Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/July 10
- 1519 – Zhu Chenhao declared Ming emperor Zhengde (portrait shown) to be a usurper, beginning the Prince of Ning rebellion.
- 1800 – Lord Wellesley, Governor-General of India, founded Fort William College in Calcutta.
- 1921 – Irish War of Independence: One day after a truce between the Irish Republican Army and British forces was agreed, violence broke out between Catholics and Protestants in Belfast.
- 1940 – Second World War: The Battle of Britain, in which the Royal Air Force defended the UK from attacks by the German Luftwaffe, began.
- 1973 – John Paul Getty III, grandson of American oil magnate J. Paul Getty, was kidnapped in Rome.