This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Axis Bank is the fifth-largest Indian bank offering a wide assortment of financial products. The bank has its head office in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It has 4,050 branches, 11,801 ATMs and 4,917 cash recyclers spread across the country as of 31 March 2019 and nine international offices. The bank employs over 55,000 people and had a market capitalization of ₹1.31 trillion (US$18 billion) (as on 31 March 2018). It sells financial services to large and mid-size corporates, SME and retail businesses.
|Traded as||BSE: 532215|
|Industry||Banking, Financial services|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Number of locations
|4094 branches  (March 2019)|
|Products||Retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, mortgage loans, private banking, wealth management, credit cards, finance and insurance|
|Revenue||₹681 billion (US$9.5 billion) (2019)|
|₹190 billion (US$2.7 billion) (2019)|
|₹46.77 billion (US$660 million) (2019)|
|Total assets||₹8.00997 trillion (US$110 billion) (2019)|
Number of employees
As of 30 June 2016, 30.81% shares are owned by promoters and promoter group (United India Insurance Company Limited, Oriental Insurance Company Limited, National Insurance Company Limited, New India Assurance Company Ltd, GIC, LIC and UTI). The remaining 69.19% shares are owned by mutual funds, FIIs, banks, insurance companies, corporate bodies and individual investors among others.
The bank was founded in December 1993, as UTI Bank, opening its registered office in Ahmedabad and corporate office in Mumbai. UTI Bank began its operations in 1993, after the Government of India allowed new private banks to be established. The bank was promoted in 1993 jointly by the Administrator of the Unit Trust of India (UTI-I), Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), General Insurance Corporation, National Insurance Company, The New India Assurance Company, The Oriental Insurance Corporation and United India Insurance Company. The first branch was inaugurated on 2 April 1994 in Ahmedabad by Dr. Manmohan Singh, the then finance minister of India.
In 2001 UTI Bank agreed to merge with Global Trust Bank, but the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) withheld approval and the merger did not happen. In 2004, the RBI put Global Trust into moratorium and supervised its merger with Oriental Bank of Commerce.
UTI Bank opened its first overseas branch in 2006 in Singapore. That same year it opened a representative office in Shanghai, China. In 2007, UTI Bank opened a branch in the Dubai International Financial Centre and branches in Hong Kong. In 2008, it opened a representative office in Dubai.
With effect from 30 July 2007, UTI Bank changed its name to Axis Bank.
Axis Bank opened a branch in Colombo in October 2011, as a Licensed Commercial Bank supervised by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka. Also in 2011, Axis Bank opened a representative offices in Abu Dhabi. In 2011, Axis bank inaugurated Axis House, its new corporate office in Worli, Mumbai.
In 2013, Axis Bank's subsidiary, Axis Bank UK commenced banking operations. Axis Bank UK has a branch in London.
In 2014, Axis Bank launched its first ‘All Women Branch’ in Patna.
In 2015, Axis Bank opened its representative office in Dhaka.
As of 12 Aug 2016, the bank had a network of 4,094 branches and extension counters and 12,922 ATMs.
Axis Bank has the largest ATM network among private banks in India. It even operates an ATM at one of the world's highest sites at Thegu, Sikkim at a height of 4,023 meters (13,200 ft) above sea level.
The bank has nine international offices with branches at Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai (at the DIFC), Shanghai, Colombo and representative offices at Dhaka, Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi, which focus on corporate lending, trade finance, syndication, investment banking and liability businesses. In addition to the above, the bank has a presence in UK with its wholly owned subsidiary Axis Bank UK Limited.
The bank offers services such as lending to individuals and small businesses subject to the orientation, product and granularity criterion, along with liability products, card services, Internet banking, automated teller machines (ATM) services, depository, financial advisory services, and Non-resident Indian (NRI) services. Axis bank is a participant in RBI's NEFT enabled participating banks list.
Transaction banking: Formed in April 2015, TxB provides integrated products and services to customers in areas of current accounts, cash management services, capital market services, trade, foreign exchange and derivatives, cross-border trade and correspondent banking services and tax collections on behalf of the Government and various State Governments in India.
Investment banking and trustee services: The bank provides investment banking and trusteeship services through its owned subsidiaries. Axis Capital Limited provides investment banking services relating to equity capital markets, institutional stock brokering besides M&A advisory. Axis Trustee Services Limited is engaged in trusteeship activities, acting as debenture trustee and as trustee to various securitization trusts.
The bank continues to offer corporate banking, trade finance, treasury and risk management through the branches at Singapore, Hong Kong, DIFC, Shanghai and Colombo, and also retail liability products from its branches at Hong Kong and Colombo. The representative office at Dhaka was inaugurated during the current financial year.
Following the 2016 Indian Banknote Demonetisation, a number of Axis Bank employees were arrested for facilitating money laundering activities. Some media outlets highlighted the disproportionate number of cases involving the bank, and claimed that the bank's aggressive performance targets and internal culture fostered such activities and that the blame does not lie solely in the hands of arrested employees.
Operation Red SpiderEdit
An Indian online magazine conducted a sting operation which was publicised along with 2013 videos evidence showing a wide range of violations and money-laundering schemes by top officials at a number of Indian banks, including Axis Bank. Consequently, penalties of ₹50 million (US$700,000) on Axis Bank, ₹45 million (US$630,000) on HDFC Bank, and ₹10 million (US$140,000) on ICICI Bank were imposed by the Reserve Bank of India.
Axis Thought FactoryEdit
The innovation hub located in Bengaluru, has an in-house innovation team and an accelerator programme. With this launch, Axis Bank became the first Indian bank to introduce a dedicated innovation lab in the country.
Asha home loansEdit
Asha home loans targets first-time home buyers in the lower-income segment. The product offers loans from ₹100,000 (US$1,400)–₹1.5 million (US$21,000) in small towns (population less than 1 million) and up to ₹2.8 million (US$39,000) in larger towns (population over 1 million), to customers with family incomes of ₹8,000 (US$110)–₹10,000 (US$140) per month and above.
eKYC is an online, paperless Aadhaar card-based process for fulfilling KYC requirements to start investing in mutual funds without submission of any documents. SEBI has recently in 2017, allowed Aadhaar-based KYC to be used for MF investments, for the convenience of investors. Axis Bank partnered with Visa to launch 'eKYC' (electronic know your customer) facility, first organization in India to introduce biometrics-based KYC.
Axis Capital Ltd.Edit
Axis Capital Ltd.was incorporated in India as a wholly owned subsidiary of the bank on 6 December 2005 and received its certificate of commencement of business on 2 May 2006. Certain businesses of M/s. Enam Securities Pvt. Ltd. were merged with Axis Capital Ltd. as part of a scheme and the following companies became direct subsidiaries of ACL:
- Axis Securities Ltd. (formerly Enam Securities Direct Pvt. Ltd.)
- Axis Finance Ltd. (formerly Enam Finance Pvt. Ltd.)
- Axis Securities Europe Ltd. (formerly Enam Securities Europe Ltd.)
- Enam International Ltd., UAE (voluntarily dissolved with effect from 24 August 2014)
Axis Securities Ltd., Axis Finance Ltd. and Axis Securities Europe Ltd. later became direct subsidiaries of the bank in line with the RBI directives.
Axis Securities Ltd.Edit
Axis Securities Ltd.was incorporated in India on 21 July 2006. The sales and securities business, including the retail broking business of Axis Capital Ltd, was merged with ASL on 25 May 2013. ASL is a wholly owned subsidiary of the bank and is in the business of marketing retail asset products, credit cards and retail broking.
Axis Private Equity Ltd.Edit
Axis Private Equity Ltd.was incorporated in India as a wholly owned subsidiary of the bank on 3 October 2006 and received its certificate of commencement on 4 December 2006. APE is in the business of managing investments, venture capital funds and offshore fundsx.
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- Best Debt House in India – Euromoney
- Best Domestic Debt House in India – Asiamoney
- Overall Winner & Consistent Performer -(Large Banks Category) – Business Today Best Bank Awards 2010
- Bank of the Year – Money Today FPCIL Awards 2012-13
- Best Private Sector Bank – CNBC-TV18 India's Best Bank and Financial Institution Awards 2012
- Consistent Performer – India's Best Banks – 2012 Survey by Business Today & KPMG
- Gold Shield for Excellence in Financial Reporting in the Private Banks category – 2011-12 – ICAI (Institute of Chartered Accountants of India)
- Axis Bank ranked No 1 company to work for in the BFSI sector – 'The Best Companies to Work for' survey by Business Today.
- Ranked No 1 in the IT Biz Award – large enterprises category by Express IT Awards
- Innovation for 2013 for Ladies First card under ‘the Most Innovative Broad Based Product Offering’ category- IBA Innovations Award.
- Axis Bank Foundation conferred Outstanding Corporate Foundation at Forbes India, Philanthropy Awards, 2014
- Best Domestic Bank in India- Asiamoney Best Banks 2014
- Best Bank Award among Large Banks for IT For Business Innovation- IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2014
- Axis Bank featured for the fourth time in Asia's Fab50 companies for 2014 by Forbes Asia
- Best Bank for Rural Reach in the Private Sector and Best Retail Growth Performance in the Private Sector category- Dun & Bradstreet-Polaris Financial Technology Banking Awards 2014
- Axis Bank has been adjudged winner in the Best Bank Category, Outlook Money Awards 2015
- Axis Bank awarded for the Best Security among Private Sector Banks in India by Data Security Council of India (DSCI).
- Axis Bank conferred the Certificate of Recognition for excellence in Corporate Governance by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), for the year 2015.
- Best Domestic Bank in India- Asiamoney Best Banks 2015
- Axis Bank's Mobile App tops Forrester Research's review of Smartphone Mobile Banking Apps in India.
- Axis Bank was selected as the Best Private Sector Bank under the category Rural Reach at the Dun & Bradstreet Banking Awards 2015
- Axis Bank has been conferred with IDRBT Best Bank Award for Digital Banking, Analytics & Big Data among large banks.
- Axis Bank has been featured in Limca Book of Records 2015 for creating a National Record for its campaign – 'Plant a Sapling'
- Axis bank has been awarded the title of Superbrand 2014–2015, by Superbrands
- No. 1 Promising Banking Brand of 2015, Economic Times Awards 2015
- Winner in the 'Best Payment Initiatives' category amongst Private Sector Banks, IBA Banking Technology Awards 2015
Axis Banks's equity shares are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India. The company's global depository receipts (GDRs) are listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Bonds issued by the bank under the MTN programme are listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- "Media Center - Corporate Profile". Axis Bank. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- (PDF) https://www.axisbank.com/docs/default-source/quarterly-results/axis-bank-announces-financial-results-for-the-quarter-ended-30th-june-2019.pdf. Missing or empty
- "RBI approves appointment of Rakesh Makhija as Chairman of Axis Bank". moneycontrol. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Amitabh Chaudhary takes charge". peoplematters. 2 January 2019. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- "Axis Bank Annual Report PDF 2018-19" (PDF), Axix Bank
- "Balance sheet 2016-17" (PDF).
- "Statement showing shareholding pattern of the Promoter and Promoter Group". BSE. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Statement showing shareholding pattern of the Public shareholder". BSE. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Kotak, Uday (27 October 2014). "Uday Kotak: Now, wait for the next Big Thing". Business Standard India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "SUUTI money belongs to UTI investors and not to the government by enforcing the l". Firstpost. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank travel currency card volume crosses $2 bn mark". The Economic Times. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank travel currency card volume crosses $2 bn mark". The Indian Express. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "AXIS BANK REGS share price (AXB)". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's Axis Bank seeks Gulf expansion with branch in Sharjah". The National. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- url = https://www.livemint.com/Companies/kHWbcToVD2OSRnDNXVqGeP/UTI-Bank-is-now-Axis-Bank.html
- P. Mampatta, Sachin (16 May 2013). "Shikha Sharma gets a salary hike". Business Standard India. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Axis Bank says SL has potential for international finance hub". Sunday Times Sri Lanka. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's Axis Bank opens Abu Dhabi office as Indians in UAE get richer". The National. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "The understated radical". Mint newspaper. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Rebello, Joel. "Axis Bank launches its first overseas subsidiary". Mint newspaper. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank introduces Deepika Padukone as brand ambassador". Times of India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "axis-bank-opens-its-first-all-women-branch-at-patna-bihar" (PDF).
- "Axis Bank enters Bangladesh, opens representative office in Dhaka". The Hindu. 22 November 2015. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- India, Press Trust of (31 December 2018). "Shikha Sharma retires as Axis Bank MD & CEO, Amitabh Chaudhry to succeed". Business Standard India. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- "Annual Report for the year 2012–2013" (PDF). Axis Bank. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "AXIS BANK ANNOUNCES FINANCIAL RESULTS FOR THE QUARTER ENDED 30th JUNE 2019" (PDF).
- "Axis Bank inaugurates 10,000th ATM at Akurdi, Pune". Yahoo! Finance. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank Continues to be the largest ATM network provider". Ground Report. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "World's Highest ATM in Sikkim". SevenDiary.com. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "中国银监会关于印度同心银行有限公司上海分行开业的批复". 中国银行业监督管理委员会. 28 August 2013.
- "Axis Bank enters Bangladesh, opens representative office in Dhaka". Business Standard India. 23 November 2015.
- "Axis Bank to open for business in Britain". Reuters. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "RBI's list of Banks participating in NEFT". Reserve Bank of India. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Transaction banking huge focus for Axis Bank". Economic Times. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "IDBI Trust, Kotak AMC, LIC among top entities holding $7 billion pledged shares of India Inc". The Economic Times. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Dash, Dillip Satapathy & Jayajit (28 April 2011). "Axis Bank to scale up global banking operations". Business Standard India. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank opens its representative office in Dhaka to strengthenits International presence". Sify. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Kumar, Ajay. "Axis Bank managers arrested for exploiting a gold scam money laundering loophole". Daily Mail. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Demonetisation: ED arrests 2 bank managers for laundering". Press Trust of India. 5 December 2016. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- Hazari, Hemindra (23 December 2016). "Axis Bank – A License to Launder?". The Wire. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "RBI penalises Axis Bank, HDFC Bank and ICICI Bank". Reserve Bank of India. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Axis Bank ties up with Amazon, Visa to help startups in India". The Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank first in India to launch innovation lab, Thought Factory". Banking Technology. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank launches 'Thought Factory'". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Zone Startups selected by Axis Bank to run Fintech Accelerator". India Infoline. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank launches home loan scheme for lower income group". The Hindu. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Singh, Priyanka. "Axis Bank launches 30-year 'affordable housing' loan to lower income segment". Times of India. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Vishwanathan, Vivina (7 April 2014). "Product crack: Asha Home Loan". Mint (newspaper). Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Get eKYC Verified Online By Aadhaar Card in 2 Minutes | Mutual Funds". The Investment Mania. 21 November 2016. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- "Have an Aadhaar card? Axis Bank now allows e-KYC to open account". First Post. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- User, Super. "About Axis Securities". simplehai.axisdirect.in. Retrieved 24 September 2019.
- "2010 Asian Awards for excellence: By country". Euromoney. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Asia's best banks stand out". Asiamoney. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's best banks". Business Today. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank named Bank of the Year:'The Banker'". India Infoline. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "The winners of first Money Today FPCIL Awards". Business Today. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "MCX-SX presents CNBC TV18's *'India Best Banks and Financial Institutions Awards 2012'". India Infoline. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "India's Best Banks 2013". Business Today. 8 December 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Why Axis Bank is among the best companies to work for". Business Today. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Express IT Awards" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 September 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "IBA Awards for Innovation in Banking 2013" (PDF). Indian Banks' Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 January 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Forbes India Magazine - Fixing The Big Picture: Axis Bank Foundation". Forbes India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Asiamoney Best Domestic Bank Awards". Asiamoney. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Starz, Theme. "Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2014-15". IDRBT. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank on the Forbes Global 2000 List". Forbes.com. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Bank of Baroda and HDFC Bank Limited win top honours at the Dun & Bradstreet Polaris Financial Technology Banking Awards 2014 Dun & Bradstreet releases study on Indias Top Banks 2014". Dun & Bradstreet India. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Outlook Money Awards 2015: The Winning Set". Outlook Money. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Winners Data Security Council of India". Dsci.in. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "About 15th ICSI National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance" (PDF). Icsi.edu. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Asiamoney Best Domestic Bank Awards". Asiamoney. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "2015 Indian Mobile Banking Functionality Benchmark". Forrester.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Axis Bank mobile app tops other banks: Forrester". Business Standard India. 18 August 2015. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "INDIA'S TOP BANKS & BANKING AWARDS 2015". Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2015-16". Idrbt.ac.in. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "LARGEST PLANTATION DRIVE BY A BANK". Limca Book of Records. Archived from the original on 5 October 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "SUPERBRANDS 2015" (PDF). SuperbrandsIndia.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Economic Times Most Promising Brands 2015 unveiled | Best Media Info, News and Analysis on Indian Advertising, Marketing and Media Industry". Best Media Info. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "IBA Banking Technology Awards 2014-15" (PDF). Indian Banks' Association. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Listing Information - Axis Bank". Economic Times. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Axis Bank Limited GDR". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 26 January 2014.