Millom is a railway station on the Cumbrian Coast Line, which runs between Carlisle and Barrow-in-Furness. The station, situated 16 miles (26 km) north-west of Barrow-in-Furness, serves the town of Millom in Cumbria. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Managed by||Northern Trains|
|Classification||DfT category F1|
|Original company||Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
British Rail (London Midland Region)
|1 November 1850||Opened as Holborn Hill|
|1 August 1866||Renamed Millom for Holborn Hill|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
It was originally opened by the Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway on 1 November 1850 as Holborn Hill. The station's name was changed to Millom for Holborn Hill on 1 August 1866, and Millom during the 1890s.
Until 1968, there was a short goods-only branch from here to the ironworks at Hodbarrow. This was abandoned after the works closed but the disused trackbed can still be seen from passing trains, whilst the old works site is now a nature reserve.
The booking office operates on a part-time basis (07:00–15:00, Mondays through Saturdays); outside these times tickets can be purchased from a vending machine on the southern side (as Northern have installed these at all stations on the route that didn't previously have them). Information screens and posters provide train running details for passengers. Both platforms have separate step-free access and are linked via a footbridge.
Monday to Saturdays, there is generally an hourly service southbound to Barrow-in-Furness and northbound to Carlisle (one terminates at Sellafield) - however there is no service northbound after 21:00, with the last few trains from Barrow terminating here. Some services extend from Barrow along the Furness Line to Lancaster and Preston.
Northern introduced a Sunday service from the station (for the first time since 1976) from the summer 2018 timetable change. This runs broadly hourly from mid-morning until early evening.
- Quick, Michael (2019) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (PDF) (5th ed.). Railway & Canal Historical Society. p. 283.
- "Hodbarrow, Millom, Cumbria - Featured Location Guide".
- "Places to Visit - Millom"Cumbrian Coast Line; Retrieved 14 November 2016
- "Fares 2019"Cumbrian Coast Rail Users Group news article; Retrieved 8 November 2019
- Millom station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 1 December 2016
- Table 100 National Rail timetable, May 2019
- Media related to Millom railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Train times and station information for Millom railway station from National Rail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Cumbrian Coast Line
|Silecroft||Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway||Green Road|