Baar Baar Dekho
Baar Baar Dekho (transl. 'Look again and again') is a 2016 Indian Hindi-language science fiction romantic drama film directed by Nitya Mehra which marks her debut in Hindi cinema. It is produced by Karan Johar and Farhan Akhtar under the banner of Dharma Productions and Excel Entertainment respectively. The film stars Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif in the lead roles, with Ram Kapoor and Sarika playing supporting roles. It is heavily inspired from Click (2006). The film was released in India on 9 September 2016 worldwide, receiving mixed response from critics.
|Baar Baar Dekho|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Nitya Mehra|
|Produced by||Hiroo Yash Johar|
Anvita Dutt Guptan
|Story by||Sri Rao|
Arko Pravo Mukherjee
|Cinematography||Ravi K. Chandran|
|Edited by||Amitabh Shukla|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
|Box office||₹557.4 million|
Jai Verma (Sidharth Malhotra) and Diya Kapoor (Katrina Kaif) are childhood sweethearts. Jai is a mathematics professor and Diya, an artist. While Jai hopes to get a fellowship at Cambridge University, Diya wishes to marry her long-term boyfriend. Jai reluctantly agrees to marry her, but changes his mind because of the thought of the seven vows and the billion rituals, as well as the fear of divorce. Jai criticizes these meaningless rituals and talks negatively of his marriage. He tells Diya that he has other plans for his bright future and she may not be a part of it. She walks away heartbroken. Jai gets drunk and passes out only to wake up in Thailand on his honeymoon. He discovers that it's been ten days since he married Diya. He has no memory of it at all.
Next up, in 2018, he wakes up in Cambridge, only to find his wife about to deliver their child. He discovers that it has been two years since his marriage. He realises he has been time travelling and has no control over it.
Next time, in 2034, he wakes up, he is a professor at Cambridge University, his dream job. It has been eighteen years since his marriage. To his horror, Jai realises that it is the day when he and Diya are divorced. Heartbroken, he returns home and pleads to return to the past to set things right.
Jai wakes up the next day, in 2023, realizing he is in the past, seven years after his marriage. He juggles many priorities of his family and career. However Jai gives more priority to work and instead of going for Diya's first art exhibition, he goes to his friend Chitra's (Sayani Gupta) place to help her with her breakup. Chitra tries to have an affair with Jai. Believing it to be the cause of his divorce, Jai hastily returns home, but his family is unhappy with him.
Jai is however convinced that he has set things right. The next day, in 2047, he wakes up to find himself in his 60-year-old self. He finds out that his mother had died and everyone gathered for her funeral. After the funeral, Jai is shocked that he and Diya are still divorced and that Diya had married art gallery owner Nikhil Khanna, her show opener, who enjoyed the love of Jai's mother (Sarika) and children.
Reeling from this blow, Jai comes across the priest (Rajit Kapoor) who had conducted his marriage, who warns him of the importance of time. Jai is given another opportunity to set things right as he goes back in 2023 on time to the same day, seven years after his marriage. This time, he sets things right. He spends time with his children, does his work well and makes Diya feel special and attends her art exhibition. At the end of the day, Jai is a happy man.
Jai wakes up back into the present, the day after he argued with Diya about his life and his career, got drunk and began the long mental voyage into his future while possibly asleep. Jai rushes back to Diya, cherishing every moment along the way, also glad to see his mother again. Jai reconciles with Diya and promises to be true to her. The film ends with them marrying and everyone dancing.
- Sidharth Malhotra as Jai Verma, Diya's love interest in 1990—2016 and first husband in (2016—2034)
- Katrina Kaif as Diya Kapoor, Jai's love interest in (1990—2016) Jai's wife in (2016—2034) and Nikhil's wife in (2047)
- Sayani Gupta as Chitra
- Kirti Adarkar as Suman
- Taaha Shah as Tarun
- Rohan Joshi as Raj
- Rajit Kapur as Panditji (special appearance)
- Ram Kapoor as Vinod Kapoor, Diya's father
- Sarika as Varsha Varma, Jai's mother
- Sagar Arya as Nikhil Khanna, Diya's second husband in the flash-forward
- Sanjana Sanghi as a student in Jai's classroom
In October 2013, it was announced that Nitya Mehra, assistant director to films Life of Pi and The Reluctant Fundamentalist, would be making her directorial debut with Excel Entertainment on their new project. Aamir Khan and Deepika Padukone were initially attached, but both eventually left the project. Anushka Sharma was also offered the female lead but she turned it down as well. In September 2014, it was officially announced that the film will be co-produced by Karan Johar of Dharma Productions and that Sidharth Malhotra will feature in the film. Later in April 2015, Katrina Kaif was confirmed to feature in the film, opposite Malhotra. The film was initially titled Kal Jisne Dekha.
Principal photography began on 28 August 2015, in Glasgow, Scotland, and went for over a month. Filming then continued in Delhi and Mumbai from November 2015 onwards. On 22 February 2016, the team filmed "Sau Aasmaan" in Krabi, Thailand, for a week.
According to Box Office India, the film had a total budget of ₹530 million (equivalent to ₹610 million or US$8.6 million in 2019). However, The Indian Express stated that budget was around ₹350 million (equivalent to ₹400 million or US$5.7 million in 2019) excluding the cost of printing & marketing which are generally not considered part of the budget.
|Baar Baar Dekho|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||3 August 2016|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The music is composed by Amaal Mallik, Arko, Badshah, Jasleen Royal, Bilal Saeed, and Prem Hardeep. The first song "Kala Chashma" was released on 27 July 2016. The full music album was released on 3 August 2016. The music rights are acquired by Zee Music Company.
|1.||"Kho Gaye Hum Kahan"||Prateek Kuhad||Jasleen Royal||Jasleen Royal, Prateek Kuhad||3:33|
|2.||"Sau Aasmaan"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik, Neeti Mohan||3:54|
|4.||"Nachde Ne Saare"||Aditya Sharma||Jasleen Royal||Jasleen Royal, Harshdeep Kaur, Siddharth Mahadevan||3:14|
|5.||"Teri Khair Mangdi"||Kumaar, Bilal Saeed||Bilal Saeed||Bilal Saeed||3:45|
|6.||"Kala Chashma"||Amrik Singh, Kumaar||Prem Hardeep, Badshah||Amar Arshi, Badshah, Neha Kakkar||3:07|
In August 2016, the film was granted a U/A certificate by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). However, the examining committee of the board asked the producers to remove two visuals from the film which involved sequences depicting an actor wearing a brassiere and another referencing Savita Bhabhi, a popular Indian pornographic cartoon character.
Baar Baar Dekho released alongside Sohail Khan's sports romantic comedy Freaky Ali and collected ₹68.1 million (equivalent to ₹79 million or US$1.1 million in 2019) on its opening day in India beating Freaky Ali's ₹25.5 million (equivalent to ₹30 million or US$410,000 in 2019). On the second day, the film showed growth in its occupancy and collected ₹76.5 million (equivalent to ₹89 million or US$1.2 million in 2019) before its breakdown on the third day where it collected ₹67 million (equivalent to ₹78 million or US$1.1 million in 2019) and reached the first weekend collection of ₹211.6 million (equivalent to ₹240 million or US$3.4 million in 2019). The film then started its break down as it collected ₹83.4 million (equivalent to ₹96 million or US$1.4 million in 2019) in the next four days and with that the film made its first collection of ₹295 million (equivalent to ₹340 million or US$4.8 million in 2019). In the second week it collected ₹17.5 million (equivalent to ₹20 million or US$280,000 in 2019) and then ₹600,000 (equivalent to ₹690,000 or US$9,700 in 2019) and ₹200,000 (equivalent to ₹230,000 or US$3,200 in 2019) in the third and fourth week, respectively. The film's net collection was ₹312.4 million (equivalent to ₹360 million or US$5.1 million in 2019) while its grossing in India was ₹433.9 million (equivalent to ₹500 million or US$7.0 million in 2019).
The film showed impressive grossing internationally collecting ₹65.4 million (equivalent to ₹76 million or US$1.1 million in 2019), ₹29.9 million (equivalent to ₹35 million or US$480,000 in 2019), and ₹26.7 million (equivalent to ₹31 million or US$430,000 in 2019) from North America (USA & Canada), UK, and UAE, respectively. The film also collected ₹5 million (equivalent to ₹5.8 million or US$81,000 in 2019) from Pakistan, ₹9.1 million (equivalent to ₹11 million or US$150,000 in 2019) from Australia, and ₹2.8 million (equivalent to ₹3.2 million or US$45,000 in 2019) from New Zealand.
Rediff.com gave the film 1 out 5, calling it "catastrophically stupid," and commenting that "a feeble script is built on constant, relentless revelations with artlessly expository dialogues." Subhash K. Jha from NDTV gave the movie 4/5, and mentioned that there "is plenty to celebrate in Baar Baar Dekho, not the least of its virtues being the ability to deliver marital home truths without sermons or soliloquies." Writing for The Hindu, Namrata Joshi commented that the movie features "passionless performances and cardboard characters" that lack depth. "There are no standout performances, no scenes that can pack in an emotional wallop and the conversational dialogue turns banal beyond a point." The Indian Express gave the movie 1.5 out of 5, noting that "Katrina Kaif's limited emoting abilities, Sidharth Malhotra's one-note performance and a banal script" make watching the film once "way more than enough." India Today criticized the performance of the lead actors in the film: "Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif both seem to think they are in the film to make it look good. There's hardly any acting on the part of either. While Katrina's moments of frustration and sorrow invoke the stray laugh from the theatre, Sidharth's neither-here-nor-there Jai hardly makes an impact."
|Filmfare Awards||Best Playback Singer – Female||Neeti Mohan for "Sau Aasmaan"||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Best Female Playback||Neeti Mohan for "Sau Aasmaan"||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Choreography||Bosco-Caesar for "Kala Chashma"||Won|
|Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year||Arko Pravo Mukherjee for "Dariya"||Nominated|
- "Baar Baar Dekho – Movie – Budget". Box Office India. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho (2016) – Movie – Box Office India". Box Office India. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Baar Baar Dekho Trailer: Katrina Kaif And Sidharth Malhotra Shine As Lovers Caught In A Time Warp".
- "Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif share a sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho'"
- "Is 'Baar Baar Dekho' similar to Adam Sandler's Hollywood film 'Click'?". mid-day. 4 August 2016. Retrieved 30 December 2020.
- "Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif in Baar Baar Dekho"
- "Excel to produce Nitya Mehra's directorial venture". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Aamir's Profit Motive". Open Magazine. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "5 Films Anushka Sharma Rejected & We Thank Her For That!". www.filmibeat.com. 10 December 2017. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Sidharth Malhotra roped in for Farhan Akhtar, Ritesh Sidhwani's next to be co-produced by Karan Johar". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho: Sidharth-Katrina's next goes on floors". India Today. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Sidharth, Katrina Wrap-Up Baar Baar Dekho's Glasgow Schedule". NDTV. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra snapped on the sets of 'Baar Baar Dekho'". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif shoot for Baar Baar Dekho in Thailand". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho sprints ahead of Nawazuddin Siddiqui – Photo Gallery". Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Karan Johar denies singing debut, says he is 'tone-deaf'". Hindustan Times. New Delhi. ANI. 19 July 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's Kala Chashma is our party anthem of the year, period". The Indian Express. 27 July 2016. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho: Censors cut bra shot, Savita Bhabhi from Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra film". 29 August 2016.
- "A Shot of a Bra Had To Be Deleted From 'Baar Baar Dekho' Because The Censor Board Found It 'Offensive'".
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections and Day wise breakup of Baar Baar Dekho". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Review: Baar Baar Dekho is catastrophically stupid". Rediff.com. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho Movie Review: Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra Give it Heart". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho: Stuck in a time warp". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho movie review: Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's feeble romance". The Indian Express. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Baar Baar Dekho movie review: Sidharth-Katrina's film has guesswork at its core". India Today. Retrieved 10 September 2016.