This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
AdventHealth (formerly Adventist Health System) is a faith-based, non-profit health care system headquartered in Altamonte Springs, Florida, that operates facilities within nine states across the United States. The Adventist Health System was rebranded AdventHealth on January 2, 2019. It is the largest not-for-profit Protestant health care provider and one of the largest non-profit health systems in the nation. It has 45 hospital campuses, more than 8,200 licensed beds in nine states, and serves more than five million patients annually.
|Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, Wisconsin|
Number of employees
|Divisions||Centura Health (partnership with Catholic Health Initiatives)|
At the behest of Ellen G. White, the Seventh-day Adventist Church first established the Western Health Reform Institute in Battle Creek, Michigan, in 1866, to care for the sick as well as to disseminate health instruction. Over the years, other Adventist sanitariums were established around the country. These sanitariums evolved into hospitals, forming the core of Adventists' medical network.
In 1973, the Church decided to centralize the management of its health care institutions on a regional basis and, in so doing, formed AdventHealth to support and strengthen Seventh-day Adventist health care organizations in the Southern and Southwestern regions of the United States.
Ten years later, the regional operations formed a national organization, Adventist Health System.
AdventHealth currently operates 45 hospitals with more than 8,200 licensed beds in nine states, 15 skilled nursing facilities and 36 urgent care locations; serves more than five million patients annually in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room visits; and employs more than 80,000 people.
Philosophy of careEdit
AdventHealth is "extending the healing ministry of Christ". They adhere to a faith-based model called CREATION Health.
AdventHealth's main facility, AdventHealth Orlando, formerly Florida Hospital, was founded in 1908 and is the largest hospital in the United States, according to Becker's Hospital Review. It was ranked the No. 1 hospital in the state of Florida by U.S. News & World Report. Various departments use to rank among "Best Hospitals" according to U.S. News & World Report: cardiology and heart surgery (#44), diabetes and endocrinology (#16), gastroenterology and GI surgery (#33), geriatrics (#28), gynecology (#13), nephrology (#45), neurology and neurosurgery (#38), pulmonology (#42), and urology (#21).
- Gallup Great Workplace Award - AdventHealth has received the Gallup Great Workplace Award for five consecutive years (2011-2015) for creating an engaged workplace culture that drives business outcomes.
- HealthCare's Most Wired - AdventHealth received HealthCare's Most Wired Award two years in a row (2013-2014) for meeting specific IT requirements in four focus areas: infrastructure, business and administrative management, clinical quality and safety, and clinical integration.
- About Us – Adventist Health System. Accessed 2014-04-30
- Gamble, Molly. "15 Largest Nonprofit Health Systems | 2014". www.beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "About Us | About | Adventist Health System". www.adventisthealthsystem.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Adventist Health". Company Histories, www.fundinguniverse.com. Archived from the original on 8 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- "About AHS". Adventist Health System (2014). Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "CREATION Health". www.creationhealth.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- Marshall, Erin. "50 largest hospitals in America | 2015". www.beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Florida Hospital is ranked the #1 Hospital in Florida by U.S. News & World Report". www.floridahospital.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Adventist Health System Wins 2015 Gallup Great Workplace Award | News | Adventist Health System". www.adventisthealthsystem.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Adventist Health System Named 2015 Most Wired | News | Adventist Health System". www.adventisthealthsystem.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.