- 1553 – Lady Jane Grey (pictured) was proclaimed the successor to King Edward VI of England, beginning her de facto reign as the "Nine Days' Queen".
- 1806 – Indian sepoys mutinied against the East India Company at Vellore Fort.
- 1921 – Irish War of Independence: One day after a truce was agreed between the Irish Republican Army and British forces, violence broke out between Catholics and Protestants in Belfast.
- 1941 – The Holocaust: Ethnic Poles murdered at least 340 Jewish residents of Jedwabne in German-occupied Poland.
- 2018 – The last members of a junior football team and their coach were rescued from a flooded cave in northern Thailand.