Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited(Redirected from BSNL)
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (abbreviated BSNL) is an Indian state-owned telecommunications company headquartered in New Delhi. It was incorporated on 15 September 2000 and assumed the business of providing telecom services and network management from the erstwhile Central Government Departments of Telecom Services (DTS) and Telecom Operations (DTO) as of 1 October 2000 on a going-concern basis. It is the largest provider of fixed telephony and broadband services with more than 60% market share, and is the Fifth largest mobile telephony provider in India. However, in recent years, the company's revenues and market share have plummeted resulting in heavy losses as a result of intense competition in the Indian telecommunications sector. BSNL is India's oldest communication service provider and had a customer base of 93.29 million as of June 2015. It has footprints throughout India, except for Mumbai and New Delhi, where telecommunicatons are managed by Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL).
|Founded||15 September 2000|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Anupam Shrivastava (Chairman & MD)|
|Services||Fixed line and mobile telephony, Internet services, digital television, IPTV|
|Revenue||₹32,918 crore (US$5.1 billion) (2016)|
|₹3,855 million (US$60 million) (2016)|
|Total assets||₹893 billion (US$14 billion) (2014)|
|Owner||Government of India|
|Members||93.29 million (June 2015)|
Number of employees
BSNL Mobile is a major provider of GSM cellular mobile services under the brand name Cellone. BSNL provides a complete telecom services solution to enterprise customers including MPLS, P2P and Internet leased lines. It provides fixedline services and landline using CDMA technology and its own extensive optical fiber network. BSNL provides Internet access services through dial-up connections as prepaid, NetOne as Postpaid and DataOne as BSNL Broadband.
BSNL offers value-added services such as Free Phone Service (FPH), India Telephone Card (Prepaid card), Account Card Calling (ACC), Virtual Private Network (VPN), Tele-voting, Premium Rate Service (PRM) and Universal Access Number (UAN). BSNL also offers the IPTV which enables customers to watch television through the Internet and Voice and Video Over Internet Protocol (VVoIP). In 2007, BSNL announced plans to provide 5 million broadband connections and secured 80% of the INR 25 billion rural telephony project of the Government of India. On 20 March 2009, BSNL launched blackberry services across India. BSNL paid Rs. 101.87 billion for 3G spectrum in 2010. As of 2011[update], BSNL offered coverage in over 800 cities across India. BSNL launched in 2012 a 3G wireless pocket-sized router called Winknet Mf50. BSNL 3G provides HSPA+ service with a top speed of 21.1 Mbit/s downlink and 5.76 Mbit/s uplink.
After providing it for 160 years, BSNL discontinued its telegraph service on 15 July 2013. It began delivering telegrams to the public in February 1855; this service was upgraded to a web-based messaging system in 2010 and had been offered through 182 telegraph offices across India.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, a Public Sector Enterprise, also provides fiber plans for the home, which are generally known as BSNL FTTH broadband service. This is the fastest broadband service provided by BSNL, offering speeds up to 100Mbit/s to home-based Internet users.
According to a Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Report dated 19 Feb 2016, at the end of 2015, BSNL's 14.54% share of the broadband market placed it 4th in market share. As a wireless provider, it ranked 6th with an 8.16% share of that market.
BSNL launched linguistic email service using the DATAMAIL app in eight Indian languages. The DATAMAIL app is powered with XgenPlus email technology provided by Data Xgen Technologies. On 8 June 2017 BSNL signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) to have 25,000 Wi-Fi hotspots in rural exchanges within the next six months.
BSNL is divided into a number of administrative units, variously known as: telecom circles, metro districts, project circles and specialised units. It has 24 telecom circles, two metro districts, six project circles, four maintenance regions, five telecom factories, three training institutions and four specialised telecom units.
BSNL enforces the censorship of online content as instructed to by the Indian Department of Telecom.
- "Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss" (PDF). BSNL. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/BSNL’s-operating-profit-jumps-six-fold-to-Rs-3855-cr-in-FY16/article16720236.ece. Missing or empty
- "Telecom Subscription data, June 2015" (PDF). TRAI. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "DoT puts up roadblock in BSNL’s IPO plans". Profit.ndtv.com. 11 June 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- Special Correspondent (31 July 2010). "BSNL reports first-ever loss of Rs. 1,823 crore". Chennai, India: Thehindu.com. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- BSNL Broadband Archived 24 November 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- NetOne Archived 3 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "BSNL Champion Trendy 531 Phablet Price - Specifications - Features". Mobiles Bug. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- (9) Comments. "BSNL Launches VVoIP". Techtree.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "BSNL bags 80% of Rs 2,500-crore rural mobile telephony project". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 March 2007.
- Pahwa, Nikhil (29 May 2010). "India’s 3G Auction Ends; Operator And Circle-Wise Results". MediaNama. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "BSNL 3G Services Now In 826 Cities In India". 15 July 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "BSNL releases 3G wireless pocket router".
- "BSNL decides to discontinue 160-year-old telegram service". The Times of India. 12 Jun 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Joshi, Sandeep (12 June 2013). "Dot, dash, full stop: Telegram service ends July 15". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Gopal, B. Madhu (2012-03-01). "BSNL offers FTTH for high speed broadband users". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Internet service providers in India" (PDF).
- "BSNL DataMail: Here's How to Get Free Email IDs in 8 Indian Languages". 21 December 2016.
- "Data Mail".
- "XgenPlus - Enterprise email server-Web & Email Hosting Service-Jaipur".
- "XgenPlus | Enterprise email server|Web & Email Hosting Service|Jaipur". www.xgenplus.com. Retrieved 2016-12-22.
- "BSNL Units".