The Silver Bear for Best Director (German: Silberner Bär/Bester Regie) is an award presented annually at the Berlin International Film Festival since 1956. It is given for the best achievement in directing and is chosen by the International Jury from the films in the Competition slate at the festival.
|Silver Bear for Best Director|
|Silberner Bär/Beste Regie (German)|
|Awarded for||Best Achievement in Direction|
|Presented by||Berlin International Film Festival|
|Currently held by||Philippe Garrel |
The Plough (2023)
At the 6th Berlin International Film Festival held in 1956, Robert Aldrich was the first winner of this award for his work on Autumn Leaves, and Philippe Garrel is the most recent winner in this category for his work on The Plough at the 73rd Berlin International Film Festival in 2023.
The award was first presented in 1956. The prize was not awarded on five occasions (1969, 1971, 1973–74, and 1981). In 1970, no awards were given as the festival was called off mid-way due to the controversy over official selection film, o.k. by Michael Verhoeven, which led to the resignation of the international jury. Mario Monicelli has received the most awards in this category, with three. Satyajit Ray is the only director to win the award in consecutive years, for Mahanagar (1964) and Charulata (1965). One directing team has shared the award: Michael Winterbottom and Mat Whitecross for The Road to Guantánamo (2006). Astrid Henning-Jensen was the first woman to have won the award, for 1979's Winterborn.
|#||Indicates Ex-aequo winners|
The following individuals received two or more Best Director awards:
|3||Mario Monicelli||Italy||Fathers and Sons (1957), |
Caro Michele (1976),
Il Marchese del Grillo (1982)
|2||Satyajit Ray||India||Mahanagar (1964), |
|Carlos Saura||Spain||The Hunt (1966), |
Peppermint Frappé (1968)
|Richard Linklater||United States||Before Sunrise (1995), |
- ^ Best Samurai Movies of All Time, Ranked - MovieWeb
- ^ Jean-Luc Godard, Enfant Terrible of Modern French Cinema, Dies at 91|The Hollywood Reporter
- ^ 8 Movies That Have Gotten Martin Scorsese's Seal of Approval - MovieWeb
- ^ Hong Sang-soo's latest film to compete at this year's Berlin film fest - Yonhap News Agency
- ^ Berlin Film Festival Awards: ‘Alcarràs’ Wins Golden Bear, Claire Denis Named Best Director - Deadline
- ^ Scott Roxborough (25 February 2023). "Berlin: French Documentary 'On the Adamant' Wins Golden Bear for Best Film". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 February 2023.