Askeran (Armenian: Ասկերան, Azerbaijani: Əsgəran) is a town de jure in the Khojaly District of Azerbaijan, de facto in the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh as the administrative centre of its Askeran Province. The town has an ethnic Armenian-majority population, and also had an Armenian majority in 1989.
|Country|| Azerbaijan (de jure)|
Artsakh (de facto)
|District||Khojaly (de jure)|
|Province||Askeran (de facto)|
|Elevation||512 m (1,680 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (UTC)|
The Askeran Fortress (Mayraberd), built by the Karabakh Khanate ruler Panah Ali Khan in 1751, is situated in the southern part of the town. During the Russo-Persian War of 1804–1813 the Russian encampment was near the fortress. In 1810 the peace talks between the Russians and Persians were conducted at the fortress. Restoration works on the fortress began in 2018.
In the Russian Empire, Askeran was part of the Shusha Uyezd in the Elisabethpol Governorate. During the Soviet period, the city was the administrative center of the Askeran District, which was a part of the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast in the Azerbaijan SSR.
The population is engaged in agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry. The city is home to factories producing wine, brandy and non-alcoholic drinks, as well as architectural enterprises, secondary and musical schools, a House of Culture, and a hospital.
Walls of the Askeran Fortress
- Андрей Зубов. "Андрей Зубов. Карабах: Мир и Война". drugoivzgliad.com.
- Carney, James. "Former Soviet Union: Carnage in Karabakh." TIME Magazine. April 13, 1992.
- Azerbaijan Soviet Encyclopedia (1980), vol. 4, p. 233.
- John Noble, Michael Kohn, Danielle Systermans. Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan, Lonely Planet, 2008, p. 306
- ArtsakhPress (4 March 2019). "Reconstruction works are being conducted in Askeran fortress". artsakhpress.am.
- "Askeran Fortress-News Ministry of Culture of the republic of Azerbaijan". 24 November 2020.
A few years ago, Armenia began illegal "restoration" work in the fortress of Askeran.
- 2005 թվականի Արցախի Հանրապետության մարդահաշիվ
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Askeran.|
|This Artsakh location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Khojali Rayon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|