Dictator (2016 film)
Dictator is a 2016 Telugu action film, jointly produced by Eros International & Sriwass under Vedhaaswa Creations banner and directed by Sriwass. The film stars Nandamuri Balakrishna, Anjali, Sonal Chauhan, Vikramjeet Virk in the lead roles and music is composed by S. Thaman.
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Kishore Lulla|
|Written by||M. Ratnam (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Kona Venkat|
|Story by||Kona Venkat|
Sreedhar Seepana (scenario)
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Cinematography||Shyam K. Naidu|
|Edited by||Gowtham Raju|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
It is the 99th movie in the career of Nandamuri Balakrishna. The film's script was written by Sridhar Seepana, Gopimohan and Kona Venkat while the dialogues were written by M. Ratnam. The movie had released on January 14, 2016 as Sankranthi Release. The movie is released also in Tamil and Malayalam as dubbed version simultaneously. Later the movie was dubbed into Hindi as Yudh: Ek Jung by Cinekorn Movies in 2016.
The film begins on Chandu (Nandamuri Balakrishna) an employee at Dharma Mart as a special in charge and lives along with his wife Katyayani’s (Anjali) family at Hyderabad. Everyone assumes that Katyayani is working in Delhi. Once, an aspiring actress Indu (Sonal Chauhan) befriends him as she is in quandary from a few gangsters who are hunting her brother (Rajeev Kanakala). One fine day, she is kidnapped when Chandu locks horns with them and gets indirect enmity with Minister Goverdhan Rao (Madhu) and a corrupt Police officer Prabhakar (Ajay) but he ceases them. Parallelly, Babji (Kasi Viswanath) one of the co-employee of Chandu, steals some money for his daughter’s marriage when Chandu indicts on himself and arrested. Right now, the attention of company Chairman Rajashekar Dharma (Suman) thrusts on him when his father-in-law Lakshmi Narayana (Nassar) seeks for the truth. Here, as a flabbergast, the true identity of Chandu is revealed as Chandrashekar Dharma The Dictator, Chairman of the Dharma group of companies. Now the flashback, Chandrasekhar Dharma is one of the big shots in India, who fights against the mafia and aegis businessmen in Delhi as a Dictator. Once he gets acquainted with Katyayani, one of the employees in his company and they fall in love. Since Lakshmi Narayana is against rich men she introduces him as her co-employee and they get married. After some time, Chandrasekhar battles with a tyrant woman Mahima Roy (Rati Agnihotri) for slaughtering Chandrasekhar's fatherly figure Hari Prasad (Kulbhushan Kharbanda), by her malicious son-in-law Viswambhar (Nawab Shah). Right now, Mahima Roy kidnaps the family members of Chandrasekhar and demands hin to fall at her feet. At that juncture, Mahima Roy receives frequent calls from her relatives from the entire world, affirming that Chandrashekar has kidnapped all of them, proving his network. Later Chandrasekhar eliminates Viswambhar, knowing it, Mahima Roy attacks on Chandrasekhar in which Katyayani gets stabbed when on her requests, Chandrasekhar leaves Delhi and changes his identity. At present, Chandrasekhar Dharma learns that Viswambhar is still alive because of the betrayal of his men so he lands back at Delhi. One of the family members of Chandrasekhar Sivaram (Sayaji Shinde) backstabs and informs Viswambhar that Chandrasekhar is going to conduct necessary rites for the dead Hari Prasad. Being cognizant of it, Viswambhar decides to knock out him and arrives at the spot when Sivaram takes the side of Chandrasekhar claiming it as a trap to bring Viswambhar out. At last, Chandrasekhar slays Viswambhar and behests Mahima Roy to leave the country. Finally, Chandrasekhar returns as Chandrasekhar Dharma, The Dictator.
- Nandamuri Balakrishna as Chandrashekhar Dharma
- Anjali as Kathyayani
- Sonal Chauhan as Indu
- Vikramjeet Virk as Vicky Bhai
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Hari Prasad
- Rati Agnihotri as Mahima Rai
- Aksha Pardasany as Shruti
- Nassar as Lakshmi Narayana
- Suman as Raja Shekar Dharma
- Nawab Shah as Viswambhar
- Kabir Duhan Singh as Pandu Bhai
- Sayaji Shinde as Bokha Sivaram
- Chalapathi Rao as I.G.
- Vennela Kishore as Kathyayani's brother
- Raghu Babu as Vasthu Bheeshmacharya
- Prudhviraj as Ramesh Patro
- Posani Krishna Murali as Chandrashekhar Dharma's P.A.
- Ajay as Inspector Prabhakar
- Ravi Prakash as Inspector Rasool
- Ravi Babu as Director
- Vamsi Krishna as Minister's son
- Rajiv Kanakala as Waiter
- G. V. Sudhakar Naidu as Goon
- Prabhas Sreenu as Prabha
- Ashok Kumar as Lakshmi Narayana's brother
- Gundu Sudarshan
- Ravi Varma as Shruthi's husband
- Satya Prakash as Saxena
- Banerjee as Mahima Rai's P.A.
- Y. Kasi Viswanath as Babji
- Giridhar as Kathyayani's brother
- Ping Pong Surya as Babji's son
- Madhu as Minister Goverdhan Rao
- Deekshithulu as Rasool's
- Ambati Srinivas as Minister's son P.A.
- Lab Sarath as Doctor
- Duvvasi Mohan as Prasad
- Junior Relangi as Kishanji
- Pavitra Lokesh as Raja Shekar's wife
- Hema as Hema Patnaik
- Shraddha Das as item number "Tingo Tingo"
- Mumaith Khan as item number "Tingo Tingo"
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||20 December 2015|
|S. Thaman chronology|
Music composed by S. Thaman. Music released on EROS Music Company. The music of the film was launched on December 20, 2015 at Amaravati, the new Capital city of Andhra Pradesh. This movie was the first to release its audio at Amaravati. As this movie is 99th film in Balakrishna's career, the association of 'Balayya Helping Hands' organised a rally from KBR Park, Hyderabad to Audio Launch Venue at Amaravati with 99 cars with the permission of Government of Andhra Pradesh. First Audio CD copy was released by Rayapati Sambasiva Rao and presented it to Balakrishna. Anjali, Andhra Pradesh's Agriculture Minister Prathipati Pulla Rao, Ravela Kishore Babu, Sonal Chouhan, Korrapati Ranganatha Sai, Anil Sunkara, Ram Achanta, Ramajogayya Sastry, Shyam K. Naidu, Brahma Kadali, Ambika krishna, Sreedhar Seepana, Kona Venkat, Gopi Mohan, Raghu Babu and others were present at this event.
|1.||"Gam Gam Ganesha"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Divya Kumar, Deepak, Sai Charan, Nivas||04:28|
|2.||"Whats Up Baby"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Naveen, Malavika||04:38|
|3.||"Chura Chura"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Sanjana, Sri Krishna||03:56|
|4.||"Tingo Tingo"||Varikuppala Yadagiri||Kousalya, Geetha Madhuri, Simha||04:37|
|5.||"Dictator"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Sathyan, Solar Sai, Sai Sharan, Naveen, Sri Krishna||03:10|
|6.||"Gana Gana"||Bhaskarabhatla Ravi Kumar||Sameera Bharadwaj, Deepak, Simha||04:20|
Indiaglitz in its review states that "Dictator is an album that is for the mass and class audiences alike. Chura Chura.. stands out and is sure to be on the chartbusters. Gana Gana works lyrically."
Production of this action drama film began at Ramanaidu Studios in Hyderabad on 29 May 2015. Telugu actress Anjali and Balakrishna will star in this film, to be produced and directed by Sriwass (Loukyam fame). In early July 2015, actress Sonal Chauhan was signed as one of the female lead in the film. This movie is the first Telugu film produced by Eros International Media Limited. Regular shooting for this film commenced on 20 July 2015. The lead actor Nandamuri Balakrishna lost 12 Kilograms of weight for the role in this movie. A wonderful set was built in Ramanaidu Studios, Hyderabad for this movie. First schedule of the movie with few action sequences was shot in this set for 25 days. Introduction song written by Ramajogayya Sastry titled Gam Gam Gam Ganesha... Gouri Tanaya Sarvesha... with theme on Lord Ganesha was shot in a big set designed by Brahma Kadali at Chithrapuri Colony, Hyderabad with 99 dancers and more than 2000 junior artists under the choreographer Prem Rakshith.
On 24 August 2015, Eros International Media Ltd released a press note saying that the movie had completed its first schedule in Hyderabad. Second schedule of this movie was planned in Europe where some talkie part, few fights and songs was shot. In the end of August 2015, the movie unit started shooting in Bulgaria at exotic locations. The movie unit completed another schedule at Delhi on December 2, 2015; and the final schedule with heavy mass, fight sequences in the second week of December at Hyderabad. On 18 December 2015, the film director Sriwass announced that shooting part was complete except for one song. The last song Tingo Tingo under choreography of Prem Rakshith, was shot at Hyderabad completing the shooting part of the film. Shraddha Das  and the popular Item song dancer Mumaith Khan paired up with Balakrishna in this song.
Dictator released worldwide on 14 January 2016 on the eve of Sankranthi festival alongside Sharwanand's Express Raja. The film released in around 900 screens across the globe including 625 across Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
Dictator collected ₹ 10 crore gross at the worldwide box office on its first day, and fetched its distributors ₹ 7.5 crore. It has beaten the record of Lion and become the second-biggest opener for Balakrishna after Legend. It has collected ₹18 crore gross at the AP/Telangana box office in its four-day-extended first weekend. The film was declared a box office failure.
- "Dictator Cast & Crew". Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "Dictator Release date". TSI.
- "Muhurtham of Dictator". IdleBrain.
- "Dictator Launch". indiaGlitz.
- "Amazon.com: Dictator - Yudh Ek Jung: Sonal Chauhan, Anjali, Nandamuri Balakrishna, Sriwass". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Dictator Shooting part is complete except for 1 song". amaravati-ap. 18 December 2015.
- "Dictator (2016) Audio Launch Details". amaravati-ap. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015.
- "Dictator Music review songs lyrics - IndiaGlitz.com". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Dictator Music review songs lyrics - IndiaGlitz.com". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Balakrishna 99th film Dictator launched". 29 May 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "Balakrishna to romance Legend actress once again"
- "Sonal Chauhan roped in for a crazy project"
- "Balakrishna 99th film Dictator first shooting schedule". Archived from the original on 17 July 2015. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Dictator – Balayya's most stylish film till date!". ManaTeluguMovies. 20 July 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Nandamuri Balakrishna Dictator Introduction Song Shoot Started". 10 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Eros International's Telugu production 'Dictator' with Natasimha Balakrishna successfully completes its first schedule". Eros International.
- "'Dictator' unit lands in Bulgaria". 123telugu.com.
- Madhav, Shashikanth (1 December 2015). "5 Heroines For Balakrishna in Dictator". Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Item Song Details in Dictator". amaravati-ap. 29 December 2015.
- "Mumaith Khan in Balakrishna's Dictator". amaravati-ap. 23 December 2015.
- Shekhar H Hooli (15 January 2016). "Box office collection: Nannaku Prematho business affected by Dictator, Express Raja on 2nd day". Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Shekhar H Hooli (18 January 2016). "'Dictator' 4-day box office collection". Retrieved 7 March 2016.