Aries (♈) // (meaning "ram") is the first astrological sign in the zodiac, spanning the first 30 degrees of celestial longitude (0°≤ λ <30°). Under the tropical zodiac, the Sun transits this sign from approximately March 20 to April 21 each year. This time duration is exactly the first month of Solar Hejri calendar (Hamal/Farvardin). The symbol of the ram is based on the Chrysomallus, the flying ram that provided the Golden Fleece.
|Duration (tropical, western)||March 20 – April 20 (2018, UT1)|
|Sign ruler||Mars, Pluto (rare)|
|Detriment||Venus, Eris* (questionable)|
According to the tropical system of astrology, the Sun enters the sign of Aries when it reaches the northern vernal equinox, which occurs around March 21. Because the Earth takes approximately 365.25 days to go around the Sun, the precise time of the equinox is not the same each year, and generally will occur about six hours later from one year to the next. February 29 of a leap year causes that year's vernal equinox to fall about eighteen hours earlier compared to the previous year. Since 1900 the vernal equinox date has ranged from March 20 at 08h (2000) GMT to March 21 at 19h (1903) GMT. March 19 at 23:20 will occur in 2044 UT1. In contrast, under the sidereal zodiac, the sun currently transits Aries from April 15 to 14 May (approximately).
Aries is the first fire sign in the zodiac, the other fire signs being Leo and Sagittarius. Individuals born between these dates, depending on which system of astrology they subscribe to, may be called Arians or Ariens.
- "aries". Llewellyn Encyclopedia. 2013.
- Astronomical Applications Department (2011). Multiyear Computer Interactive Almanac. 2.2.2. Washington DC: US Naval Observatory. Longitude of Sun, apparent geocentric ecliptic of date, interpolated to find time of crossing 0°, 30°....
- Atsma, Aaron J. (2015). "Chrysomallus". The Theoi Project: Greek mythology.
- "Equinoxes and solstices". Royal Museums Greenwich. c. 2015. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- Oxford Dictionaries. n.d. Retrieved April 21, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aries (astrology).|