Scorpio (♏︎) is the eighth astrological sign in the zodiac, originating from the constellation of Scorpius. It spans 210°–240° ecliptic longitude. Under the tropical zodiac (most commonly used in Western astrology), the Sun transits this sign on average from October 23 to November 21. Depending on which zodiac system one uses, someone born under the influence of Scorpio may be called a Scorpio or a Scorpionic.
|Duration (tropical, western)||October 23 – November 22 (2022, UT1)|
|Sign ruler||Mars (traditional), Pluto (modern)|
|Exaltation||None in traditional, Uranus in modern.|
Scorpio is one of the water signs, the others being Cancer and Pisces. It is a fixed, negative sign. Scorpio is associated with three different animals: the scorpion, the snake, and the eagle. According to The Astrology Bible, Scorpio's colors are deep red, maroon, black, and brown.
Mosaic in Maltezana near Analipsi, Astypalaia, 5th century CE.
- Allen, Richard Hinckley (1899). Star-names and Their Meanings. G.E. Stechert.
- Astronomical Applications Department (2011). Multiyear Computer Interactive Almanac. 2.2.2. Washington DC: US Naval Observatory. Longitude of Sun, apparent geocentric ecliptic of date, interpolated to find time of crossing 0°, 30°....
- Hall, Judy (2005). The Astrology Bible: The Definitive Guide to the Zodiac. New York: Sterling. ISBN 1402727593.
- Lewis, James R. (2003). The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences (2nd ed.). Detroit: Visible Ink Press. ISBN 1578591449.
- "Scorpio". dictionary.com. n.d. Retrieved October 14, 2022.
- Media related to Scorpio at Wikimedia Commons