Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/March 31
- 1521 – Ferdinand Magellan and fifty members of his crew went ashore to present-day Limasawa to participate in the first Catholic Mass in the Philippines.
- 1761 – Lisbon experienced its second major earthquake in six years, with effects felt as far north as Scotland.
- 1889 – The Eiffel Tower (pictured) in Paris was inaugurated.
- 1921 – The Australian Air Force was formed, replacing the short-lived Australian Air Corps and separating it from the army.
- 1995 – American singer-songwriter Selena, known as the "queen of Tejano music", was murdered by the president of her fan club, Yolanda Saldívar, in Corpus Christi, Texas, deeply affecting the Latino community.