United India Insurance Company
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
United India Insurance Company is a leading Indian government owned general insurance company. It is under the ownership of Ministry of Finance , Government of India is headquartered in Chennai, India. It was incorporated on 18 February 1938, and nationalised in 1972.
|Founded||18 February 1938|
(Chairman & MD)
|Revenue||₹16,678 crore (US$2.3 billion) (2019)|
|₹−2,137 crore (US$−300 million) (2019)|
|₹−1,877 crore (US$−260 million) (2019)|
|Total assets||₹37,705 crore (US$5.3 billion) (2019)|
|Owner||Government of India (100%)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Ministry of Finance , Government of India|
Previously it was a subsidiary of the General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC). But when GIC became a re-insurance company as per the IRDA Act 1999, its four primary insurance subsidiaries New India Assurance, United India Insurance, Oriental Insurance and National Insurance got autonomy, with effect from March 21, 2003.
Twelve Indian insurance companies, four co-operative insurance societies, five foreign insurers with Indian operations and the general insurance operations of the southern region of Life Insurance Corporation of India were merged with United India Insurance Company Limited to form the company.
After nationalization, United India has 14,322 number of workforce spread across 2,248 offices providing insurance cover to more than 10 million policy holders. The Company has a variety of insurance products to provide insurance cover from bullock carts to satellites.
United India has been in the forefront of designing and implementing complex covers to large customers, as in the cases of ONGC Ltd, GMR - Hyderabad International Airport Ltd., Mumbai International Airport Ltd., Tirumala-Tirupati Devasthanam, Kochi Metro Rail Corporation etc. United India has also been the pioneer in taking Insurance to the rural masses with large scale implementation of Universal Health Insurance Programme of Government of India & Vijaya Raji Janani Kalyan Yojana (covering 4.5 million women in the state of Madhya Pradesh), Tsunami Jan Bima Yojana (in 4 states covering 459,000 of families), National Livestock Insurance and many such schemes.
The Gross Domestic Premium for the Financial Year 2019–20 is Rs. 17500 Crore plus.
|Type of Office||Nos.|
|Corporate Learning Centre||1|
|Large Corporate & Brokers Unit (LCB)||8|
|CLASS I||CLASS II||CLASS III||CLASS IV||TOTAL|
- "United India Insurance Company Annual Report 2019" (PDF). moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 14 July 2020.
- India, Bank Exams. "United India Insurance to Start AO Recruitment Soon". Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- The General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Amendment Act, 2002
- Bengal, Government of West. "United India Insurance Company, Ltd". uiic.co.in. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Government Insurance Companies in India – Nationalization and After (United India, National Insurance, LIC, GIC, Oriental Insurance, New India Assurance) | Green World Investor". www.greenworldinvestor.com. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Budget 2018: Merging 3 PSU General Insurers Is Prudent, Says National Insurance CMD". Moneycontrol.