Clifford the Big Red Dog (film)
Clifford the Big Red Dog is an upcoming live-action/computer-animated family adventure comedy film directed by Walt Becker from a screenplay by Jay Scherick, David Ronn and Blaise Hemingway, and a story by Justin Malen and Ellen Rapoport, based on the children's book series of the same name by Norman Bridwell. The film stars Darby Camp, Jack Whitehall, Kenan Thompson, Paul Rodriguez, Tony Hale, Russell Peters, Rosie Perez, and John Cleese, with David Alan Grier as the voice of the title character.
|Clifford the Big Red Dog|
|Directed by||Walt Becker|
|Based on||Clifford the Big Red Dog|
by Norman Bridwell
|Music by||John Debney|
|Cinematography||Peter Lyons Collister|
|Edited by||Sabrina Plisco|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
As middle schooler Emily Elizabeth struggles to fit in at home and at school, she discovers a small red puppy who is destined to become her best friend from a magical animal rescuer. When Clifford becomes a gigantic red dog in her New York City apartment and attracts the attention of a genetics company who wish to supersize animals, Emily and her clueless Uncle Casey have to fight the forces of greed as they go on the run across New York City and take a bite out of the Big Apple. Along the way, Clifford affects the lives of everyone around him and teaches Emily and her uncle the true meaning of acceptance and unconditional love. Based on the beloved Scholastic character, Clifford will teach the world how to love big.
- David Alan Grier as the voice of Clifford, a dog who was once a runt of the litter until he grows up to be a giant.
- Darby Camp as Emily-Elizabeth Howard, the young girl who has to save Clifford from a genetics company.
- Jack Whitehall as Uncle Casey, Emily's uncle
- Izaac Wang as Owen Yu, the boy from the next-door apartment.
- John Cleese as Mr. Bridwell, the magical animal rescuer who gives Clifford to Emily.
- Paul Rodriguez as Sanchez, the bodega owner
- Tony Hale as Peter
- Russell Peters as Malik
- Sienna Guillory
- Kenan Thompson
- Rosie Perez
- Jessica Keenan Wynn
In May 2012, it was reported that Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment would produce a live-action/animated film based on the book. Matt Lopez was hired to write the script while Chris Meledandri and Deborah Forte were to produce, but in July 2013, it was reported that Illumination cancelled the project. On September 13, 2013, it was reported that the film was still in development at Universal Pictures with David Bowers in talks to direct the film. Like the 2011 film Hop, the titular dog character will be animated while the other characters will be live-action.
In 2016, Paramount Pictures had purchased the rights to develop a live-action and animated hybrid film. On September 25, 2017, it was reported that Walt Becker had been hired to direct from a script being re-written by Ellen Rapoport, and from the original written by Justin Malen, which would be produced by Forte through her Silvertongue Films banner.
In May 2019, Darby Camp and Jack Whitehall signed on to star in the film. In June 2019, John Cleese, Sienna Guillory, Izaac Wang, Kenan Thompson, Rosie Perez, David Alan Grier, Keith Ewell, Bear Allen Blaine, and Lynn Cohen joined the cast.
Clifford the Big Red Dog is scheduled for release on November 5, 2021 by Paramount Pictures in RealD 3D, Dolby Cinema, and IMAX. It was initially scheduled for November 13, 2020, before being delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Prior to that, Universal Pictures initially slated the film for April 8, 2016 and then pushed back to December 31, 2016.
Comic writer Georgia Ball and illustrator Chi Ngo adapted the film into a graphic novel entitled Clifford the Big Red Dog: The Movie Graphic Novel, which will be published on August 23, 2021, less than three months before the film's release.
- "Dylan O'Brien's 'Monster Problems,' 'Clifford' Backed by Paramount, eOne". Variety. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- "[News] CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG - Get a First Look".
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog Makes His Live-Action Teaser Trailer Debut". LRM. 2020-11-25. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Cox, Trevor (November 26, 2020). "WATCH: Paramount Pictures releases first look at live-action 'Clifford the Big Red Dog'". KVUE.
- "How comedian Paul Rodriguez regained his mojo — and his faith | Angelus News". 2019-08-07. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- Fraser, Garnet (January 22, 2020). "Russell Peters has an amazing house to sell you — and a new standup special". Toronto Star. Retrieved December 19, 2020.
- Alleman, Annie (October 27, 2019). "RStandup comic Russell Peters ends tour with Hammond show". Post-Tribune. Retrieved December 19, 2020.
- Kit, Borys (May 8, 2012). "Illumination and Universal Adapting 'Clifford the Big Red Dog' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Debruge, Peter (July 17, 2013). "Illumination Chief Chris Meledandri Lines Up Originals for Universal". Variety. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
At the same time, Illumination has scrapped a number of planned movie ideas. Waldo and a Tim Burton-helmed, stop-motion The Addams Family are dead. The company abandoned a Woody Woodpecker pic, and couldn’t crack Clifford the Big Red Dog.
- Shaw, Lucas (September 13, 2013). "David Bowers in Talks to Direct 'Clifford the Big Red Dog'; Illumination Drops Off (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- ‘Clifford the Big Red Dog’ Movie Moves to Paramount
- Kit, Borys (September 25, 2017). "'Clifford the Big Red Dog' Nabs 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' Director (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- "Clifford the Big Red Dog Live-Action Movie First Look Leaks". ComicBook. December 25, 2019.
- "First Look at Live Action Adaptation of CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG". BroadwayWorld. January 5, 2020.
- Jack Whitehall, 'Big Little Lies' Actress to Star in 'Clifford, the Big Red Dog' Adaptation (Exclusive)
- John Cleese, Sienna Guillory Join 'Clifford, the Big Red Dog' Movie (Exclusive)
- Kenan Thompson, Rosie Perez Join 'Clifford the Big Red Dog' Movie (Exclusive)
- "Jack Whitehall on Instagram: "Clifford read through done. First day shooting today. The wall display behind Darby and I is essentially what @hilarywhitehall would would…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-10-31.
- Bittle, Jake (July 17, 2019). "Clifford the Big Red Dog is coming to Brooklyn — but can he fit?". Brooklyn Eagle. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- Davis, Brandon (August 13, 2019). "Terrifying Photos From Clifford The Big Red Dog Set Surface Online". Comic Book. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Casting Call in NYC for "Clifford" Movie | Auditions Free". Auditions Free. July 12, 2019. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Jack Whitehall on Instagram: "That's a wrap. 55 day shoot and it flew by. A few tears where shed at wrap as i had such an amazing time shooting this one. What an…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-10-31.
- "John Debney to Score Disney+'s 'Home Alone' Reboot | Film Music Reporter". Retrieved 2020-11-24.
- D'Aless, Anthony; ro (2020-08-29). "'Scream' Relaunch Eyes 2022 Release, 'Snake Eyes' Rolls To 2021 & More – Paramount Release Date Changes". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- Anderton, Ethan (August 29, 2020). "Paramount Sets Release Dates for 'Snake Eyes', New 'Scream' and 'Paranormal Activity' Movies & More". /Film. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- Perine, Aaron (August 28, 2020). "Paramount Delays 'Clifford the Big Red Dog' Movie a Year Due to COVID-19". ComicBook.
- "The Clifford the Big Red Dog Movie is Coming in 2016". ComingSoon.net. August 1, 2014. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Lesnick, Silas (March 10, 2015). "Universal Teams with Scholastic Inc. for Future Projects". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- Ball, Georgia (October 6, 2020). 'Clifford the Big Red Dog: The Movie Graphic Novel' by Georgia Ball. ISBN 978-1338665109.