Sagittarius (♐︎) (Greek: Τοξότης Toxótēs, Latin: Sagittarius) is the ninth astrological sign, which is associated with the constellation Sagittarius and spans 240–270th degrees of the zodiac. Under the tropical zodiac, the sun transits this sign between approximately November 23 and December 21. Greek mythology associates Sagittarius with the centaur Chiron, who mentored Achilles, a Greek hero of the Trojan War, in archery.
|Duration (tropical, western)||November 21 – December 21 (2020, UT1)|
|Exaltation||South Node, Chiron (questionable)|
|Fall||North Node, Ceres (questionable)|
Sagittarius, the half human and half horse, is the centaur of mythology, the learned healer whose higher intelligence forms a bridge between Earth and Heaven. Also known as the Archer, Sagittarius is represented by the symbol of a bow and arrow.
Along with Aries and Leo, Sagittarius is a part of the Fire Trigon as well as the last of the reproductive trinity. It also follows Gemini and Virgo as third of the mutable signs, which are the signs that feature changeable quality. When Sagittarius is depicted as an archer, then he is classified as human but when represented as a centaur, he is nonhuman (bestial). However, the classification of the astrological sign as a human or bestial does not carry practical consequences for interpretation.
- Anastasi, Sandy (2013). Astrology: Art and Science. Bloomington, IN: Balboa Press. ISBN 9781452583921.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Astronomical Applications Department (2011). Multiyear Computer Interactive Almanac. 2.2.2. Washington DC: US Naval Observatory.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link) Longitude of Sun, apparent geocentric ecliptic of date, interpolated to find time of crossing 0°, 30°....
- Atsma, Aaron J. (c. 2015). "Kheiron : Greek goddess of justice".CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Leo, Alan (2006). Astrology for All. New York: Cosimo,Inc. ISBN 1596059249.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Lewis, James (2003). The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences. Canton, MI: Visible Ink Press. ISBN 1578591449.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Reid, Lori (2015). The Guide to Astrology. Parragon, flo Street house, 4 Queen Street, Bath BA1 1HU, usa: isaiah. ISBN 9781407511306.CS1 maint: location (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sagittarius (astrology).|
|This astrology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|