SAGE Publishing, formerly SAGE Publications, is an American independent publishing company founded in 1965 in New York by Sara Miller McCune and now based in the Newbury Park neighborhood of Thousand Oaks, California.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Thousand Oaks, California|
|Publication types||Academic books, journals, reference and library products|
|Nonfiction topics||Social science, science, medicine, humanities, technology|
|Imprints||Corwin, CQ Press, Learning Matters, Talis, Lean Library and Adam Matthew|
It publishes more than 1,000 journals, more than 800 books a year, reference works and electronic products covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine. SAGE also owns and publishes under the imprints of Corwin Press (since 1990), CQ Press (since 2008), Learning Matters (since 2011), and Adam Matthew Digital (since 2012).
SAGE was founded in 1965 in New York City by Sara Miller (later Sara Miller McCune) with Macmillan Publishers executive George D. McCune as a mentor; the name of the company is an acronym formed from the first letters of their given names. SAGE relocated to Southern California in 1966, after Miller and McCune married; McCune left Macmillan to formally join the company at that time. Sara Miller McCune remained president for 18 years, shifting to board chairman in 1984 (and still retains the title of executive chairman). The couple continued to develop the company together until George McCune's death in 1990.
In 2008, SAGE along with two other companies, sued Georgia State University for alleged copyright infringement due to faculty providing excerpts of materials to students. The case concluded in 2020 with the publishing companies losing.
In 2018, SAGE acquired Lean Library, a browser extension and discovery service, which then faced opposition by part of the academic community for being owned by a for-profit, as opposed to open data, open source and non-profit products like Unpaywall which facilitates usage of open access works.
OASPA membership Edit
SAGE Publishing was a founding member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) when it was established in 2008. In November 2013, OASPA reviewed SAGE's membership after the Journal of International Medical Research accepted a false and intentionally flawed paper created and submitted by a reporter for the journal Science as part of a "sting" to test the effectiveness of the peer-review processes of open access journals . SAGE's membership was reinstated at the end of the six month review period following changes to the journal's editorial processes.
SAGE has acquired a number of other companies, including:
- Pion Limited, founded in 1959 by Adam Gelbtuch and John Ashby, was the publisher of four journals in the Environment and Planning series. SAGE acquired Pion in May 2015.
- Global Village Publishing, which develops software and services for electronic publishing, was acquired by SAGE in May 2018.
- Talis, an educational technology company which developed the learning management system Talis Aspire, was acquired by SAGE in August 2018.
See also Edit
- "Welcome to SAGE". UK.SagePub.com. SAGE Publications. Archived from the original on April 6, 2016. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "SAGE Imprints". SAGE Imprints Page. SAGE Publications. Archived from the original on 4 March 2007. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- "Sage Publications USA acquires CQ Press from Times Publishing Co — May 30, 2008 - M&A Deal Snapshot". AlacraStore.com. Archived from the original on March 18, 2012. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- "Sage acquires Learning Matters". The Bookseller. Archived from the original on January 7, 2014. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- Verma, Henrietta (October 11, 2012). "SAGE Acquires Adam Matthew". Library Journal Reviews. Media Source Inc. Archived from the original on October 18, 2017. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "Sara Miller McCune: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg.com. Archived from the original on November 17, 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "The SAGE Story" (PDF). StudySites.SAGEpub.com. SAGE Publishing. Archived (PDF) from the original on November 19, 2018. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "In Memoriam George D. McCune 1924–1990". Journal of Conflict Resolution. 34 (4): 587. December 1, 1990. doi:10.1177/0022002790034004001. S2CID 220985633.
- Albanese, Andrew (2020-10-02). "Publishers Escape Fee Award as GSU E-Reserves Case Finally Ends". PublishersWeekly.com. Archived from the original on 2020-11-06. Retrieved 2021-07-02.
- "Four more academic publishers reveal gender pay gaps". www.thebookseller.com. Archived from the original on 2019-08-11. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Ferguson, Christine L. (2019). "Leaning Into Browser Extensions". Serials Review. 45 (1–2): 51–56. doi:10.1080/00987913.2019.1624909. S2CID 196180087. Archived from the original on 2023-01-27. Retrieved 2023-01-27.
- Angelaki, Maria (2019-10-21). "Searching Open Access: steps towards improving discovery of OA in a less than 100% OA world". Unlocking Research. Archived from the original on 2020-07-19. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
One area of concern is the ownership of Lean by SAGE Publications, in contrast to the ownership say of Unpaywall as a project of the open-source ImpactStory, and what this means for users' privacy. The concerns are shared by other libraries implementing Lean.
- Brynko, Barbara (June 2011). "Simqu: Leading the Change at SAGE Publications". Information Today. Archived from the original on October 13, 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Malakoff, David (November 11, 2013). "Open-Access Group Sanctions Three Publishers After Science 'Sting'". Science Insider. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Archived from the original on October 14, 2018. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Shaffi, Sarah (April 29, 2014). "OASPA reinstates Sage membership". The Bookseller. Archived from the original on October 14, 2018. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Carpenter, Caroline (2015-05-28). "SAGE acquires Pion". The Bookseller. Archived from the original on 2021-07-09. Retrieved 2020-06-10.
- "In Other News". STM Publishing Newsletter. May 2018. Archived from the original on 2021-07-09. Retrieved 2020-06-10.
- Page, Benedicte (2018-08-16). "SAGE buys technology company Talis". The Bookseller. Archived from the original on 2021-07-09. Retrieved 2020-06-10.