Doutzen Kroes (West Frisian pronunciation: [ˈdʌu̯tsə(ŋ) ˈkrus]; born 23 January 1985) is a Dutch model, actress, activist and philanthropist. She began her modelling career in 2003, in the Netherlands and was quickly sent by her agency to New York where she was cast by lingerie brand Victoria’s Secret. She was a Victoria's Secret Angel from 2008 until 2014. She has been a brand ambassador for L'Oréal Paris since 2006. Kroes has been one of highest-paid models, with an estimated income of more than $5 million per year, since 2008. In 2014, she came in second on the Forbes top-earning models list, estimated to have earned $8 million in one year. As of December 2015, she was ranked as one of the "New Supers" in the fashion industry and dubbed "Helen of Troy of advertising" by Models.com.
Doutzen Kroes at the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
Sunnery James Gorré (m. 2010)
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
Her film debut was in Nova Zembla (2011). She is one of the active members to contribute to Dance4Life, a Dutch non-profit organization that uses song and dance to educate youth about HIV and AIDS prevention. She is also one of the supporters of Wildlife Conservation and World Wildlife Fund.
Doutzen Kroes was born on 23 January 1985, in the village of Eastermar (Dutch: Oostermeer). Her mother, Geartsje Leistra, was a nurse, then a teacher, and her father, Johan Kroes, was a psychotherapist. In the 1970s, they were both champion speed skaters. As a young girl, Kroes aspired to be a professional speed skater.
Kroes has a younger sister, Rens, who is a nutritionist.
In 2005, Kroes won "Model of The Year" on Vogue.com by readers. She was presented on the May 2007 cover of Vogue as one of the "World's Next Top Models" along with Chanel Iman among others. Along with several of these models, she appeared in the 2008 Pirelli Calendar.
In 2006, a Frisian documentary directed by J.J.M. Jansen about a week in Kroes' life as a model was released. It documented Kroes at Milan Fashion Week and her thinking about the modeling industry. In July 2007, earning at an estimated total of $1.5 million in the previous twelve months, Forbes named Kroes fourteenth in the list of the world's 15 Top-Earning Supermodels. In April 2008, she was in fifth position, with an estimated income of $6 million. Forbes named Kroes fifth again in 2009 ($6 million), 2010 ($6 million) and 2012 ($6.9 million). Kroes escalated to the second position of the ranking in 2014, having earned $8 million the year before.
At the end of August 2008, Victoria's Secret confirmed to People magazine that Kroes was to be the newest Victoria's Secret Angel. Her first campaign as the brand's newest Angel was "Supermodel Obsessions".
There is a wax figure of Kroes in the Amsterdam branch of Madame Tussaud's wax museum. From November 2009 to July 2010, Kroes wrote a monthly column about her life for the Dutch edition of Marie Claire.
In February 2010, Kroes returned to the catwalk during fashion week for Prada with fellow Angels Alessandra Ambrosio and Miranda Kerr. Prada was praised by former editor-in-chief of Glamour, Cosmopolitan and Marie Claire magazines, Bonnie Fuller in her blog for using a curvy model such as Kroes for the fashion show.
In 2014, Kroes appeared in the new Calvin Klein Reveal Fragrance commercial alongside Charlie Hunnam, as well as continuing her long-standing contracts. She also announced that she was ending her contract with Victoria's Secret after seven years of being with the brand; she walked in the 2005–2009 (excluding 2007), and 2011–2014 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows. Kroes is considered one of the "New Supers" by Models.com.
In 2016, Kroes was announced as the spokesmodel for Dutch lingerie retailer Hunkemöller. Kroes released her own collection line 'Doutzen's Stories' and has starred in several campaigns for the Hunkemöller brand to date.
On 24 November 2011, Kroes debuted in Nova Zembla, the first Dutch 3D film made. Kroes has been taking acting classes in New York City for several years and has stated in interviews that she plans to act in more movies to come. In 2017, she appeared in the superhero film Wonder Woman, as an Amazon warrior.
Kroes is actively involved with the non-profit organization Dance4Life, which uses song and dance to educate youth about HIV and AIDS prevention. She is also an ambassador for "Praat mar Frysk" ("Just speak Frisian") campaign which aims to promote the Frisian language, which is spoken in Kroes' native Friesland.
In 2009, Kroes started dating Dutch DJ Sunnery James Gorré.. On 7 November 2010, she and Sunnery married in Eastermar. The couple have two children: son Phyllon Joy Gorré (born January 2011) and daughter Myllena Mae Gorré (born July 2014). Both children were born in Amsterdam, Netherlands. In an April 2014 interview on the future of her daughter, Kroes said: "Instead of saying, 'You're so beautiful', I'll say, 'You're smart', so she'll have different aspirations in life than beauty and modeling. Though I love my job, I'm not changing the world. I'd love for her to study and to have different aspirations. We need to teach girls they can become presidents, and it's not about beauty all the time."
|2011||Nova Zembla||Catharina Plancius|
|2015||J'marche pas en arrière||Woman||Short film|
|2005||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
|2006||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
|2008||Valentino: The Last Emperor||Herself - Model||Documentary|
|2008||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
|2009||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
|2009–2011||RTL Boulevard||Herself/Co-Host||TV Series (4 episodes)|
|2011||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
|2012||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
|2013||Men Expert L'Oreal||Herself||Short Film|
|2013||RTL Late Night||Herself||TV Series (Episode: #1.84)|
|2014||The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show||Herself - Model||TV Special|
- "Doutzen Kroes - Model". models.com.
- De Klerk, Amy (30 November 2016). "Why didn't Doutzen Kroes walk in the Victoria's Secret show?". Harper's Bazaar.
- "Doutzen Kroes Model Profile". New York Magazine. Archived from the original on 1 January 2016.
- Robehmed, Natalie (18 August 2014). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "MODELS.com's New Supers". Models.com. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
Victoria's Secret, L'Oreal, Miu Miu and every human with a pair of eyes and a pulse can't be wrong; Doutzen is the face of a generation. The meteoric rise of Ms. Kroes can be summed up in one word - destiny.
- "MODELS.com's The Money Girls". MODELS.com. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
Will the massive money jobs ever stop for the Dutch wonder called Doutzen? L'Oreal as far as the eye can see booked alongside that long running Victoria's Secret contract. She's like the Helen Of Troy of advertising.
- Kruspe, Dana (27 August 2013). "Doutzen Kroes Lands an Unprecedented Four September Vogue Covers". Fashionista.com. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "Supermodel Doutzen Kroes's Angelic Face". Wall Street Journal. 4 February 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Strehlke, Sade (4 February 2015). "Q&A With Supermodel Doutzen Kroes". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
I wanted to become a teacher like my mother, or a charity worker.
- "Doutzen Kroes Is Never Out of Style". Vogue. 14 April 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "The Supermodel on a Mission". Bloomberg. 16 November 2016.
- "Doutzen Kroes - story of a 2000s supermodel". Vogue Italia. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Photos: The Gang's All Here: 7 Iconic Group Model Vogue Covers". Vogue.com.
- "Pirelli Never Tires". Vanity Fair. 21 November 2013.
- Official website.. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Blakeley, Kiri (16 July 2007). "The World's Top-Earning Models". forbes.com. Retrieved 8 February 2008.
- Blakeley, Kiri (30 April 2008). "The World's Top-Earning Models". forbes.com. Retrieved 1 May 2008.
- Streib, Lauren (27 May 2009). "In Pictures: The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes.
- Bertoni, Steven; Blankfeld, Keren (13 May 2010). "Slide Show: The World's 10 Top-Earning Models". Forbes.com.
- Solomon, Brian (14 June 2012). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Doutzen docht mei, do ek?" (in Frisian). www.praatmarfrysk.nl. Archived from the original on 17 December 2007. Retrieved 8 February 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Victoria's Secret's Newest Angel Revealed: Doutzen Kroes". Off the Rack. People. 26 August 2008. Archived from the original on 1 September 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Victoria's Secret's Newest Angel Revealed: Doutzen Kroes". People. 26 August 2008.
- "Doutzen Kroes's wax figure at Madame Tussauds Amsterdam". Madame Tussaud's Amsterdam. Retrieved 4 April 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Doutzen Kroes schrijft in Marie Claire", Algemeen Dagblad, 14 October 2009
- Bonnie Fuller (25 February 2010). "Hooray! Skinny Models Booted out of Top Fashion Show and Replace by Victoria's Secret Angels!". Hollywood Life. Archived from the original on 5 April 2010. Retrieved 4 April 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Lidbury, Olivia (29 August 2013). "Doutzen Kroes scores four September Vogue covers". Fashion.telegraph.co.uk. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 4 December 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Charlie Hunnam and Doutzen Kroes Strip Down for Calvin Klein's Latest Fragrance Ad". InStyle. 14 July 2014.
- "MODELS.com's New Supers". MODELS.com. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- Dier, Mellissa. "Doutzen Kroes Named Hunkemöller Brand Ambassador". wwd.com. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Dutch Supermodel Doutzen Kroes Cast In Wonder Woman Movie". Comicbook.com. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Kugel, Allison (16 February 2012). "Victoria's Secret Angel Doutzen Kroes Talks Getting Gorgeous & Giving Back with Dance4Life". PR.com.
- The Frisians in the Netherlands. language-diversity.eu.
- "STYLE INSPIRATION: COLLECTION FOR DOUTZEN". WE Fashion. 10 September 2015. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "Doutzen Kroes weer gelukkig". De Telegraaf. 30 August 2009.
- Carter, Dan Roy (29 September 2013). "25 years of dance music in the Netherlands: Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano". Dancing Astronaut. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "Doutzen Kroes in geheim getrouwd". De Telegraaf. 7 November 2010.
- Michaud, Sarah (21 January 2011). "Doutzen Kroes Welcomes Son Phyllon Joy". Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 29 January 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Milligan, Lauren (30 July 2014). "Doutzen Welcomes Her Baby Girl". Vogue UK.
- Klein, Alyssa Vingan (28 April 2014). "Doutzen Kroes Doesn't Want Her Daughter to Become a Model". Fashionista.com. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Kilcooley-O'Halloran, Scarlett (28 April 2014). "Doutzen Wants Daughter To Be Different". Vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Coggan, Devan (30 May 2017). "Wonder Woman: How real-life athletes united to populate the film's badass Amazon nation". Entertainment Weekly.