Khojaly District (Azerbaijani: Xocalı rayonu) is one of the 66 districts of Azerbaijan. It is located in the west of the country and belongs to the Upper Karabakh Economic Region. The district borders the districts of Kalbajar, Lachin, Shusha, Agdam and Khojavend. Its capital and largest city is Khojaly. As of 2020, the district had a nominal population of 28,800.
Map of Azerbaijan showing Khojaly District
|Established||26 November 1991|
|• Total||1,000 km2 (400 sq mi)|
|• Density||29/km2 (75/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
The centre of the district, the town of Khojaly, was also the site of the Khojaly Massacre, the largest massacre throughout the whole Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Following the massacre, most of the district was captured and made part of the Askeran Province of the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh. Following the 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war, Azerbaijan recaptured some villages in the district, while most of the district, including its capital, was put under Russian peacekeeping control.
Khojaly district was established on the basis of the Askeran District of the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast in 1991. Independence of Azerbaijan 1991 did not spread to this region, since the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast, simultaneously with Azerbaijan, announced its separation from the USSR, as a result of which the Republic of Artsakh appeared, which at the moment is one of the unrecognized states. According to the jurisdiction of the Republic of Artsakh, which controls this region from 1991-1992, it is Askeran Province of the NKR. According to the jurisdiction of Azerbaijan, this is the Khojaly Region of Azerbaijan.
Khojaly district is located in Nagorno-Karabakh, known as Artsakh in Armenian. The territory of the district is mountainous. The highest altitudes are Qirkhqiz and Gizgala, the main rivers are Gargar and Badara.The climate is mild-hot except the mountainous area.
- Ramil Usubov - the current Minister of Internal Affairs of Republic of Azerbaijan.;
- Elman Mammadov - Azerbaijani politician who serves as the Member of National Assembly of Azerbaijan from 124th Shusha-Fuzuli-Khojaly-Khojavend district. He's a veteran of the First Nagorno-Karabakh War.
- Alif Hajiyev - Azerbaijani officer, Commandant of Khojaly Airport and National Hero of Azerbaijan.
- Tofig Huseynov - Azerbaijani army commander.
- Pele Pughi - 18th century Armenian satirist and fabulist.
- "İnzibati-ərazi vahidləri" (PDF). preslib.az. Retrieved 28 February 2021.
- "Population of Azerbaijan". stat.gov.az. State Statistics Committee. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- Электронный бюллетень «Изменения географических названий государств-участников СНГ» (обновлённый по состоянию на 2019 год)
- "Biographies. Ramil Usubov". Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- Elman Mammadov (Autumn 1999). "Running For Our Lives. Massacre and Flight From Khojaly". Azerbaijan International: 54–56. Retrieved 2010-04-27.