The Daily Wire
Type of site
|news and opinion|
|Owner||Forward Publishing LLC|
|Alexa rank||563 (US, July 2019)|
|Launched||September 21, 2015|
The Daily Wire was conceived by Ben Shapiro and Jeremy Boreing, who both worked for TruthRevolt, a news website that was formerly funded by the David Horowitz Freedom Center. After the duo secured several million dollars in seed funding from Dan and Farris Wilks, The Daily Wire was launched in 2015, with several former TruthRevolt employees on staff. The website's office is in Los Angeles, California.
The Daily Wire has become one of the leading news sites and publishers on Facebook in terms of engagement. In 2018, NewsWhip identified The Daily Wire as "by far" the top right-wing publisher on Facebook. According to NewsWhip, The Daily Wire was the sixth-leading English-language publisher on Facebook in 2019 through the month of March. The site also had the second most articles among Facebook's 10,000 top stories.
Podcasts and radio
In addition to its written content, the site produces the following podcasts: The Ben Shapiro Show, The Michael Knowles Show, The Matt Walsh Show, and The Andrew Klavan Show.
The reach of The Ben Shapiro Show expanded in April 2018 when Westwood One began syndicating the podcast to radio. In January 2019, Westwood One expanded Shapiro's one-hour podcast-to-radio program, adding a nationally syndicated two-hour live radio show, for three hours of Ben Shapiro programming daily. As of March 2019[update], according to Westwood One, The Ben Shapiro Show is being carried by more than 200 stations, including in nine of the top ten markets.
According to Snopes, "DailyWire.com has a tendency to share stories that are taken out of context or not verified", including reports on protesters digging up Confederate graves, Democratic congresspeople refusing to stand for a fallen Navy SEAL's widow, and Harvard University holding segregated commencement ceremonies. According to FactCheck.org, The Daily Wire incorrectly credited Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson with finding over $500 billion in accounting errors made by the Obama administration. FactCheck.org reported that the errors were discovered and published by HUD's independent inspector general before Carson became secretary.
The Daily Wire has published articles expressing skepticism that climate change is occurring and that humans contribute to climate change. Climate scientists have described the articles as inaccurate and misleading.
The investigative website Popular Information accused The Daily Wire in October 2019 of violating Facebook's policies by creating 14 anonymous pages promoting its content exclusively to boost engagement. A new Facebook policy might force them to add their ownership to their pages. Facebook told Popular Information that it would take no action against The Daily Wire.
- "Dailywire.com Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved July 7, 2019.
- "At Boston University, Conservative Agitator Ben Shapiro Gives Talk Amid Protests, Criticisms". WBUR News. November 14, 2019. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Gold, Hadas (March 14, 2016). "Michelle Fields, Ben Shapiro Resign from Breitbart". Politico. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- "Political commentator Ben Shapiro to Speak at Roanoke College on Thursday". The Roanoke Times. Retrieved September 20, 2016.
- Maddaus, Gene (January 19, 2017). "Inside the Battle 'For the Soul of Conservative Media'". Variety. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Nguyen, Tina (December 9, 2018). "'Let's Make You Famous': How Hollywood Invented Ben Shapiro". Vanity Fair. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- Stevenson, Seth (January 24, 2018). "The Many Faces of Ben Shapiro". Slate. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- Peters, Jeremy W. (October 31, 2017). "In the Heart of 'The Resistance,' California Conservatives Are Invigorated". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- "Partisan Publishers and Political Content" (PDF). NewsWhip. September 2018. Retrieved July 10, 2019.
- "2019 Guide to Publishing on Facebook" (PDF). NewsWhip. March 2019. Retrieved July 10, 2019.
- "A Bounce For Ben Shapiro in March Says Podtrac". Inside Radio. April 24, 2019. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- "Podcasts". The Daily Wire. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Schwartz, Jason. "Ben Shapiro to take his podcast to radio". Politico. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- "Ben Shapiro Radio Show Expands To Three Hours Over The Air". Inside Radio. September 24, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "The Ben Shapiro Show Experiences Explosive Station Growth and Ratings Success by Drawing Younger Listeners to Broadcast Radio". Westwood One. March 6, 2019.
- "FACT CHECK: Is Mohammed the Most Popular Name for Newborn Boys in the Netherlands?". Snopes.com. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Carson Didn't Find HUD Errors". FactCheck.org. April 19, 2017. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Daily Wire article misunderstands study on carbon budget (along with Fox News, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail, Breitbart…)". Climate Feedback. September 21, 2017. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "The Daily Wire makes wild claims about climate change based on no evidence". Climate Feedback. May 9, 2017. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Analysis of 'Scientists: Here's What Really Causes Climate Change (And It Has Nothing To Do With Human Beings)'". Climate Feedback. February 28, 2017. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Hern, Alex; Waterson, Jim (November 7, 2019). "Facebook: we would let Tories run 'doctored' Starmer video as ad". The Guardian. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Information, Judd at Popular. "Facebook allows prominent right-wing website to break the rules". popular.info. Retrieved November 9, 2019.