Agrabad (Bengali: আগ্রাবাদ) is a downtown commercial and financial area in Chittagong, the second largest city of Bangladesh. Located close to the city's harbor, it hosts numerous Bangladeshi and international businesses, banks, financial institutions, and the other commercial entities. The Chittagong Chamber of Commerce & Industry, the World Trade Center and Chittagong Stock Exchange are most prominent of them. The area forms part of the Double Mooring precinct and is directly connected to the Port of Chittagong.
Top view of Agrabad Commercial area
Location map of Agrabad
|Ward||24 & 27|
|• Body||Chittagong City Corporation|
|• MP||M. Abdul Latif|
|• City Mayor||A J M Nasir Uddin|
|Time zone||UTC+06:00 (BST)|
Badamtali, Agrabad Access Road, Sheikh Mujib Road, Sabdar Ali Road etc. are some of the important commercial streets located in central Agrabad. The city's other commercial hubs Strand Road and Sadarghat are also situated nearby.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2013)
The area was originally a village which was incorporated into the city in 1947. After the end of colonial rule, the modern financial district developed during the 1950s.
Many of Bangladesh's largest companies, as well as various multinational firms, have their headquarters or branches located in Agrabad. There are many private commercial banks including AB Bank Limited, Bangladesh Commerce Bank Limited, BRAC Bank Limited, The City Bank Limited, Dhaka Bank Limited, Dutch Bangla Bank Limited, Eastern Bank Limited, IFIC Bank Limited, Mercantile Bank Limited, Mutual Trust Bank Ltd., National Bank Limited, NCC Bank Limited, One Bank Limited, The Premier Bank Limited, Prime Bank Limited, Southeast Bank Limited, Standard Bank Limited, Trust Bank Limited, United Commercial Bank Ltd., Uttara Bank Limited etc.
Some Islamic commercial banks also located at Agrabad they are Islami Bank of Bangladesh Limited, Export Import Bank of Bangladesh Limited, Shahjalal Islami Bank Limited, Al-Arafah Islami Bank Limited.
Major foreign commercial banks located in Agrabad include Citibank NA, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank, Commercial Bank of Ceylon, State Bank of India and National Bank of Pakistan.
There are many Specialized development banks are Bangladesh Krishi Bank, BASIC Bank Limited,
There are also located kinds of Non-bank financial institution, Insurance company, Telecommunication company and others multinational companies are located. Chittagong Chamber of Commerce & Industry, The World Trade Center Chittagong (WTC Chittagong) etc. commercial building located in the Agrabad Commercial Area.
Institutions and structuresEdit
- Government buildings
- BSTI Building
- Bidyut Bhaban
- BTCL Building
- BSCIC Building
- Chittagong Government Office Buildings (CGO)
- Other high-rises
- Aziz Court Imperial
- Banani Complex
- C&F Tower
- Makkah Madina Trade Centre
- World Trade Center Chittagong
- Government Colonis
- Agrabad CGS (Mashjid) Colony, aks Chittagong Government Service Colony
- Agrabad Multi Storied Colony
- Agrabad Government C&B Colony
- Bangladesh Bank Colony
- Bahutola Colony
- Gazetted Officers' Colony
- Health Colony
- Postal Officers' Colony
- P. T. & T. Colony
- WASA Staff Colony
- Shopping Complex
- Akhtaruzzaman Center
- EBL (Eastern Bank Ltd) Street Market
- Lucky Plaza
- New Dubai IT Bhaban
- Southland Center
- Singapore Bangkok Market
- Community Centre
- Agrabad Community Center
- Agrabad Convention Hall
- Guljer Convention Center
- Hotel & Restaurant
The Ethnological Museum established in 1965, is the only ethnological museum in the country. It offers the visitors the chance to acquaint with the lifestyles and heritage of various ethnic groups of the country. The museum authority had collected rare elements used in the everyday lives of different ethnic groups, of which some had already become extinct while some were on the verge of extinction. It contains four galleries and a small hall. Three galleries of the museum feature diverse elements of twenty nine ethnic groups in Bangladesh, while the rest of the gallery displays the lifestyles of some ethnic groups of India, Pakistan and Australia.
The sculptures of the people of different ethnic communities and a piece of broken Berlin Wall attracts visitors, which close to display since 2017. People can get the impression of different festivals, livelihoods, and cultures of the communities from the murals set up at the hall room. These are reminiscent of the museum in the film Planet of the Apes. Around 200–300 people visit the museum every day.
Jamboree Park is the most visited stunning urban park located at SM Morshed Road at central Agrabad. The park offers a dazzling view at night with several hundred lamps on its pool-like body of water and walkways.
Agrabad Deba pool (small body of water in Bengali) is about 14 acres human-made water reservoir is being this place in the Agrabad commercial area beside Sheikh Mujib Road since the last century. The pool is a place for flyfishing, where it arranging fishing competition every year. It was dug for the Bangladesh Railway and employees of the Port of Chittagong as well as the Chittagong city dwellers during the British period to carry out their daily chores and other activities. After the water reservoir owned by the Bangladesh Railway.
Karnaphuli Shishu ParkEdit
Karnaphuli Shishu Park is a recreation park for children located in Jamburi Field near the Bangladesh Bank Colony.
Private medical colleges
Transport in Agrabad is similar to that of the city, Chittagong. Several roads are present throughout the area. There are various bus transport systems and taxi services, as well as smaller 'baby' or 'CNG' taxis, which are basically tricycle-structured motor vehicles. There are also traditional manual rickshaws, which are very common.
The Agrabad Access road and Sheikh Mujib road are a major arterial road, is the main way to access the area by motor vehicle and otherwise. Those are considered a very busy and populated road, and though are currently 2-lane road.
Agrabad Access RoadEdit
Agrabad Access Road is a main commercial road located at Agrabad. It is extended to the south side, between Double Mooring Thana and Halishahar Thana. The road started from Badamtali, and crossed Bepari Para, Shantibag, and Boropool.
Sabdar Ali RoadEdit
Sabdar Ali Road is a main commercial road located at Agrabad commercial area in central Agradad. It is extended to the eastern side, beside Agrabad Access Road. The road started from Badamtali and connected with Commerce College Road with surrounded to the total commercial area.
- "AB Bank Limited - Contacts - Branch Locations". Abbank.com.bd. Archived from the original on 13 June 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Branch Information | Bangladesh Commerce Bank Ltd". Bcblbd.com. Archived from the original on 24 July 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "The City Bank - (Agrabad Branch), 11, Rnlay House, Chittagong | Banks | Page 101". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Mutual Trust Bank Ltd. - Agrabad Branch, Akhtaruzzaman Centre 21-22, Chittagong | Banks | Page 81". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Premier Bank Limited (Agrabad Brunch) - 91, Agrabad Commercial Area, Chittagong | Banks | Page 89". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Standard Bank Limited - Agrabad Branch, Hossen Chamber (Ground Floor), Chittagong | Banks | Page 104". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "United Commercial Bank Ltd. - Agrabad Branch[AD], Kashfia Plaza (1st Floor), Chittagong | Banks | Page 112". DeshiGuide.Com. 23 July 2009. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited - Agrabad Branch, 3, CDA Sheikh Mujib Road, Agrabad, Chittagong | Banks | Page 68". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Exim Bank Ltd ( Agrabad Branch) - Mawla Chember, 6 Agrabad C/A, Chittagong, Chittagong | Banks | Page 55". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Shahjalal Islamic Bank Limited - Agrabad Branch,104, Agrabad C/A, Chittagong, Chittagong | Banks". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Bangladesh Krishi Bank - Agrabad Corporate Branch, Noor Mansion (1st Floor), Chittagong | Banks | Page 30". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Basic Bank Limited - Pine View (Ground floor), 100, Agrabad C/A, Chittagong | Banks | Page 46". DeshiGuide.Com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Aagrabad Hotel". agrabadhotel.com. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "» About Orchid Business Hotel". orchidbusinesshotel.com.
- "Location". Land Mark Hotel.
- "Shangrila - 39, Agrabad C/A, Chittagong - Restaurant - Chinese Cuisine - Page 3 - DESHIGUIDE.COM". deshiguide.com.
- "Karahi Restaurant - 69, Agrabad, Chittagong - Restaurant - Indian Cuisine - Page 2 - DESHIGUIDE.COM". deshiguide.com.
- "Silverspoon - Home". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Chittagong Ethnological Museum". Bangladesh.com. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Rabin Chowdhury (10 September 2018). "Jamboree Park". Daily Sun. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Pranabesh Chakraborty (21 July 2011). "CDA, railway duet with grabbers". The Daily Star. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Karnaphuli Shishu Park in Chittagong, Bangladesh". localyte.com. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- sMs Software (BD), Int. "Mohila College Chattagram :: Home ::". Agrabadmcollege.edu.bd. Archived from the original on 7 June 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Commerce College". Ctgcommercecollege.gov.bd. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-06.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "AGRABAD GOVT. COLONY HIGH SCHOOL, CHITTAGONG". agchs.blogspot.com.
- "Welcome to Bangladesh Bank Colony High School". tsmts.com.
- "Agrabad Access Road". wikimapia.org. Wikimapia. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Agrabad Access Road". bd.geoview.info. bd.geoview.info. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agrabad.|