Berhane Adere Debala (Ge'ez: ብርሀኔ አደሬ born 21 July 1973 in Shewa) is an Ethiopian long-distance runner who specialises in the 10,000 metres and the half marathon. She was world champion over 10,000 m in 2003 and world champion in the half marathon in 2002. Berhane works for UNICEF as a goodwill ambassador for girls' education.
|2003 Paris||10,000 m|
|2001 Edmonton||10,000 m|
|2005 Helsinki||10,000 m|
|World Half Marathon Championships|
|2002 Brussels||Half marathon|
|2003 Vilamoura||Half marathon|
|2001 Bristol||Half marathon|
Berhane held the African record for 10,000 metres in a time of 30:04.18, set at the 2003 World Championships, where she won gold. The African record was broken at the 2008 Olympics by Tirunesh Dibaba, who became the first African to run under 30 minutes.
Berhane won the IAAF World Half Marathon Championships in 2002, and the bronze medal in the 2001 World Half Marathon Championships. She was the gold medallist over 3000 metres at the 2003 IAAF World Indoor Championships
She won the 2006 Chicago Marathon with a personal best time of 2:20:42. She won the Chicago Marathon again in 2007 and the Dubai Marathon on 18 January 2008. Berhane also won the 2007 Ras Al Khaimah Half Marathon.
She was the top female finisher in the 2010 Rock ‘n’ Roll Mardi Gras Marathon, in which she recorded the fastest ever half marathon on American soil with a time of 1:07:52, breaking her previous best by over 25 seconds. At age 36, that should also be the Masters world record. She saw off a challenge from Ana Dulce Félix to win at the Great North Run in September, completing the half marathon in 1:08:49. In 2012, she had two races, both in October in Britain, where she was runner-up at the Great Birmingham Run and third at the Great South Run.
- Litsky, Frank (8 October 2007). "A Hot Day in Chicago Yields Two Close Finishes". The New York Times.
- Butcher, Pat (8 January 2008). "Second fastest of all time for Gebre in Dubai Marathon". IAAF. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Cruz, Dan (1 March 2010). "Adere clocks 1:07:52, Lel beats Wanjiru at New Orleans Half Marathon". IAAF. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Butcher, Michael (19 September 2010). "Gebrselassie and Adere take Great North Run titles". IAAF. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 19 September 2010.
- Martin, David (21 October 2012). "Kogo defeats Kuma in Birmingham thriller - REPORT". IAAF. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Berhane Adere at IAAF
- Berhane Adere in the half marathon in Rotterdam 2007
- Cheering Adere From The Back - From Ethiopian Running Blog
| Women's 5,000 m Best Year Performance
| Zevenheuvelenloop Women's Winner (15 km)
| Rotterdam Women's Half Marathon Winner