Action Hero Biju
Action Hero Biju is a 2016 Indian Malayalam-language comedy drama film directed, co-written and co-produced by Abrid Shine. The film chronicles the professional life of Biju Paulose (Nivin Pauly), a sub-inspector in Kochi City Police. Nivin jointly produced the film with Shine and Shibu Thekkumpuram. It was co-written by Muhammad Shafeeq and Shine. Jerry Amaldev composed the original songs, while Rajesh Murugesan composed score. Principal photography began in May 2015 and ended in October 2015.
|Action Hero Biju|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Abrid Shine|
|Produced by||Nivin Pauly|
|Written by||Abrid Shine|
|Narrated by||Lal Jose|
|Cinematography||Alex J. Pulickal|
Pauly Jr. Pictures
Full On Studios
|Distributed by||LJ Films|
|Box office||est. ₹30 crore|
After being postponed several times, Action Hero Biju was released in Kerala on 4 February 2016 and rest of India the following day. The film was a commercial success at the box office.
The story opens as sub-inspector Biju Poulose (Nivin Pauly) is informed of the location of a few wanted criminals in his jurisdiction. As he corners and apprehends them, he gets injured when one of the criminals stabs him. The story cuts back to a month before the incident when Biju and other officers handle a series of different types of complaints and cases, petty and major, that is registered at the police station.
Biju receives a call from the hospital informing him of a twelve-year-old girl who gets mauled by a dog when she tried to pluck some fruits from a highly influential businessman's house. Eyewitnesses report that the businessman had purposely let the dog out and Biju sets out to his house to arrest the said person. However, some local politicians try to use their political power to avoid the registration of the case and Biju refuses to do so. Biju tracks the culprit to a club and arrests him.
The next complaint tackled is lodged by a lady who is yet to receive her pending salary. When Biju tries to mediate a negotiation between the employers and the lady, the employers act callously which enrages Biju. He threatens them by shutting down their company for registration inaccuracies if the dues are not paid and the employers immediately comply.
Later, Biju encounters a case of suicide attempt and missing of a Navy personnel who goes after to rescue the woman and child. During the subsequent search operation, he and his sub-ordinates manage to save the life of the woman but the child dies as the people who rescued the child from the river thought she died and emergency services didn't take her to the hospital on time. This emotionally affects Biju and the search for the missing Navy man fails. Throughout the course of the next few days, he handles different types of cases including that of an auto driver who stalks a woman he loves, bikers without helmet and a drunkard who steals a wireless-set from a careless police officer.
When investigating a substance abuse and battering case by an adolescent he goes after the rising narcotic sales that targets school children, he discovers a group of teenagers purchasing marijuana from a notorious criminal during random vehicle checks. He arrests them in the presence of the magistrate and takes them to police station and uses third degree interrogation on the criminal and informs the parents of the teenagers. Biju after giving warnings lets them off without registering the case to avoid spoiling their future. Later he solves a case regarding eloping of a timid Pavithran's wife with their daughter.
Biju tackles a case assigned by his superiors whereby some jewelries stolen from a house. Deducing from the clues and circumstances, Biju suspects the housemaid is the thief. He visits her and during interrogation, finds flaws in her alibi. They confirm her as the culprit and arrests her. Meeting her husband and children, a child is a respected SPC student cadet whom he knows; Biju faces moral dilemma when he comes to know the mother did it to pay school fees. Biju half-heartedly follows the law and takes her to station. The film cuts back to the scene in the beginning of the movie. Through an informant he finds out the location of a murderer and his cohorts in hiding. While pursuing to arrest, gets stabbed by one of them. Biju successfully manages to prevent them from escaping until the rest of the police force arrives.
As he is treated for his wounds in the hospital, he jokes with his fiancée that injuries are common in his occupation and that she is free to marry someone else. Later, it is shown that he survived and that he is apprehending another gang of criminals. In the middle of this his father calls and informs him that his wife has given birth to a daughter. He joyfully receives the news but continues his assigned task of arresting the criminals. A voice over briefs that Biju is not a superhero but one of the many dedicated police officers in the state.
- Nivin Pauly as Sub-Inspector Biju Poulose a.k.a. Biju
- Anu Emmanuel as Benitta Dominic a.k.a. Kunjumol
- Major Ravi as Commissioner Rajasekhar IPS
- Saiju Kurup as Circle-Inspector Manoj Mathew
- Joju George as Head Constable Minimon
- Parvathi T as Benitta's mother
- Rony David as Constable Subair
- Sreeja Das as Constable Mariya Joseph
- Prajod Kalabhavan as Constable Nrupan
- Suraj Venjaramoodu as Pavithran
- Rohini as Bhavathi
- Meghanathan as Rajendran, Bhavathi's Husband
- Suresh Thampanoor as drunkard/singer
- Jude Anthany Joseph as Shinto
- Abhija Sivakala as Pavithran's wife
- Kochu Preman as Benitta's relative
- Sajan Palluruthy as Kumar
- Balachandran Chullikkadu as Biju's father
- Valsala Menon as Benitta's relative
- Devi Ajith as Rizwan's mother
- Ambika Mohan as Benitta's relative
- Jayashri Sivadas as SPC cadet leader
- Vinduja Menon as Hari's wife
- Azees Nedumangad as a card player
- Madan Mohan as the Navy witness
- Madhu Mohan as DYSP of Police
- Bobby Mohan as Dominic
- Manju Vani as Sherly
In August 2014, after the success of Shine's debut film 1983, Shine announced his next project, Action Hero Biju, would star Nivin Pauly. It was reported that Nivin, Abrid and Shibu Thekkumpuram would both produce the film under Pauly's production banner Pauly.Jr Pictures and Shine's Full on Studios. From scripting to post-production it almost took two years and the scripting of the film taken ten months to complete which Abrid collaborated with Muhammed Shefeeq.
It was earlier reported that Nivin Pauly will be seen as a police officer in the film. For the role Nivin took physical training and workouts, special fighting classes and followed special diets to gain more weight and followed workout regimens, to fit the role of a police officer, he spent time with police officers to understand the real feel of a police and to make it realistic.
About the title, the director says "The title, Action Hero Biju, stems from my interest in narrating a common man's story. Biju is an extremely common and secular name in Kerala and I felt it has cuteness about it. My film tells the story of a common man who becomes a brave cop, and I felt the title is a perfect fit". He also explained "The film is a light take on policing, it is not the hardcore police kind of story – it is a mix of humour and action. It is about a police sub-inspector’s heroism. We see the world through his eyes – we experience his views, experiences and emotions". The title was announced in September 2014.
Casting and crewEdit
Nivin Pauly was selected to play the title character of the film sub-inspector Biju. Anu who made her debut as a child artist in Swapna Sanchari (2011) was placed to play the female lead, who was suggested by her father and producer Thankachan Emmanuel.
In July 2015 director Jude Antony Joseph signed to play a minor role in the film. Joju George, Saiju Kurup, Kalabhavan Prajod, and Major Ravi were confirmed to do police roles. Suraj Venjaramoodu and Jayasree who worked on 1983 was called to act in the film, in addition around 35 actors were selected to play smaller roles in the film. Suresh Thampanoor was introduced in the film by Abrid when he saw a small WhatsApp video clip of Suresh performance, he was totally impressed and Suresh was into the film.
The Cinematography was given to Alex J. Pulickal, background score to Rajesh Murugesan and lyrics were written by Santosh Varma and Harinarayanan. The veteran music director Jerry Amaldev composed the music for the film, he composed songs for the film after a long break of 20 years. Editing for the film was panned by Manoj, while sound designer was Raja Krishnan, whereas art direction by M Bawa and costume design by Remya Suresh.
Filming began in May 2015. The film was shot in Fort Kochi in Kerala. When Anu Emmanuel came for the filming almost 50 per cent of the project was shot. Filming was wrapped up in October 2015 in Kochi and was given for post-production in November.
The soundtrack for the film was composed by Jerry Amaldev after a long break of 20 years. Rajesh Murugesan composed the background score of the film while Santhosh Varma and BK Harinarayanan wrote the lyrics. Satyam Audios own the audio rights of the film and was released in YouTube by Satyam Audios itself. The film features 4 tracks. The tracks for the film were recorded in Yesudas's studio in Chennai and were mastered in New York City. Jerry Amaldev was chosen to compose the songs for the film by Abrid. Abrid met Jerry at his house a few months before the filming where he told Jerry that "he is tired of electronic music and is looking for some good melodies and acoustic instrumented songs".
Suresh Thampanoor who also acted in the film as a drunkard sung the song "Muthe Ponne Pinangalle" which is a folk song, was also composed and wrote by him it was released on 11 February 2016. The song became viral on social media and received good reviews. Pookkal Panineer Pookkal sung by KJ Yesudas and Vani Jayaram, is a duet which Jerry started working on it in November 2015. Jerry Amaldev used acoustic instruments only for all songs. Long ago Jerry heard a Young India gramophone version of Vande Mataram which was composed by Rabindranath Tagore. It was a monophonic composition and had a chorus he added the song to the film by adding a small difference. It was sung in the film by Swetha Mohan.
|1.||"Pookkal Panineer"||Santhosh Varma||K J Yesudas, Vani Jayaram||4:23|
|2.||"Oonjalilaadi Vanna"||Santhosh Varma||Chinmayi, Jerry Amaldev||4:14|
|3.||"Chiriyo Chiri"||Santhosh Varma||Vineeth Sreenivasan, Vaikom Vijayalakshmi||3:27|
|4.||"Hara Hara"||BK Harinarayanan||Suchith Suresan, Jerry Amaldev||4:00|
|5.||"Muthe Ponne Pinangalle"||V Suresh Thampanoor||V Suresh Thampanoor||1:40|
|6.||"Vande Mataram (Cover)"||Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay||Swetha Mohan||1:59|
The film released on 4 February 2016 in 131 screens in Kerala and in 116 screens in rest of India and in more than 10 screens in the United States on 5 February. It released on 68 screens in United Arab Emirates on 25 February 2016. The film was distributed by LJ Films of Indian film director Lal Jose. Daiwik Films distributed the film in UAE. Action Hero Biju was released on DVD, and VCD by Sathyam Audios on 24 May 2016.
Veeyen of Nowrunning.com lauded the film. He states that "the cinematic reconstruction of the life of a police officer that Abrid Shine attempts in 'Action Hero Biju' is efficient to the core, and the craft elements on display exceptional. The mother of all gambles that the film indulges in - of keeping conventionalities at bay - makes it a level-headed film that traverses the rugged planes of law, justice, truth and life with consummate ease."
Arathi Kannan of Malayala Manorama rated of 3.5/5 and said "With a salute to the cops, who sweat their ways through their duties and moral obligations, Abrid Shine leaves a sparkling note of thanks before the screen blackout."
The film grossed ₹1.59 crore (US$230,000) on its first day in Kerala and ₹4.38 crore (US$630,000) after 5 days. It opened well in Tamil Nadu, grossing ₹18.63 lakh (US$27,000) in the opening day from more than 12 screens, which is the highest opening gross for a Malayalam film there. The film grossed an estimated total of ₹30 crore (US$4.3 million) worldwide. The film ran over 100 days in theatres.
- "Nivin Pauly turns Producer". Malayala Manorama.
- "Nivin Pauly won't give in, 'Action Hero Biju' can wait". ManoramaOnline.
- "Action Hero Biju | British Board of Film Classification". bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Top 10 highest grossing Mollywood movies of 2016..." Malayala Manorama. 5 December 2016.
- Nair, Aneesh (20 June 2016). "Mollywood's half-yearly report card is out. Guess who has beaten 'em all". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
...went on to run for 100 days at a stretch and minted over Rs. 30 crore in the process.
- TNN (12 May 2015). "Nivin turns producer with Action Hero Biju". Times of India. The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Vijay George (3 July 2015). "Ready, set ... action!". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Shilpa Nair Anand (28 January 2016). "Nivin is back in action". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Riya Datson (19 February 2016). "The 'Action hero'". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Action Hero Biju". The Hindu. 5 February 2016. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Akhila Menon (7 October 2015). "Nivin Pauly's Special Training For Action Hero Biju". FilmiBeat. Filmibeat.com. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- Times News Network (9 September 2014). "Nivin Pauly will don khaki in Abrid Shine's action film". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- Moviebuzz (8 September 2014). "Nivin as Action Hero Biju". Sify. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Sachin Jose (30 October 2015). "Nivin Pauly wraps up Abrid Shine's 'Action Hero Biju'". International Business Times. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Asha Prakash (16 September 2015). "Anu Immanuel in Action Hero Biju? - Times of India". Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Aravind K S. "Action filled comeback". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Deepika Jayaram (7 October 2015). "A nostalgic romantic number featuring Nivin and Anu". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Athira M (9 January 2016). "Joju's joy ride in tinsel town". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Saranya S Nair (2 March 2016). "Lines of Glory". The Indian Express. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- ടോണി മാത്യു (Tony Mathew) (4 February 2016). "ആക്ഷൻ സീറോ, റിയാലിറ്റി ഹീറോ". Manorama Online. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Asha Prakash. "Sai Pallavi is not Nivin's heroine". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Deepika Jayaram (31 October 2015). "Shooting of Action Hero Biju winds up". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Aravind K S (15 November 2015). "Action Biju to release in January". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Anjana George (25 January 2015). "The Sanskrit song in Action Hero Biju". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- K. Pradeep (21 January 2016). "CALLING the tune". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Akhila Menon (21 January 2016). "Action Hero Biju First Song Review: It's A Gem!". Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- 26 March 2016. "Striking a Right Comeback Chord". New Indian Express. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Athira M (26 February 2016). "On a high". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Anu James (11 February 2016). "Watch the song 'Muthe Ponne Pinangalle' from Nivin Pauly's 'Action Hero Biju' [VIDEO]". International Business Times. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Anu James (24 February 2016). "'Action Hero Biju' actors Mary, Baby, Shine, Baiju thank Nivin Pauly and Abrid Shine [VIDEO]". International Business Times. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Anu James (4 March 2016). "'Action Hero Biju' celebrity review: Celebs call Nivin Pauly starrer a clean entertainer". International Business Times. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Anu James (6 February 2016). "Action Hero Biju box office collection: Nivin Pauly starrer gets fabulous response on opening day". International Business Times. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Action Hero Biju (2016) – Malayalam Movie in Abu Dhabi | Abu Dhabi - Information Portal". www.abudhabi2.com. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Nishad Padiyarath (24 February 2016). "Nivin Pauly starrer Action Hero Biju set for record release in GCC". Times of Oman. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Express Features (1 February 2016). "Lal Jose to Team up With Mohanlal, Sreenivasan". New Indian Express. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Times News Service (30 March 2016). "Nivin Pauly to celebrate success of Action Hero Biju in UAE". Times of Oman. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Action Hero Biju (in Malayalam), Satyam, retrieved 24 July 2016
- Veeyen. "Action Hero Biju Review". Nowrunning. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Kannan, Arathi. "Action Hero Biju: 'Guards' up". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- James, Anu. "'Action Hero Biju' 5-day box office: Will Nivin Pauly starrer repeat 'Premam' success in Tamil Nadu?". Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Action Hero Biju: Nivin Pauly, Abrid Shine And Others Celebrate Film's 100 Days Of Run!". Filmibeat.com. 14 May 2016.