The Daily (podcast)
The Daily is a daily news podcast and radio show by the American newspaper The New York Times. Hosted by Times political journalist Michael Barbaro, its episodes are based on the Times' reporting of the day. Episodes last 20 to 30 minutes, and new episodes air every weekday.
|Hosted by||Michael Barbaro|
|Length||avg. 20-25 minutes|
|Theme music composed by||Jim Brunberg and Ben Landsverk|
|Original release||February 1, 2017– present|
|Provider||The New York Times|
The Daily is based on interviews with Times journalists, in which they summarize and comment on their story, and is complemented by recordings related to the topic, or original reporting such as interviews with persons involved in the story. A summary of headlines concludes the podcast.
Started in January 2017, The Daily became a noted success for the Times; TheStreet.com described it as "a phenomenon, an out-of-the-blue hit". It had 3.8 million individual listeners by August 2017, and was regularly in the top ten most-listened podcasts by autumn 2017. The New Yorker attributed this success, in part, to the podcast's "conversational and intimate" tone, which made news more accessible, and to Barbaro's "idiosyncratic intonation". The podcast began being syndicated to radio by American Public Media in 2018. As of June 2018, the podcast receives 1.1 million downloads every weekday.
The Daily is free to listen and financed by advertising; the Times claims the podcast to be profitable. The Times has said it intends to build a news podcast franchise around it, beginning with a spin-off podcast, The New Washington, in summer 2017. The New Washington ran from July 2017 until December of the same year. A children's edition of The Daily is also planned. In January 2019, The Daily launched a weekly newsletter.
- Mead, Rebecca (21 August 2017). "An Appreciation of Michael Barbaro and "The Daily"". The New Yorker. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- Doctor, Ken (17 October 2017). "New York Times' breakthrough 'The Daily' soars past 100M download mark". TheStreet. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- ""The Daily" Exceeds 100 Million Downloads". The New York Times Company. 17 October 2017. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- Falk, Tyler. "New York Times' 'The Daily' podcast headed to public radio". Current. Retrieved 2018-04-28.
- Johnson, Eric. "Michael Barbaro explains why The Daily podcast doesn't cover Donald Trump's tweets". Recode. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- Siegel, Tatiana. "Michael Barbaro and 'The Daily' Podcast Team on Launching 'The Weekly' FX Series, Working With a Romantic Partner". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- Grinapol, Corinne, The New York Times Unveils Another Politics Podcast, Called The New Washington, retrieved 16 January 2019
- "A regular New York Times kids' section and a kids' version of The Daily are on the way this month". Nieman Lab. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "Subscribe to a Newsletter From 'The Daily'". The New York Times. 2019-01-14. Retrieved 2019-06-16.
- Koblin, John (2018-05-09). "With 'The Weekly,' The New York Times Gets Serious About TV". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-06-02.