2020 coronavirus pandemic in South America
This article is about a current disease pandemic where information can change quickly or be unreliable. The latest page updates may not reflect the most up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic was confirmed to have reached South America in February 2020. As of 13 March, all countries in South America, and the French overseas department of French Guiana, had been infected with at least one case. The Falkland Islands (a British Overseas Territory) has not reported any cases. In addition, the ABC islands of the Kingdom of the Netherlands may also be considered part of South America.
|First outbreak||Wuhan, China|
|Index case||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Arrival date||26 February 2020|
Pandemic by countryEdit
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Brazil||3,477||93||6||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Brazil|||
|Chile||1,610||5||33||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Chile|||
|Ecuador||1,595||36||3||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Ecuador|||
|Peru||635||11||4||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Peru|||
|Argentina||589||13||72||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Argentina|||
|Colombia||539||8||10||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Colombia|||
|Uruguay||238||0||0||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Uruguay|||
|Venezuela||106||0||17||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Venezuela|||
|Paraguay||41||3||0||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Paraguay|||
|Bolivia||32||0||0||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Bolivia|||
|French Guiana||20||0||6||2020 coronavirus pandemic in French Guiana|||
|Guyana||19||1||0||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Guyana|||
|Suriname||8||0||0||2020 coronavirus pandemic in Suriname|||
On 7 March, the Ministry of Health confirmed the country's first death, a 64-year-old man who had travelled to Paris, France, who also had other health conditions; the case was only confirmed as positive after the patient's demise. This also marked the first documented death from the virus in Latin America.On 20 March, Argentina entered a nation-wide lockdown, until 31 March.
On 10 March, the first two cases in the country were confirmed.
On 12 March, Bolivia suspended all public school sessions until 31 March, as well as all commercial flights to and from Europe indefinitely. They also prohibited large-scale public gatherings of more than 1,000 people.
On 26 February, the first case in the country and South America was confirmed. As of 14 March, Brazil confirmed 180 cases and 1490 suspected cases.On 14 March, Brazil confirmed 7 more cases.
On 3 March, the first case in the country was confirmed.
On 29 February, the Minister of Health in Ecuador, Catalina Andramuño, confirmed the first case of the virus in the country. The patient, a woman in her 70s, Ecuadorian citizen which resides in Spain, had arrived to Guayaquil on 14 February.
On 1 March, Andramuño announced that five new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Ecuador.
As of 13 March, there have been 23 confirmed cases, plus the first death linked to COVID-19.
On 11 March 2020, the first case of coronavirus was recorded in Guyana from a 52-year-old woman suffering from underlying health conditions, including diabetes and hypertension. The woman died at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
On 10 March, Paraguay suspended public school sessions and large-scale public events for 15 days due to the coronavirus.
On 13 March, Paraguay suspended flights coming from Europe.
On 13 March 2020, the Public Health Ministry announced the first four confirmed cases in the country. The number was updated to 29 on 3/16, to 50 on 3/17 and to 79 on 3/18
Prevention in other countries and territoriesEdit
Falkland Islands (UK)Edit
As of 26 March there have been no confirmed cases in the British territory. The King Edward Memorial Hospital is currently dealing with one suspected case. As a precaution, the islands' government has closed all schools and nurseries until 4 May.
- "Coronavirus update (live)". 20 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)". arcgis.com. Johns Hopkins University. Retrieved 19 March 2020.
- "Coronavirus en Colombia". www.ins.gov.co. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Confirmaron el primer caso de coronavirus en la Argentina: es un hombre que viajó a Italia". Clarín (in Spanish). 3 March 2020. Archived from the original on 3 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Confirmaron el primer caso de coronavirus en la Argentina". Infobae (in Spanish). 3 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- Quinn, Sarah Marsh (now); Ben; Campbell, Lucy; Rourke (earlier), Alison; Tondo, Lorenzo; Marsh, Sarah; Mason, Rowena; Campbell, Lucy (3 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Iran to mobilise 300,000 soldiers and volunteers as 23 MPs infected - latest news". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 3 March 2020 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Se confirmó el segundo caso de coronavirus en Argentina: es un hombre de 23 años que vino de Italia". Infobae (in Spanish). Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Primera muerte por coronavirus en Argentina: era un hombre que había viajado a Francia y estaba internado en el Argerich". Infobae (in Spanish). 7 March 2020. Archived from the original on 7 March 2020. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- "Argentina announces mandatory quarantine to curb coronavirus". Reuters. 19 March 2020. Retrieved 20 March 2020.
- Do Rosario, Jorgelina (20 March 2020). "Argentina Orders 'Exceptional' Lockdown in Bid to Stem Virus". Bloomberg News.
- "Confirman los dos primeros casos de coronavirus en Bolivia". Los Tiempos (in Spanish). 10 March 2020. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- "Gobierno suspende clases hasta el 31 de marzo y todos los vuelos europeos desde el sábado". Los Tiempos (in Spanish). 12 March 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "Brasil confirma primeiro caso da doença". Ministerio da Saude. 26 February 2020. Archived from the original on 6 March 2020. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- "SC tem 1ª transmissão local do novo coronavírus; casos da doença no estado chegam a 5". G1. 13 March 2020.
- "Pernambuco tem sete casos confirmados e já registra transmissão local do Covid-19". Diário de Pernambuco. 14 March 2020.
- "Chile records first confirmed case of coronavirus: health ministry". Archived from the original on 5 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "Twitter". mobile.twitter.com. Archived from the original on 7 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Colombia confirma su primer caso de COVID-19". www.minsalud.gov.co. Archived from the original on 9 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 March 2020. Retrieved 29 February 2020.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- @elcomerciocom (1 March 2020). "#ATENCIÓN La ministra de Salud, Catalina Andramuño, informa cinco nuevos casos positivos de #COVID19 en Ecuador. Los afectados son del círculo primario familiar de la paciente. Y se encuentran con sintomatología leve y se mantiene la vigilancia permanente" (Tweet) (in Spanish) – via Twitter.
- "Infection au nouveau Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), COVID-19, France et Monde". santepubliquefrance.fr (in French). 6 March 2020. Archived from the original on 6 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "COVID-19 : Point épidémiologique – Situation au 6 mars 2020". santepubliquefrance.fr (in French). 6 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Guyana confirms first case of coronavirus in woman who returned from U.S." Reuters. 12 March 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "Breaking News! Guyana records first coronavirus-related death". Kaieteur News. 11 March 2020. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- "Paraguay reports first coronavirus case". Deccan Herald. 8 March 2020.
- "Paraguay Suspends Public Schools for 15 Days Due to Coronavirus". The New York Times. Reuters. 10 March 2020. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Paraguay Suspends Flights from Spain Due to Coronavirus". ABC Color. ABC. 13 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- "Peru records first confirmed case of coronavirus, President Vizcarra says". Reuters. 6 March 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020 – via www.reuters.com.
- "Suriname confirms first coronavirus case, authorities will close borders". Reuters. 13 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020 – via www.reuters.com.
- "Gobierno anunció que hay 79 casos de coronavirus en Uruguay". Diario EL PAIS Uruguay. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "Régimen de Maduro confirma dos primeros casos de coronavirus". NTN24.com (in Spanish). 13 March 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Torrealba, Diego (14 March 2020). "Suben a 10 los casos por coronavirus en Venezuela". El Pitazo (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Falkland Islands: New stage in Government COVID-19 response". Merco Press. 26 March 2020. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Corona MAP - Daily updated interactive free map of the whole world.
- Coronavirus Timeline Map – Maps the timeline of the Coronavirus infections, deaths and recoveries.
- Epidemic data for COVID-19 – Maps total cases of coronavirus in the world, China and the United States, along with patient data.
- Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases and historical data by Johns Hopkins University
- CoronaMapper – Map with several updated statistics
- Coronavirus Updates – Daily updated totals of South America