Rohini Molleti, known professionally as Rohini, is an Indian actress, screenwriter, and lyricist. She has mainly acted in Malayalam,Telugu, Tamil films along with few Kannada films. Having started her acting career at five, she has about 130 south Indian films to her credit. She received National Award of Special Mention and Andhra Pradesh state Nandi Special Jury Award for Best Performance in 1995 for the film Stri.
|Years active||1976—1995; 2004—present|
(m. 1996; div. 2004)
A native of Anakapalli, Andhra Pradesh, Rohini spent all her childhood in Chennai. Her father Appa Rao Naidu was a panchyat officer and mother Radha was a housewife. Her father always wanted to become an actor, though he couldn't be an actor he encouraged his daughter to become an actress and he fulfilled his ambition through his daughter. Her mother died when she was five years old and father remarried later.
She was married to actor Raghuvaran in 1996. The couple have a son Rishi Varan, born in 2000. The couple divorced in 2004.
She started her career in 1976 as a child actress. She was first seen as a wide-eyed five year old in Yashoda Krishna, a Telugu film. She is also a popular dubbing artist in the Telugu and Tamil industries. She has voiced six characters in five of Mani Ratnam's films. She lent her voice to actresses like Jyothika (Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu), Aishwarya Rai (Iruvar and Raavanan), Manisha Koirala (Bombay) and Amala (Shiva). She has also dubbed for Girija Shettar in Geethanjali.
She wrote lyrics for the Tamil film Pachaikili Muthucharam, before ending another hiatus by writing all songs in the album, Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathilaey. Her acting skills were recognized and she was given the Kalaimamani award recently.
She writes episodes for Tamil TV serials. She started writing scripts for TV series way back in 1996, and has adapted the Sahithya Academy Award winning novel Verukku Neer for a tele film in 2005. She hosted the live TV talk show Kelvigal Aayiram for Vijay TV, which she said "dealt with issues close to my heart". She moderated the Tamil programme Azhagiya Tamizh Magal on Kalaignar TV and has worked as the anchor of Raj TV's show, Rohini's Box Office in which she reviewed the latest releases.
Being an activist for AIDS awareness, Rohini has also directed short films for M.G.R. Medical University and Tamil Nadu Aids Control Society. In 2008, Rohini had directed a 50-minute documentary Silent Hues about film industry's Child actresss, she being one herself. In 2013, she has directed a feature film Appavin Meesai which is yet to be released.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Aadambaralu Anubandalu||Telugu||Child actress|
|Intinti Katha||Telugu||Child actress|
|1975||Yashoda Krishna||Krishna||Telugu||Child actress|
|Amma Naana||Telugu||Child actress|
|Anna Thammulla Anubandam||Telugu||Child actress|
|Raktha Sambandalu||Telugu||Child actress|
|Challani Thalli||Telugu||Child actress|
|1976||Bhakta Kannappa||Telugu||Child actress|
|Mayor Meenakshi||Tamil||Child actress|
|Mahakavi Kshetrayya||Lord Krishna||Telugu||Child actress|
|1977||Adavi Ramudu||Gowri (Dumb girl)||Telugu||Child actress|
|Khaidhi Kalidasu||Telugu||Child actress|
|Oke Raktham||Telugu||Child actress|
|Ee Tharam Manishi||Telugu||Child actress|
|Jeevana Theeralu||Telugu||Child actress|
|Chiranjeevi Rambabu||Rambabu||Telugu||Child actress|
|1978||Nayudu Bava||Telugu||Child actress|
|Thalle Challani Dhaivam||Telugu||Child actress|
|Chilipi Krishnudu||Telugu||Child actress|
|Cheyyethi Jai Kottu||Telugu||Child actress|
|1979||Maavari Manchitanam||Telugu||Child actress|
|Laxmi Pooja||Telugu||Child actress|
|Shri Vinayaka Vijayamu||Telugu||Child actress|
|Talli Deevena||Raji||Telugu||Child actress|
|1981||Nyayam Kavali||Saroja||Telugu||Child actress|
|Illalu||Singer in bus||Telugu||Child actress|
|Subbarao Ki Kopam Vachhindi||-||Telugu|
|Bhakta Dhruva Markandeya||Turuchi||Telugu|
|Parvaiyin Marupakkam||Viswanathan's daughter||Tamil|
|Maga Maharaju||Raju's sister||Telugu|
|1984||Thirakil Alpa Samayam||Amina||Malayalam|
|Parannu Parannu Parannu||Mini / Jessy / Sreekutty||Malayalam|
|Oru Kochu Swapnam||-||Malayalam|
|Arante Mulla Kochu Mulla||Rohini||Malayalam|
|1985||Adhyayam Onnu Muthal||Rema||Malayalam|
|Gayathridevi Ente Amma||Priya||Malayalam|
|Ee Thanalil Ithiri Neram||Leena||Malayalam|
|Ivide Ee Theerathu||Sreedevi||Malayalam|
|Oru Sandesam Koodi||Rema||Malayalam|
|Ee Lokam Ivide Kure Manushyar||Sheela||Malayalam|
|Ee Shabdam Innathe Shabdam||Pushpa||Malayalam|
|1986||Ponnum Kudathinum Pottu||Rani||Malayalam|
|1986||Karyam Kananayoru Kallachiri||Malayalam|
|1986||Thaaiku Oru Thaalaattu||Chellam||Tamil|
|1987||Onnaam Maanam Poomaanam||Rajasree||Malayalam|
|1987||January Oru Orma||Maina||Malayalam|
|1987||Achuvettante Veedu||Aswathy Nair||Malayalam|
|1987||Chamundeshwari Pooja Mahime||Kumari Malathi||Kannada|
|1988||Jadi Ketha Moodi||Gayathri||Tamil|
|1988||Onninu Purake Mattonnu||Sudha||Malayalam|
|1989||Kali Kaaryamayi-Crime Branch||Sunitha||Malayalam|
|1989||Naa Mogudu Naake Sontham||Swathi||Telugu|
|1991||Thanthu Vitten Ennai||Surya||Tamil|
|1992||Rendu Pondatti Kaavalkaaran||Rukmini||Tamil|
|1994||CID Unnikrishnan B.A., B.Ed.||Arundathi Nair/ Revathy Nair||Malayalam|
|1995||Stri||Telugu||National Film Award – Special Mention|
|2007||Naalaiya Pozhuthum Unnodu||Nagai||Tamil|
|2007||Onbadhu Roobai Nottu||Kameela||Tamil|
|2007||Rock & Roll||Nirmala||Malayalam|
13B: Fear Has a New Address
|2009||2 Harihar Nagar||Sulochana||Malayalam|
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Sulochana||Malayalam|
|2010||Pen Singam||Surya's mother||Tamil|
|2010||Moscowin Kavery||Dance Teacher||Tamil|
|2010||Nandalala||Mentally ill woman||Tamil|
|2011||City of God||Lakshmi||Malayalam|
|2011||Innanu Aa Kalyanam||Lillykutty||Malayalam|
|2012||Shiva Manasulo Shruti||Shiva's mother||Telugu|
|2012||Diamond Necklace||Dr. Savithri||Malayalam|
|2012||18 Vayasu||Dr. Suchithra||Tamil|
|2013||Thirumathi Thamizh||Thamizhselvan's mother||Tamil|
|2013||Black Butterfly||Benny's mother||Malayalam|
|2013||Jagadguru Adi Shankara||Sankara's mother||Telugu|
|2013||Anthaka Mundu Aa Tarvatha||Sujatha||Telugu|
|2014||Kotha Janta||Sirish's Mother||Telugu|
|2014||Oka Laila Kosam||Nandana's mother||Telugu|
|2014||Chinnadana Nee Kosam||Nandhini's mother||Telugu|
|2014||Ormayundo Ee Mukham||Vasundhara Devi||Malayalam|
|2015||Sir C. P.||Kochu Mary||Malayalam|
|2015||Baahubali: The Beginning||Shivudu / Shiva's mother (Sanga)||Telugu/Tamil|
|2016||Nenu Sailaja||Sailaja's mother||Telugu|
|2016||Action Hero Biju||Bhavathi||Malayalam|
|2016||Balle Vellaiyathevaa||Sakthi's mother||Tamil|
|2016||Achamindri||Tamizh Selvi, Lawyer||Tamil|
|2017||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion||Shivudu / Shiva's mother (Sanga)||Telugu
|2017||Role Models||Shreya's mother||Malayalam|
|2017||Juliet Lover of Idiot||Vara's mother||Telugu|
|2017||Okka Kshanam||Jeeva's mother||Telugu|
|2018||Rangasthalam||Chitti Babu's mother||Telugu|
|2018||Abhi & Anu
Abhiyude Katha Anuvinteyum
|2018||Goli Soda 2||Inbavalli's mother||Tamil|
|2018||Chi La Sow||Latha||Telugu|
|2019||Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy||Padmamma||Telugu|
|2019||Thipparaa Meesam||Lalita, Mani's mother||Telugu|
|2019||Market Raja MBBS||Latha||Tamil|
|2019||Iddari Lokam Okate||Varsha's mother||Telugu|
|2020||V||Sreelata, Apoorva's mother||Telugu|
|2021||Rang De||Sailaja, Anu's mother||Telugu|
|2021||Nootokka Jillala Andagaadu||GSN's mother||Telugu|
|2021||Navarasa (web series)||Vaalambal||Tamil|
|2021||Yennanga Sir Unga Sattam||Badhrakali||Tamil|
|2021||Varudu Kaavalenu||Aakash's mother||Telugu|
|2022||Freedom Fight||Dhanalakshmi||Malayalam||Segment : "Old Age Home"|
|2022||Ante Sundaraniki||Sundar's mother||Telugu|
|2022||Atithi Devo Bhava||Abhi's mother||Telugu|
|2022||10th Class Diaries||Telugu|
|2022||Sita Ramam||Reporter Vijayalakshmi||Telugu|
|2023||Ajayante Randam Moshanam||Malayalam||Filming|
- 2007 - Pachaikili Muthucharam (Unakkul Naane)
- 2009 - Villu (Jalsa)
- 2010 - Mundhinam Paartheney (Maya, Kanavena)
- 2012 - Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathilaey (all songs)
- 2013 - 11th Chennai International Film Festival Anthem (Song composed by Prakash Nikki)
- 2020 - Galatta kalyanam (murali mogha) (Song composed by A.R.Rahman)
- 1995 - Chinna Chinna Aasai - Ganga (Sun tv)
- 2008 - Silent Hues (documentary film)
As playback singerEdit
- Chinna Chinna Aasai - Ganga (Sun TV (India) ) acted and directed
- Kelvigal Aayiram (Vijay TV) as Host
- Azhagiya Tamizh Magal (Kalaignar TV) as Moderator
- Rohini's Box Office (Raj TV) as Host
- Kelvigal Neram (Vendhar TV) as Host
- Geethanjali - Telefilm (Doordarshan) as Writer
- Engae Aval- Actress
- Nerukku Neer - Telefilm (Doordarshan) Screenplay and lyrics
- Kadha Ithu Vare (Mazhavil Manorama) as Host
- Ugram Ujjwalam Season 2 Grand Finale as Judge
- Comedy Stars season 2 (Asianet) as Judge
- Red Carpet (Amrita TV) as Mentor
- "Welcome To Amrita TV - Super Dancer Junior 3". Amritatv.com. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Rohini makes documentary film on child artists". The Hindu. 9 January 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "43rd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Documentary on child artists". IndiaGlitz. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Metro Plus Hyderabad / Profiles : Actor with substance". The Hindu. 14 September 2010. Archived from the original on 22 September 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "മകന് എന്നും ചിരിച്ചുകൊണ്ട് ഉറങ്ങണം".
- "ഈ ജീവിതം മകനുവേണ്ടി..." mangalamvarika.com. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Baradwaj Rangan (25 August 2011). "Roles of a lifetime". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Rohini's Meesai". Behindwoods. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Girl power, Tamil style!". Rediff. 8 April 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Gupta, Rinku (22 August 2011). "Rohini returns to TV". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Exploring 'fragile world' of child actors". The Hindu. 17 February 2008. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "I cannot do a film like Thuppakki, Rohini, Appavin Meesai". Behindwoods. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "నంది అవార్డు విజేతల పరంపర (1964–2008)" [A series of Nandi Award Winners (1964–2008)] (PDF). Information & Public Relations of Andhra Pradesh (in Telugu). Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- "Chinna Chinna Aasai - Ganga". Pyramid Plus.
- http://www.mangalam.com/mangalam-varika/243988?page=0,0[dead link]