Elementary school is a school for students in their first school years, where they get primary education before they enter secondary education. The exact ages vary by country. In the United States, elementary schools usually have 6 grades with pupils aged between 6 and 12 years old, but the age can be up to 10 or 14 years old as well. In Japan, the age of pupils in elementary school ranges from 6 to 12, after which the pupils enter junior high school.
Elementary school is usually only one part of compulsory education, especially in Western countries.
Students leave nursery school at 4 years old and start primary school for the next 7 years which would be primary 1 (ages 4 to 5) and so on until primary 7 which would be the last year at primary school (ages 10 to 11) then after that off to high school (ages 11 to 12.)
- Elementary school (England and Wales) were first established in 1870. Most of these schools were converted into Primary schools during the late 1940s.
- Elementary school (United States): were first promoted in 1647 in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Today, there are currently approximately 92,858 elementary schools (68,173 public, 24,685 private)
- Elementary schools in Japan were first established by 1875.
- Snyder, Thomas D.; Hoffman, Charlene M. (2001). Digest of Education Statistics 2001 (pdf). Institute of Education Sciences, Washington: National Center for Education Statistics. p. 7, fig. 1. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- Gerald L. Gutek (14 December 1994). A History of the Western Educational Experience: Second Edition. Waveland Press. p. 203. ISBN 978-1-4786-3010-4. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "Historical Timeline of Public Education in the US". Race Forward. 2006-04-13. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Digest of Education Statistics, 2001" (PDF). National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
- "The Establishment of Elementary Schools and Attendance". JAPAN'S MODERN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM. Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
|Wikisource has the text of The New Student's Reference Work article about Elementary school.|