jersey||Aziz Ahmed||3 years||(2) Pit bull||Ahmed and his mother were in their own fenced-in back yard when the dogs attacked them after digging under the fence from the adjoining yard. The boy was evacuated by helicopter and died of his injuries at a local hospital, while his mother was hospitalized with serious injuries. The dogs were shot and killed by police who responded to the incident.|
|March 19||Springfield, Illinois||A’Myrikal Jolynn Hull||1 year||Pit bull - Patterdale Terrier mix||Hull was bitten on the head when she got too close to the dog while it was eating and died at the hospital. Family members said the dog had no violent history with humans or other dogs.|
|April 1||Cocke County, Tennessee||Tony Ahrens||52 years||Pack of dogs||Ahrens body was found by the side of a road with lacerations and flesh missing from his left arm. Authorities were unable to find the dogs that killed him.|
|April 27||Garner, North Carolina||Jayden Belle Henderson||7 years||(2) Pit bull||Heather Trevaskis and her daughter, Jayden Belle Henderson, were taking care of the pit bulls while the dogs' owners were out of town. The dogs were seized by animal control authorities and euthanized after a court ruled the city did not have to return the dogs to their owners.|
|April 30||Fort Worth, Texas||Elayah Brown||4 years||Mixed breed||Brown was killed in her home's back yard by the family dog. The dog was seized and euthanized by animal control authorities.|
|May 7||Sulphur, Louisiana||Dustin Vincent||27 years||Pit bull (3)||Vincent was attacked when he went to visit a relative and entered the back yard where the dogs were, despite being warned by the property owner not to do so. He suffered severe wounds to his head, face, and legs, and was in critical condition after being airlifted by helicopter to a hospital. He died of his injuries on May 11.|
|May 9||Whitehall, Montana||Elliott Sherwin||4 years||Rottweiler (2)||Sherwin was declared dead at the scene after two dogs attacked him at his grandparents' house. Both dogs were euthanized.|
|May 10||Norwich, Connecticut||Carter Settles||1 month||Pit bull mix||Settles was being held by a relative when the dog jumped up and inflicted multiple traumatic injuries. The boy was pronounced dead at the scene and the dog was seized by law enforcement authorities, who announced it would be euthanized.|
|May 11||Big Spring, Texas||John Henry||46 years||Pit bull mix||Henry died after suffering a heart attack that investigators attributed to being attacked by the dog, which also attacked one of two neighbors who tried to drive it off. The dog was eventually frightened away by police gunfire, and its owner later surrendered the dog to animal control authorities for euthanasia.|
|May 16||Fort Defiance, Arizona||Lyssa Rose Upshaw||13 years||pack of dogs||Upshaw was killed while she was walking near her home. Family members searching for her were also attacked by dogs, as were police responding to the call that her body was found, according to Upshaw's mother. Animal control authorities seized 12 dogs found in a locked building near the location where her body was found as evidence.|
|May 24||Veguita, New Mexico||Jose Ortega||53 years||Pit bull-mix (4)||Ortega was killed at the house where he was being paid to water the outdoor plants. A deputy sheriff shot one of the four dogs; animal control authorities seized and euthanized all the dogs found at the scene, including six pit bull-mix puppies that were found to be too aggressive to be adopted. The dogs' owner was charged with felony possession of a dangerous dog that caused the death of a human being without provocation, felony tampering with evidence, and a misdemeanor count of failing to report a death.|
|May 25||Willow Spring, North Carolina||Malia Scott Winberry||10 months||Rottweiler (2)||The family dogs attacked Winberry inside her home after her father walked outside the house to move a water sprinkler in the yard. Animal control authorities took control of the dogs.|
|June 9||Elizabeth, New Jersey||<undisclosed male>||3 years||Pit bull (2)||The family dogs killed the boy after he fell out of a window into the back yard. Animal control authorities seized the dogs to be euthanized.|
|June 13||Marion County, South Carolina||Shamar Jackson||7 years||pack of mixed breed dogs||Jackson was killed while trying to save his Chihuahua from a pack of dogs that had escaped their owners' property. Jackson's two older brothers escaped with the Chihuahua over a nearby fence, but the dogs pulled down and killed Shamar when he was unable to climb the fence. Law enforcement authorities seized five adult dogs and a puppy from the dog owner's property, and the owner was charged with involuntary manslaughter.|
|June 19||Skiatook, Oklahoma||Rebecca McCurdy||28 years||Pit Bull (1+)||McCurdy was killed while house sitting and taking care of dogs for a friend who was breeding pit bulls for sale. Sheriff's deputies who arrived to check on McCurdy's welfare found her body in the garage along with several caged dogs, one cage toppled over, and signs of a dog attack. The medical examiner confirmed she was killed by a dog attack, and the owner surrendered all the dogs for euthanasia.|
|July 6||Phoenix, Arizona||Maria Eliza Sebastian Ruiz||77 years||Staffordshire Terrier-mix (4)||Ruiz was killed on her front porch by her neighbor's dogs after they escaped from their yard. Animal control authorities seized and euthanized the dogs, which had a history of escaping and biting the neighbors, and their owner was charged with negligent homicide.|
|July 12||Cocke County, Tennessee||Amber Miller||22 years||Pack of 3 dogs||Miller died in a hospital six days after being found with one her calves|
|July 18||El Paso, Texas||<undisclosed female>||59 years||Pit bull (2)||The victim was killed by her daughter's dogs while house sitting at her daughter's house. Both dogs had food and water available and appeared well-cared for. Animal control authorities seized both dogs.|
|July 18||Toledo, Ohio||Emily Kahl||31 years||Pit bull||Kahl was killed by bite trauma to the neck inflicted by the dog, which was owned by another person who lived in the home. Animal control authorities seized and euthanized the dog.|
|July 28||Miller Township, Perry County, Pennsylvania||Rhoda Marie Wagner||60 years||Pit bull (3)||Wagner was killed and partially eaten by the dogs while she was pet sitting them for her roommate. A passerby called police when they saw her lying in the front yard with the three dogs running loose. Animal control authorities seized the dogs and euthanized them with the owner's consent.|
|August 10||Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York||Ryan Francis Foster||19 months||Rottweiler||The dog killed Foster after his father left him and his two older brothers alone with the dog at his parents' apartment while his parents were out of the country; Foster's brothers were uninjured. His father was charged with manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, and acting in a manner injurious to a child.|
|August 12||Toledo, Ohio||Javon Stokes||26 years||Pit bull||The dog killed Stokes when he suffered a grand mal seizure. The dog was taken by animal control authorities.|
|August 14||Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaii||Dolores Teresa Oskins||85 years||Pack of dogs (2)||The dogs attacked Oskins while she was in her neighborhood looking for her lost dog; she died 22 days after being attacked. Her husband and another family member who went to help her were also attacked, but they were treated and released. Animal control authorities seized two dogs.|
|August 21||Wilkes County, North Carolina||Mildred Catherine Vaughan||89 years||Pit bull,
Pit-bull mix (2)
|The dogs attacked Vaughan when she walked out to her mailbox; she was airlifted to the hospital in critical condition and died of her injuries nine days later. Animal control authorities seized and euthanized the dogs, which were a female and her two offspring, which were not yet adult dogs.|
|September 14||Lebanon, Indiana||Loretta Mae Moore||84 years||Pack of 5 dogs: Pit bull, Husky (2),
|Moore's adult son found her body when he returned home from work. Moore was partially dismembered and an autopsy found she had been killed by dogs; police found blood on the mouths of all the dogs and found a broomstick that was broken to bits and covered in blood. Moore's son owned four of the dogs; the fifth was a pit bull he was fostering on behalf of a pit bull rescue group. Authorities seized all the dogs, but returned them at the owners' request because local laws and ordinances did not allow them to euthanize dogs without the owners' consent if the dogs killed someone on the owners' property.|
|September 22||Phenix City, Alabama||Frank Cobb||70 years||Pit bull||Phenix City police responded to a dog attack at 2 A.M. and found Cobb suffering from wounds. Cobb was taken to the local hospital and then to a regional hospital where doctors tried to re-attach his limbs, but he died of his injuries. The suspected dog was found dead and sent to a lab for testing.|
|September 24||Myrtle Point, Oregon||Amber Dawn Labelle||42 years||Pit bull-American Bulldog mix||The 120-pound dog attacked Labelle when she opened a door to a room in her apartment where the dog had been constrained. Labelle had been watching the dog for a friend, who had closed the dog in the room; the friend was watching the dog for its owner while the owner was out of town. Labelle was flown to a regional hospital where she died of her injuries the next day. Police shot and killed the dog when it lunged at them as they arrived.|
|September 24||Coweta County, Georgia||Alex Binyam Abraha||21 years||Pit bull (2)||Abraha's body was found outside the house of the dogs' owner. An autopsy confirmed he had been killed by a dog attack, and police said there was evidence that Abraha had been an intruder inside the house. The dogs were seized by authorities as part of the investigation.|
|October 3||Akron, Ohio||Ka'Vay Louis-Calderon||16 months||Pit bull (1+)||One or two dogs became agitated and attacked the victim while her uncle was standing at the front door having an argument with a woman. One of the dogs had broken through the front door and attacked a mail carrier four months earlier. Both dogs were seized and euthanized by animal control authorities.|
|October 18||Matthews, Indiana||Kathleen Bertram||69 years||Pit bull||The dog bit down on Bertram's throat after she fell out of a chair while holding her 3-year-old granddaughter. Family members pulled the dog away and called rescue personnel, who found Bertram bleeding from both sides of her neck and administered CPR, but they declared Bertram dead at the scene. The dog was seized by animal control authorities.|
|October 19||Kodak, Tennessee||Bentley Parker||7 months||St. Bernard||The victim's family was visiting his grandmother when their family dog killed him and attacked his grandmother, who was trying to defend him. The dog was killed by law enforcement authorities when it acted aggressively towards rescue personnel responding to the incident.|
|October 20||Creek County, Oklahoma||James McNeelis||7 years||Sheltie-Corgi mix||The victim's body was found in his own back yard, and the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation determined he had been attacked by a dog, which was seized by animal control authorities. The family had taken the dog in three weeks earlier as a stray.|
- Animal attack
- Beware of the dog
- Breed-specific legislation
- Coyote attack
- Dingo attack
- Dogs in the United States
- List of wolf attacks
- Wolf attack
- Maniscalco, Kenneth; Edens, Mary Ann (2019), "Bites, Animal", StatPearls, StatPearls Publishing, PMID 28613602, retrieved April 12, 2019
- Langley, Ricky L. (March 2009). "Human Fatalities Resulting From Dog Attacks in the United States, 1979–2005". Wilderness & Environmental Medicine. 20 (1): 19–25. doi:10.1580/08-WEME-OR-213.1. PMID 19364181.
- Essig Jr, Garth F; Sheehan, Cameron; Rikhie, Shefali; Elmaraghy, Charles A; Christophel, J Jared (February 1, 2019). "Dog bite injuries to the face: Is there risk with breed ownership? A systematic review with meta-analysis". International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 117: 182–188. doi:10.1016/j.ijporl.2018.11.028 – via ScienceDirect.
- "New study identifies most damaging dog bites by breed". American Animal Hospital Association. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- Miller, John (January 15, 2020). "Woman killed in suspected dog attack at Taos Pueblo". The Taos News. Archived from the original on January 20, 2020. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- Miller, John (January 16, 2020). "Dog pack suspected in woman's death at Taos Pueblo". Santa Fe New Mexican. Archived from the original on August 31, 2020.
- "Infant dies after being attacked by family dog in Dayton home". WDTN. January 13, 2020. Archived from the original on May 15, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "KSP Investigating Death; Man bitten by dog at home". Lex18. January 10, 2020. Archived from the original on April 23, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "UPDATE: Victim identified in Suspected Dog Attack". WTVQ 36. January 12, 2020. Archived from the original on January 13, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Dog kills 1-month-old boy inside Lafayette home". Journal&Courier. January 27, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Baby dies after dog attack in Lafayette, Ind". WHAS11. January 27, 2020. Archived from the original on January 28, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Maccabe, Tom (December 15, 2020). "Mother sentenced to one year in dog attack that killed her baby boy". WRTV. Retrieved July 2, 2021.
- "76-year-old man killed by four dogs in Attala Co". WLBT3. February 5, 2020. Archived from the original on August 31, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Salahieh, Nouran (February 11, 2020). "5-Year-Old Boy Killed in Attack by Family Pit Bull in Oro Grande". KTLA5. Archived from the original on March 19, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Man dies after Plainfield dog attack that injured 3 others". ABC7. February 11, 2020. Archived from the original on July 7, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Knott County boy killed by pack of wild dogs". WKYT-TV. August 12, 2020. Archived from the original on August 12, 2020.
- Puckett, Will; James, Connor; Delaney, Sean. "Funeral arrangements announced for 13-year-old boy killed in animal attack". WYMT-TV. Archived from the original on September 22, 2020.
- Baxley, Justin (March 10, 2020). "Couple arrested in deadly Crawford County dog attack involving two pit bulls". macon.com. Archived from the original on March 23, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Webb, Ashlyn (March 10, 2020). "'We all just want justice': Crawford dog owners arrested after man allegedly mauled to death". WMAZ. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Caddo Parish Coroner identifies woman who died after being mauled by pit bulls". Louisiana Radio Network. February 29, 2020. Archived from the original on May 22, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Orstad, Erika (March 7, 2020). "Chipley residents concerned about stray dogs after woman was attacked to death". mypanhandle.com. Archived from the original on March 21, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "2-year-old dies following Portsmouth dog bite". WTKR. March 11, 2020. Archived from the original on July 17, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Audio snips from Portsmouth, Virginia Police and Fire (3 calls, 1:32 minutes long). March 9, 2020.
- Acker, Lizzy (June 15, 2020). "Portland man attacked and killed by his dog, which had a history of aggressive behavior". oregonlive. Archived from the original on July 9, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Ramirez Jr, Domingo (April 14, 2020). "Dog euthanized after mauling, killing Fort Worth woman in her home". Archived from the original on August 31, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Vinson, Joshua; Jones, Luke (August 12, 2020). "Three people indicted after dogs maul woman to death in North Memphis". WREG-TV. Archived from the original on September 22, 2020.
- "Wild dogs suspected of killing doctor in Lyons, Ga". wtoc.com. May 7, 2020. Archived from the original on June 1, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Hilt, Kathy (May 12, 2020). "Dogs Captured; Suspected of Lyons Death". southeastgeorgiatoday.com. Archived from the original on July 17, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Giuliani-Hoffman, Francesca. "A woman was attacked and killed by her French bulldog mix". CNN. Archived from the original on May 25, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Dog who viciously attacked, killed its owner in her Fox Lake home will likely be euthanized". May 14, 2020. Archived from the original on August 31, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Hicks, Marisa (June 26, 2020). "Family files suit following fatal dog attack". Log Cabin Democrat. Archived from the original on July 17, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- "Murray County coroner: 11-year-old girl died from injuries consistent with dog bites". WCYB. June 2, 2020. Archived from the original on June 18, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- Goldeen, Joe (June 11, 2020). "Boy, 2, fatally mauled by pit bull during visit to Weston Ranch". The Record. Stockton, CA. Archived from the original on October 4, 2020. Retrieved October 3, 2020.
- Sun-Times Wire (June 5, 2020). "Woman mauled to death by dogs in Country Club Hills". Chicago Sun-Times. Archived from the original on June 19, 2020.
- Groten, Perry (June 12, 2020). "Investigators: Death of Hartford baby from dog bites 'a very sad situation'". keloland.com. Archived from the original on June 16, 2020.
- Pagones, Sara. "Mandeville area woman killed by pit bulls had been bitten by the dogs before, daughter says". NOLA.com. Archived from the original on July 3, 2020. Retrieved July 18, 2020.
- KLTV Digital Media Staff (June 29, 2020). "Dog attack kills infant in Hunt County". kltv.com. Archived from the original on July 18, 2020.
- WLKY Digital Team (July 1, 2020). "Jeffersonville PD: Man dies after being attacked by dog". WLKY. Archived from the original on September 22, 2020.
- Rickert, Aprile (July 2, 2020). "Victim of fatal dog attack identified". News and Tribune. Archived from the original on August 30, 2020.
- Ferak, John (July 6, 2020). "Toddler Dies In Joliet After Pit Bull Attack, Dog Confiscated". Patch News. Archived from the original on August 18, 2020.
- Reynolds, Mark (July 17, 2020). "15-month-old girl dies after attack by dog in East Providence". The Providence Journal. Archived from the original on July 19, 2020.
- NBC 10 NEWS (July 17, 2020). "Girl, 1, dies in East Providence dog attack". WJAR. Archived from the original on July 20, 2020.
- "Police say no charges in pit bull attack that killed baby". Akron Beacon Journal. August 10, 2020. Archived from the original on September 23, 2020.
- Cole, Ashley; Townsend, Robert (August 26, 2020). "Man dies after being attacked by 2 pit bulls, police say". KSDK.
- Muslic, Hana (August 26, 2020). "Pitbull attack results in death of man in unincorporated Belleville". Belleville News-Democrat. Archived from the original on August 30, 2020.
- Forney, Terrell (September 3, 2020). "Dog put down after attacking Margate man and his elderly mother". WPLG. Archived from the original on September 19, 2020.
- Kelley, Eileen; Boryga, Andrew (August 31, 2020). "Family adopted rescue dog two weeks ago, and then it mauled its owner to death". Sun-Sentinel. Archived from the original on September 4, 2020.
- "Woman killed, two daughters injured by pit bulls". McCurtain Gazette. 113 (190). Idabel, OK: McCurtain County News Inc. September 15, 2020. p. 1 – via https://blog.dogsbite.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/mccurtain-county-gazette-09-15-2020.jpg.
- Ablon, Matthew (October 2, 2020). "Man charged after deputies say his dogs mauled Gray Court woman to death". Fox Carolina. Archived from the original on October 3, 2020. Retrieved October 2, 2020.
- Sullivan, Jeffery (October 3, 2020). "Arrest Made in Dog Mauling Death of a Woman". WLBG. Archived from the original on October 3, 2020. Retrieved October 3, 2020.
- Clayton, John (October 7, 2020). "Arrest made in fatal dog attack". Laurens County Advertiser. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- Riordan, Kaitlin (October 8, 2020). "Man killed, woman injured after their dog attacked them in Moses Lake". KREM. Archived from the original on October 9, 2020.
- Cole, William (October 15, 2020). "Infant dies after being attacked by dog in Schofield Barracks home". Honolulu Star Advertiser. Archived from the original on October 21, 2020. Retrieved October 21, 2020.
- "Dog fatally mauls infant at Schofield Barracks". KHNL. October 16, 2020. Archived from the original on October 21, 2020. Retrieved October 21, 2020.
- Bremner, Jade (October 20, 2020). "Alabama Woman Mauled to Death by Pack of Dogs". Newsweek. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- Donley, Andrew; Bailey, Muriel (October 19, 2020). "Mother of 4 killed by pack of dogs in Walker County". ABC 33/40. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- Lock, Samantha (October 23, 2020). "Oklahoma man mauled by dogs dies after attack at Tulsa home". Newsweek. Retrieved October 27, 2020.
- Schlotthauer, Kelsey (November 11, 2020). "Warrant issued for man accused of siccing dogs on October homicide victim". Tulsa World. Retrieved December 1, 2020.
- "Man In Connection To Deadly Dog Attack To Appear In Court". KWTV-DT. December 4, 2020. Retrieved December 6, 2020.
- Child, David (October 26, 2020). "Baby mauled to death by parent's pet German Shepherd". Newsweek. Retrieved October 27, 2020.
- Price, Mark (October 26, 2020). "Family's dog turns 'vicious' and kills infant as parents slept, Virginia police say". Retrieved April 14, 2021.
- Burlew, Jeff (December 2, 2020). "'A nightmare': Jackson County man killed in dog attack was a 'beloved grandfather'". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved December 4, 2020.
- "Photos released of dog pack believed to have killed Bascom man". WJHG-TV. November 23, 2020. Retrieved December 1, 2020.
- Service |, Forum News (December 11, 2020). "Northwestern Minnesota boy found dead, apparently attacked by family dog". Twin Cities. Retrieved December 13, 2020.
- "14-year-old boy killed Thursday by dog at Otter Tail County breeder identified". Detroit Lakes Tribune. December 14, 2020. Retrieved December 15, 2020.
- Fabbre, Alicia (December 18, 2020). "Dog fatally attacks man visiting friends in Joliet". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved December 23, 2020.
- Etters, Karl (January 7, 2021). "Tallahassee woman killed in pit bull attack". Tallahassee Democrat. Retrieved January 8, 2021.
- Pelisek, Christin (January 26, 2021). "S.C. Boy, 6, Killed in Dog Attack Was 'Highly Intelligent, Funny and Always Full of Life'". People. Retrieved January 8, 2021.
- King, Lorraine (January 27, 2021). "Schoolboy, 6, mauled to death by abandoned pit bull mum was trying to rehome". Daily Mirror. Retrieved January 28, 2021.
- Carmona, Lorena (February 12, 2021). "Baby dies following attack by family dog". KSNB-TV. Retrieved February 14, 2021.
- Bauman, Anna (March 4, 2021). "Montgomery County family mourns loss of mother, wife lost to dog attack". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved March 6, 2021.
- "3-year-old boy attacked and killed by his neighbor's dogs in New Jersey". WABC-TV. March 17, 2021.
- Sanchez, Hazel (March 18, 2021). "Relatives Of 3-Year-Old Boy Mauled To Death By Dogs Say Family Previously Told Owners 'The Dog Is Wild'". WLNY-TV. Retrieved March 18, 2021.
- Elder, Jordan (March 23, 2021). "Dog kills toddler after she got too close to food bowl". WICS. Retrieved March 23, 2021.
- Morgan-Rumsey, Camruinn (July 20, 2021). ""Use caution" traveling near scene of deadly animal attacks, Cocke County Sheriff's Office warns". WVLT-TV. Retrieved July 22, 2021.
- Bajpai, Avi (April 29, 2021). "Judge's ruling decides fate of dogs that killed a 7-year-old girl in Garner". The News & Observer. Raleigh, North Carolina. Retrieved September 13, 2021.
- Lamb, Amanda (September 13, 2021). "Dogs that killed Garner 7-year-old put down". WRAL-TV. Retrieved October 19, 2021.
- Clarridge, Emerson (April 30, 2021). "Family dog mauls little girl to death in a south Fort Worth backyard, authorities say". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- Howland, Jack (May 1, 2021). "Mixed-breed dog that fatally mauled girl in Fort Worth has been euthanized, city says". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- Deaville, Patrick (May 7, 2021). "UPDATE: Dogs severely injure Sulphur man visiting family". KPLC. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Moreau, Jade (May 11, 2021). "Family remembers Sulphur man killed by dogs". KPLC. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Smith, Mike (May 26, 2021). "Two dogs attack, kill 4-year-old boy near Whitehall". Montana Standard. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- Emeigh, John (May 27, 2021). "Boy dies in Whitehall after being attacked by dogs". KRTV. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
- Collins, Dave (May 11, 2021). "Fire sparks police search for father of baby killed by dog". Associated Press. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Penney, John (May 11, 2019). "Father of baby killed in Norwich dog attack also person of interest in New London fire". Norwich Bulletin. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Dempsey, Christine (May 18, 2021). "Pit bull that killed Norwich baby will be put down; police found no reason for deadly attack". Hartford Courant. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Steele, Sammi (May 11, 2021). "Big Spring man dies after dog attack". KWES-TV. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- "Big Spring Police release preliminary autopsy results following dog attack last week". KMID (TV). May 18, 2021. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Tooke, Robin (May 12, 2021). "Homeowner recounts 911 call after Big Spring dog mauling kills man". KMID (TV). Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Yurth, Cindy (May 18, 2021). "Girl possibly killed by dogs in Fort Defiance". Navajo Times. Retrieved May 29, 2021.
- Fonseca, Felicia (July 14, 2021). "Autopsy: Teenage girl died from dog attack on Navajo Nation". Associated Press. Retrieved August 14, 2021.
- Reisen, Matthew (June 3, 2021). "Man fatally mauled by pack of dogs in Veguita". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved June 5, 2021.
- Cook, Cathy (June 2, 2021). "Man killed by dogs in Socorro County". El Defensor Chieftain.
- Pardo, Annalisa (June 7, 2021). "NM man fatally attacked by dogs, owner facing charges". KRQE. Retrieved June 9, 2021.
- "10-month-old baby dies after being attacked by 2 family dogs in Johnston County". WTVD. May 27, 2021. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- "A tragic accident': Infant killed by family dogs in Johnston County". WNCN. May 26, 2021. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- Tarrazi, Alexis (June 11, 2021). "City To Euthanize Dogs Who Attacked, Killed Toddler In Elizabeth". Patch. Retrieved June 16, 2021.
- Brown, Tonya (June 14, 2021). "'Just let him live:' Father details moments son was mauled, killed by dogs in Marion Co". WPDE-TV. Retrieved June 19, 2021.
- "Funeral arrangements announced for 7-year-old mauled to death by dogs in Marion County". WMBF-TV. June 17, 2021. Retrieved June 19, 2021.
- Accettulla, Kevin (June 29, 2021). "Man charged after 7-year-old mauled to death by dogs". WSAV-TV. Retrieved July 2, 2021.
- Sokmensuer, Harriet (June 23, 2021). "Oklahoma Mom Mauled to Death in Dog Attack While Housesitting for Friend". People. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved June 25, 2021.
- "Medical examiner releases preliminary report on woman killed by dogs". KTUL. June 25, 2021. Retrieved June 25, 2021.
- "Phoenix dog owner faces homicide charge after deadly mauling: dogs put down". KPHO-TV, KTVK. July 8, 2021. Retrieved July 9, 2021.
- Sikes, David (July 19, 2021). ""She was bit to death," says friend of Cocke County dog attack victim". WVLT-TV. Retrieved July 22, 2021.
- Borunda, Daniel (July 19, 2021). "Pit bulls attack, kill 59-year-old woman in West El Paso home". El Paso Times. Retrieved July 22, 2021.
- Mester, Alexandra; Besche, John (July 22, 2021). "Woman dies of dog bite to neck, says Lucas County Coroner". Toledo Blade. Retrieved July 27, 2021.
- Pikora, Jillian (August 5, 2021). "Woman Eaten To Death By Roommate's 3 Dogs, Pennsylvania State Police Say". The Daily Voice. Retrieved August 7, 2021.
- Duddridge, Natalie (August 12, 2021). "Father Charged After 19-Month-Old Ryan Foster Mauled To Death By Family Dog". WLNY-TV. Retrieved August 14, 2021.
- Mester, Alexandra (August 13, 2021). "Man killed in East Toledo when bit by dog during seizure". Toledo Blade. Retrieved August 14, 2021.
- Burnett, John; Brestovansky, Michael (September 8, 2021). "Lawmakers observe a moment's silence for victim of fatal dog attack". Hawaii Tribune Herald. Retrieved September 12, 2021.
- Hubbard, Julie (September 9, 2021). "Dog bite victim dies in hospital". Wilkes Journal-Patriot. Retrieved September 13, 2021.
- Flora, Maria (October 8, 2021). "Killer dogs will probably escape euthanasia". The Lebanon Reporter. Retrieved October 16, 2021.
- Flora, Maria (October 15, 2021). "Killer dogs return home after dismembering woman". The Lebanon Reporter. Retrieved October 16, 2021.
- Gibson, Jessie (September 22, 2021). "Phenix City man dies after dog attack". WTVM. Retrieved September 26, 2021.
- Beach, Kenzie (September 22, 2021). "Phenix City man dead after being mauled by a dog". WRBL. Retrieved September 26, 2021.
- Forrest, Jack (September 30, 2021). "Dog attacks, kills woman in Myrtle Point". The Oregonian. Retrieved October 1, 2021.
- Evans, Doug (September 29, 2021). "Dogs maul intruder found dead by Coweta homeowner, investigators say". WAGA-TV. Retrieved October 1, 2021.
- Livingston, Doug (October 4, 2021). "Police: 16-month-old killed by pit bull while couple argued in Akron". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved October 12, 2021.
- Marotta, Eric (October 7, 2021). "One of two dogs suspected in Akron toddler's death had bitten letter carrier in June". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved October 12, 2021.
- Shelley, Jonathan (October 19, 2021). "CORONER: Grant County woman killed in dog attack". WPTA. Retrieved October 22, 2021.
- "Pit bull quarantined after fatally mauling woman in Grant County home". WANE-TV. October 19, 2021. Retrieved October 22, 2021.
- Ducre, Gwendolyn (October 19, 2021). "Heartbroken mother warns against aggressive dogs after losing infant to attack". WVLT-TV. Retrieved October 20, 2021.
- Ledbetter, Reagan (October 21, 2021). "'Unfathomable': Creek Co. 7-Year-Old Found Dead Was Attacked By Family Dog, Deputies Say". KWTV-DT. Retrieved October 22, 2021.
- Quezada, Jeanette (October 21, 2021). "https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/missing-child-found-dead-in-creek-county". KJRH-TV. Retrieved October 22, 2021. External link in