36th Berlin International Film Festival
The 36th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held 14–25 February 1986. The festival opened with Ginger and Fred by Federico Fellini, which played out of competition at the festival. The Golden Bear was awarded to West German film Stammheim directed by Reinhard Hauff.
|Opening film||Ginger and Fred|
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Stammheim)|
|No. of films||313 films|
|Festival date||14–25 February 1986|
The retrospective was in honour of German actress and film producer Henny Porten and the homage was dedicated to American film director Fred Zinnemann. Claude Lanzmann's 9 hour long documentary film Shoah about The Holocaust was screened at the Young Filmmakers Forum (renamed the International Forum of New Cinema in 1987).
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Gina Lollobrigida, actress (Italy) - Jury President
- Rudi Fehr, editor (United Kingdom)
- Lindsay Anderson, director (United Kingdom)
- August Coppola, academic (United States)
- Werner Grassmann, producer, director and screenwriter (West Germany)
- Otar Iosseliani, director and screenwriter (Soviet Union)
- Norbert Kückelmann, director and screenwriter (West Germany)
- Françoise Maupin, journalist and film critic (France)
- Rosaura Revueltas, actress (Mexico)
- Naoki Togawa, writer and co-founder of Polska Szkoła Filmowa (Poland)
- Jerzy Toeplitz, film critic (Japan)
Films in competitionEdit
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Love Me!||Älska mej||Kay Pollak||Sweden|
|Anne Trister||Anne Trister||Léa Pool||Canada|
|At Close Range||At Close Range||James Foley||USA|
|Dawn||L'Aube||Miklós Jancsó||France, Israel|
|The Berlin Affair||Interno Berlinese||Liliana Cavani||Italy, West Germany|
|Caravaggio||Caravaggio||Derek Jarman||United Kingdom|
|Camorra||Un complicato intrigo di donne, vicoli e delitti||Lina Wertmüller||Italy|
|My First Two Hundred Years||Első kétszáz évem||Gyula Maár||Hungary|
|Flight North||Flucht in den Norden||Ingemo Engström||West Germany, Finland|
|Gilsoddeum||Im Kwon-taek||South Korea|
|The House on the River||Das Haus am Fluß||Roland Gräf||East Germany|
|Heidenlöcher||Wolfram Paulus||Austria, West Germany|
|The Smile of the Lamb||Hiuch HaGdi||Shimon Dotan||Israel|
|Hour of the Star||A Hora da Estrela||Suzana Amaral||Brazil|
|The Mass Is Ended||La messa è finita||Nanni Moretti||Italy|
|My Brother-in-law Killed My Sister||Mon beau-frère a tué ma sœur||Jacques Rouffio||France|
|Pas în doi||Dan Pița||Romania|
|The Journey of a Young Composer||Akhalgazrda kompozitoris mogzauroba||Georgiy Shengelaya||Soviet Union|
|Red Kiss||Rouge Baiser||Véra Belmont||France, West Germany|
|My Darling, My Darling||Skapa moya, skapi moy||Eduard Zahariev||Hungary, Bulgaria|
|Stammheim||Reinhard Hauff||West Germany|
|Teo el pelirrojo||Paco Lucio||Spain|
|Trouble in Mind||Trouble in Mind||Alan Rudolph||USA|
|Gonza the Spearman||Yari no gonza||Masahiro Shinoda||Japan|
Out of competitionEdit
- Ginger and Fred, directed by Federico Fellini (Italy, France, West Germany)
- Heilt Hitler!, directed by Herbert Achternbusch (West Germany)
- Out of Africa, directed by Sydney Pollack (USA)
- L'Unique, directed by Jérôme Diamant-Berger (France)
- The Journey of Natty Gann, directed by Jeremy Kagan (USA)
- To Live and Die in L.A., directed by William Friedkin (USA)
- Karins ansikte, directed by Ingmar Bergman (Sweden)
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: Stammheim by Reinhard Hauff
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: La messa è finita by Nanni Moretti
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Georgiy Shengelaya for Akhalgazrda kompozitoris mogzauroba
- Silver Bear for Best Actress:
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Tuncel Kurtiz for Hiuch HaGdi
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Caravaggio
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Yari no gonza
- Honourable Mention: Pas în doi
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1986". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "36th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 28 December 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "BERLIN FILM FESTIVAL – 1986". americancinemapapers.com. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1986". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "JURIES 1986". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE 1986". Retrieved 6 June 2020.