This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)
Braystones is a railway station on the Cumbrian Coast Line, which runs between Carlisle and Barrow-in-Furness. The station, situated 37 miles (60 km) north-west of Barrow-in-Furness, serves the villages of Beckermet and Braystones in Cumbria. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Managed by||Northern Trains|
|Classification||DfT category F2|
|Original company||Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
British Rail (London Midland Region)
|19 July 1849||Opened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
The station is an unstaffed request stop. It is situated directly on the coast in a remote location. Pearson's 1992 railway guide is moved to comment, "The tiny halts at Braystones and Nethertown are as remote as anything British Rail has to offer...".
The Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway was authorised in 1847 for a line which would link the town of Whitehaven with the Furness Railway at Broughton-in-Furness. It was opened in stages, and the first section, that between Whitehaven and Ravenglass opened either on 1 June 1849 or on 21 July 1849. The station was host to four LMS caravans from 1937 to 1939.
The station buildings are still extant however are in private ownership. As of June 2021 the old station building is called Platform 9 3/4. A bus-stop style shelter is provided on the single platform.
As of the 15 December 2019 timetable (still current at May 2021), five trains call in each direction (on request) from Monday to Friday, with one extra train in each directiom on Saturdays. There is no late evening service, but a limited Sunday service of four trains in each direction (on request) was introduced at the May 2018 timetable change; the first to run over this section since 1976.
- Pearson's Railway Rides, The Cumbrian Coast. J M Pearson & Son, Staffs, 1992.
- Rush, Robert W. (1973). The Furness Railway 1843-1923. The Oakwood Library of Railway History. Lingfield: Oakwood Press. pp. 33–34. OL35.
- Rush 1973, p. 34
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. pp. 42, 195, 248. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- McRae, Andrew (1997). British Railway Camping Coach Holidays: The 1930s & British Railways (London Midland Region). Vol. Scenes from the Past: 30 (Part One). Foxline. p. 22. ISBN 1-870119-48-7.
- Table 100 National Rail timetable, May 2018
- Media related to Braystones railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Train times and station information for Braystones railway station from National Rail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Cumbrian Coast Line
|Nethertown||Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway||Sellafield|