Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 (Japanese: シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版𝄇, Hepburn: Shin Evangerion Gekijōban) is an upcoming Japanese animated science fiction film directed by Hideaki Anno and produced by Studio Khara. It is the fourth and final film in the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy, based on the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. Originally expected for release in 2015, the film was indefinitely delayed due to Anno's involvement with the 2016 film Shin Godzilla. Production resumed after the production of Shin Godzilla ended in late 2016. The film is scheduled for release on June 27, 2020.
Japanese teaser poster
|Hepburn||Shin Evangerion Gekijōban𝄇|
|Produced by||Hideaki Anno|
|Screenplay by||Hideaki Anno|
|Based on||Neon Genesis Evangelion|
by Hideaki Anno
|Music by||Shirō Sagisu|
The film was announced alongside Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo as the final part of the Rebuild tetralogy under the working title Evangelion: Final. Following the troubled production of the third film, director and producer Hideaki Anno succumbed to depression and stated publicly in 2015 that he could not work on another film. However, Toho (which will co-distribute the film in Japan with Toei) approached him in an offer to direct a reboot of its well-known Godzilla film series titled Shin Godzilla, which Anno blamed for delaying him on working on 3.0+1.0 despite its critical success. After a formal apology, animation director Takeshi Honda stated that the last film has resumed development and is currently under work. The studio tweeted on 5 April 2017, that the film's development is going smoothly.
In May 2018, the studio put out a job listing for animation staff to work on 3DCG, VFX, and 2D animation starting on 30 June 2018.
In June 2019, Khara announced they would screen the first ten minutes of the film in Paris on 6 July 2019.
- "Magazine: Final Evangelion Film Slated for Fall-Winter 2015 With Utada Song". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 4 April 2015. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "『シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版』及びゴジラ新作映画に関する庵野秀明のコメント" (in Japanese). Evangelion's Official site. 4 April 2015. Archived from the original on 5 September 2015. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Hideaki Anno Apologizes for Delay on Final Evangelion Film". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 29 September 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Evangelion Studio Khara Confirms Next Shin Evangelion Is in Production". Anime News Network. 5 April 2017. Archived from the original on 5 April 2017. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Rafael Antonio Pineda (20 July 2018). "Next Shin Evangelion Film's Teaser Reveals 2020 Opening Date". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Rafael Antonio Pineda (18 July 2019). "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Film Opens in Japan in June 2020". Anime News Network. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- Crystalyn Hodgkins (26 December 2019). "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Anime Film Opens in Japan on June 27". Anime News Network. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "Evangelion creator Hideaki Anno opens up about his latest bout with depression, movie delays". Rocketnews. 2 April 2015. Archived from the original on 29 June 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Hideaki Anno Blames Work On "Shin Godzilla" for "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0" Delay". Crunchyroll. 29 September 2016. Archived from the original on 6 June 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Evangelion Animator: Final Evangelion Remake Film is in Progress". Anime News Network. 17 November 2016. Archived from the original on 4 July 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Twitter". Twitter. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- Dennison, Kara (24 May 2018). "Studio Khara Puts out Call for "Eva" Animators". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "The First 10 Mins of the Final 'Rebuild of Evangelion' Film Will Screen at Anime Expo & Japan Expo". HYPEBEAST. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
|This anime film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|