Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/December 24
- 1814 – The United Kingdom and the United States signed a peace treaty in Ghent, present-day Belgium, ending the War of 1812.
- 1846 – The Sultanate of Brunei ceded the island of Labuan to the British Empire as a crown colony.
- 1955 – According to legend, the NORAD Tracks Santa program began after children began calling the Continental Air Defense Command Center to inquire about Santa Claus's whereabouts due to a misprinted phone number in an advertisement (pictured).
- 1979 – The Soviet government deployed troops in Afghanistan, starting the Soviet–Afghan War.
- 2008 – The Lord's Resistance Army, a Ugandan rebel group, began attacks on several villages in the north of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing hundreds and committing numerous atrocities.